Rams at 49ers: Complete Preview of the Week 9 Matchup (CBS Sports 920/InsideSTL)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Rams at 49ers: Previewing the Week 9 Matchup
By Shane Gray

On Sunday, the St. Louis Rams will square off with the San Francisco 49ers at Levi Stadium in an all NFC West matchup. At 2-5, St. Louis sits in last place within the division. San Francisco, meanwhile, is second in the division with a 4-3 record. The 49ers have triumphed in each of its last three meetings against the Rams.

Overcoming Injuries

jakelong.jpg
St. Louis was decimated by injuries last week against the Kansas City Chiefs. In fact, Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher said the game was the single worst in relation to injury of any he has been a part of in 20 years as an NFL head man.

During the aforementioned contest at Kansas City, St. Louis lost six players who failed to return to game action, including two starters who have been placed on the season-ending injury reserve list: wide receiver Brian Quick and left tackle Jake Long. Against the 49ers, receiver Stedman Bailey will step into Quick's former spot while No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson will slide from left guard to left tackle in place of Long.

It had already been a tough fall for the Rams in regard to health, having endured a season ending preseason injury to quarterback Sam Bradford and serious injuries to defensive end Chris Long and cornerback Trumaine Johnson -- both starters.

Earlier this week, the Rams had 13 active players on their injury list, with all of them listed as either out or limited. By Thursday, six of the 13 were full-go practice participants, but the injury picture remains far from rosy.

For his part, however, Fisher will not allow the recent injury bug to be used as an excuse against the 49ers.

“We’re going to bounce back this week and go out and we’re going to play as hard as we possibly can against a good football team that we had a chance to beat here." Fisher said. "I’m not blaming anything on the injuries or anything."

To help fill various voids left by the walking and non-walking wounded, the Rams added several players this week, including 2012 first round safety Mark Barron via trade and wide receiver Damian Williams via free agency.

According to Fisher, both players have a chance to be active this week, particularly on special teams duty.

Second Half Shortcomings

(For the full read including six other keys in detail, please click the link below. As always, I greatly appreciate the wonderful support, ROD):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...s-at-49ers-Previewing-the-Week-9-Matchup.aspx

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thought I'd give this a bump for those who missed it and may be interested....

RamzFanz

Damnit
"Against the 49ers, receiver Stedman Bailey will step into Quick's former spot"

Is this fact or conjecture?

Alan

Legend
You must have posted this in stealth mode because I missed it too. Good stuff as usual Shane.(y)

I just hope the O-line gives Austin time to do...anything. I see them putting 8 in the box to take away the run and using their D-line/our O-line to shut down our passing game. But that's only when I open my eyes so...in my dreams we sack Kapernoodle 12 times, force 6 fumbles and win 2-0 on a last second safety. :banana::seizure:

STL-Rams

Starter
"Against the 49ers, receiver Stedman Bailey will step into Quick's former spot"

Is this fact or conjecture?

This was based on what Fisher said. He said that Bailey would step in for Quick earlier this week during a presser.

STL-Rams

Starter
You must have posted this in stealth mode because I missed it too. Good stuff as usual Shane.(y)

I just hope the O-line gives Austin time to do...anything. I see them putting 8 in the box to take away the run and using their D-line/our O-line to shut down our passing game. But that's only when I open my eyes so...in my dreams we sack Kapernoodle 12 times, force 6 fumbles and win 2-0 on a last second safety. :banana::seizure:
Thank you, Alan! Austin needs more time than he got last week... no question about it. I hope you are right about the sacks and fumbles this week, although I'd prefer more than 2 points :)

STL-Rams

Starter
"St. Louis was decimated by injuries last week against the Kansas City Chiefs. In fact, Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher said the game was the single worst in relation to injury of any he has been a part of in 20 years as an NFL head man."

The Chiefs also gave Kurt Warner his "floppy thumb" and was the beginning of the end for his time with the Rams. Damn Chiefs!

"In six of seven 2014 contests, the Rams have given up more points in the second half than they have attained."

A failure to make the correct adjustments at half-time coupled with possible poor conditioning?

"At the midway mark of the schedule, the St. Louis defense is blowing up the bottom of the league statistically in several areas, including but not limited to the following: the Rams are last in the league in sacks, worst in the NFL in passer rating allowed, worst in rushing yards allowed per game, has given up the league's sixth highest yard per reception average, has given up the NFL's highest passing percentage and has has allowed the league's second most points per game."

A scheme that's overly complicated which the players obviously have yet to get comfortable with. Last season Fisher eventually adjusted some things with an offense that was doing poorly. Let's hope he does the same for the D and soon.

This game is setting up to be a slaughter of epic proportions but you never know what will happen. That's why the games are played. Hope springs eternal.

I always enjoy your stellar follow up thoughts, Prime Time. Good stuff re: Warner and I certainly question the adjustments and the conditioning aspect has crossed my mind. Finally, it has been apparent that the Rams D is not 100% comfortable yet with the new defense.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I always enjoy your stellar follow up thoughts, Prime Time. Good stuff re: Warner and I certainly question the adjustments and the conditioning aspect has crossed my mind. Finally, it has been apparent that the Rams D is not 100% comfortable yet with the new defense.

I thought the LB's looked worse than I have seen in years........it was putrid.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Im in the camp that the Rams need a mean nasty MLB and move JL to the outside

STL-Rams

Starter
I thought the LB's looked worse than I have seen in years........it was putrid.

They obviously need to upgrade at linebacker. They won't give up on Ogletree and I don't see JL going anywhere, but it's time to get an upgrade and Dunbar's spot.