Rams at Chargers: Shane's Select Seven

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...490/Rams-at-Chargers-Shanes-Select-Seven.aspx
Rams at Chargers: Shane’s Select Seven

The St. Louis Rams (4-6) will face the San Diego Chargers (6-4) in southern California Sunday. Currently, St. Louis sits in the NFC West’s basement while San Diego is third in the AFC’s corresponding division.

Of late, the Rams and Chargers have seemingly been heading in opposite directions.

While St. Louis has began to sizzle just a bit—winning two of its last three games and three of its last five, overall—the Chargers have cooled considerably—dropping three of their last four contests after kicking off the campaign with a 5-1 start.

1. Hill’s Second Helping
In St. Louis quarterback Shaun Hill’s first start since the season opener, he did everything that St. Louis Head Coach Jeff Fisher expected—and perhaps more—while posting a 102.7 rating on the strength of 20 of 29 passing and a touchdown throw.

“That’s the Shaun Hill that we expected to see,” Fisher said of Hill’s performance against the Denver Broncos. “I think you saw what he’s capable of doing last week: accurate throws, converting third downs and doing those important things.”

In Hill’s successful return to the lineup, he was able to beat pass pressure by finding and hitting open men with accurate footballs. Austin Davis, who started for St. Louis in weeks two through 10, was having an increasingly difficult time handling pass rush heat in his last few outings.

“He’s making decisions,” Fisher said of Hill. “He’s protecting the football. He threw the ball when he needed to. He took a sack when he needed to and didn’t take a hit. He’s seeing things well.”
Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer echoed Fisher’s comments regarding the swift throwing hand of Hill.

“He sees the game so well just from having played so much and being around it for so long,” Schottenheimer asserted Thursday. “The thing we all saw (is) he doesn’t hold it very long. The ball’s going to come out. Those guys know to get there head around and look for the ball.”

Perhaps the most vital element to Hill’s success against the Broncos was his ability to avoid any turnovers. In contrast to Hill, Davis tossed five interceptions in his last three starts.

According to Chargers two-time Pro Bowl safety Eric Weddle, he and his defense are not expecting Hill to suddenly become mistake or turnover prone in his second game back.

“Shaun Hill’s just a true drop-back,” Weddle said in a conference call Wednesday. “He gets the ball out quick. He’s a veteran quarterback. He does not make mistakes. You’ve got to try and make it tough on him and hopefully make some plays against him.”

For his part, Schottenheimer expects Hill to play well in his second game back as the offense’s signal caller.

“I know he’s enjoying himself and (is) well-prepared,” Schottenheimer said. “I expect him to play well this week.”

2. Rivers Rolling

Five-time Pro Bowl quarterback Philip Rivers is adding yet another strong season to his robust resume. Thus far this fall, Rivers is sixth in the NFL in both touchdown tosses (21) and passer rating (101.2).

If Rivers’ year were to end now, his aforementioned rating would represent the fifth-best of his 11 year career. Even better, his 66.8 completion percentage and touchdown percentage (6.4) would each stand as his second best marks ever.

Rivers, 32, obviously remains at the top of his game. This week, San Diego Head Coach Mike McCoy attempted to explain why.
350_rivers_rams.jpg
“I think number one, his accuracies are great,” McCoy stated. “He’s a football junkie. He obviously loves the game and he understands that it’s an honor to be a member of the NFL family and to go out there every Sunday. So, that’s the way he approaches every day of the year. If there’s anyway he can improve or work on something, he’s always doing that. The way he studies and his preparation is unbelievable. What he does on game day with the football team. To be the leader of our organization, we’re very fortunate to have him.”

From the Rams' point of view, Fisher knows what his defense must be ready for when facing San Diego’s standout QB.

"He’s high tempo,” Fisher said. “He’s going to change things. He does a really good job of attacking the defense."

3. Mason Making Money

(For Mason Making Money and four other separate sections including Guarding Gates and more, please click the link below for the full read, ROD. Thanks for the great support):
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...490/Rams-at-Chargers-Shanes-Select-Seven.aspx

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I really like the Rams odds of creating TOs this game. The secondary is healthy and the pass rush should create some ducks. Strip sacks are always a possibility. Big hits jarring balls loose. I don't see a weakness on this defense right now. Tree... OMG dude is rolling.

I predict the Rams will be widely considered the best defense in the NFL after this game.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Great article, Shane! I'm thinking the match up with Gates is going to be key to stopping the Chargers! He keeps them rolling on O more than anyone else outside Rivers!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Looking like it will be great weather conditions. Not quite a dome but 70 degrees and partly cloudy with no chance of rain. That's good news for GZ.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Another great read Shane. If Tree is able to control Gates on his own, this looks to be a very good game for our Rams. Our run defense is clicking and our rush should help out a rising defensive backfield. Looking forward to this game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Always an enjoyable read. Great way to compliment a morning coffee!

RE Hill; I can't help but wonder if the Rams think they moved to Hill a week or two too late?

RE Mason; I am a fan of all our running backs, but Mason has the speed to get around the corner. And... Yes, he's shown really nice vision.

RE Defense; it's been fun to watch. A stout run stuffing line and hard hitting secondary. Ogletree is starting to show consistency you'd expect from a first round talent. With Rivers targeting Gates, this could be a big game for Ogletree.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really like the Rams odds of creating TOs this game. The secondary is healthy and the pass rush should create some ducks. Strip sacks are always a possibility. Big hits jarring balls loose. I don't see a weakness on this defense right now. Tree... OMG dude is rolling.

I predict the Rams will be widely considered the best defense in the NFL after this game.

I agree with the first part... not so sure about the best D in the NFL (but I wouldn't mind it) :)

STL-Rams

Starter
Great article, Shane! I'm thinking the match up with Gates is going to be key to stopping the Chargers! He keeps them rolling on O more than anyone else outside Rivers!

Thank you a ton, rhinobean. Appreciate that greatly. Gates is a key, especially when looking at what he does in terms of scoring in the red zone.

STL-Rams

Starter
Looking like it will be great weather conditions. Not quite a dome but 70 degrees and partly cloudy with no chance of rain. That's good news for GZ.

Great weather expected, as usual in San Diego. For a kicker, that does always help..

STL-Rams

Starter
Another great read Shane. If Tree is able to control Gates on his own, this looks to be a very good game for our Rams. Our run defense is clicking and our rush should help out a rising defensive backfield. Looking forward to this game.

I agree, although the run D has to be ready as the Chargers will be a better attack with Matthews in the lineup (as he was last week). But if they handle the run and Gates, they should be in pretty good shape. Thank you for the very kind words, as well. I appreciate them.

STL-Rams

Starter
Always an enjoyable read. Great way to compliment a morning coffee!

RE Hill; I can't help but wonder if the Rams think they moved to Hill a week or two too late?

RE Mason; I am a fan of all our running backs, but Mason has the speed to get around the corner. And... Yes, he's shown really nice vision.

RE Defense; it's been fun to watch. A stout run stuffing line and hard hitting secondary. Ogletree is starting to show consistency you'd expect from a first round talent. With Rivers targeting Gates, this could be a big game for Ogletree.

Thank you, CGI_Ram... Always appreciate your kind comments.

As for Hill, I have been wondering the same thing. Of course, the Rams would never admit to that, but I bet there have been some coaches who have thought about that.

With Mason, I also like his burst and he has been showing plus-vision.

I love the physical nature of the secondary. I'm not sure there is another defensive backfield who hammers people like that of the Rams. The improved run D has been key in the D's overall progression, and I'm loving what Ogletree has been doing. He needs to have a top notch game in coverage against Gates.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love the physical nature of the secondary. I'm not sure there is another defensive backfield who hammers people like that of the Rams. The improved run D has been key in the D's overall progression, and I'm loving what Ogletree has been doing. He needs to have a top notch game in coverage against Gates.

And... The hard hitting Barron is only slightly in the mix so far (could see more today)... And... Joyner may not be big, but he's a hitter too.

This is going to be fun to watch.

STL-Rams

Starter
And... The hard hitting Barron is only slightly in the mix so far (could see more today)... And... Joyner may not be big, but he's a hitter too.

This is going to be fun to watch.

Good points... I haven't seen a collective group that is more physical anywhere in a long time. (McDonald, McLeod, Barron, Joyner and Johnson in particular). We've seen Jenks lay the wood at times, too, and Gaines is no slouch as a tackler, either. Roberson and Alexander can hit, too.

Alan

Legend
I tried to sign up on the site using Alan and they said it was taken. I tried to sign up using albefree69 and they said it was taken. Since only I would use that name I figured I had already signed up and told them I forgot my password and gave them my email (albefree69@comcast.net). No answer from them.

I've given up trying to sign up over there so I won't be commenting on anything you write about the Kroenke/St.Louis thing but I will be visiting your site the usual number of times. :)

Good stuff as usual in this article. I always enjoy your stuff Shane.