Rams aren't shopping Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
So did I miss it when the Rams said he was slotted in at the #1 WR position? I am looking for TA to be used effectively - not just be on the field for X number of snaps.

Not sure what you're talking about or why you quoted me tbh. My comment and the comment I replied to were specifically talking about tavons snap count dropping or not. Never was it mentioned about his effectiveness or anyone being the #1 wr

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure what you're talking about or why you quoted me tbh. My comment and the comment I replied to were specifically talking about tavons snap count dropping or not. Never was it mentioned about his effectiveness or anyone being the #1 wr
Well considering they added a better WR that will be playing the position he was mainly expected to play, um yea i think its fair to say he lost a lot of snaps. not saying hes now a reserve that will only play when someone gets hurt, but im pretty sure the new lineup is watkins, woods, kupp not to mention the 2 TE heavy sets.
This is what I was referring to. You don't think they signed Watkins to be the #1 receiver?

Ramzheart

Rookie
I think Austin's fate may lie more on how fast Kupp actually develops. Although the plan was to use Austin as a deep threat I believe, who knows if he would have succeeded there?! He hasnt had much success deep as yet when they tried in the past

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I mean #1 receiver is a fan created term, but yea obviously that's the plan
Not really fan created. More of a general term for the team's main receiver. I don't think TA was ever slotted for that. He's just not that player and I don't think was ever expected to be by the team.

Will he now live up to his contract with a real offensive mind? I hope so. But IMO signing Sammy will have almost no impact on that. Just my opinion. That's all.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Not really fan created. More of a general term for the team's main receiver. I don't think TA was ever slotted for that. He's just not that player and I don't think was ever expected to be by the team.

Will he now live up to his contract with a real offensive mind? I hope so. But IMO signing Sammy will have almost no impact on that. Just my opinion. That's all.

But it is fan created term. Coaches don't use #1 #2 #3 wr when they draw up their plays. They use terms like x y z or flanker, slot, split end. Watkins isn't replacing tavon as the best wr or what you may refer to as #1 wr, he's replacing him as the x or z. Or another popular way of putting it is Watkins is taking tavons place in that desean Jackson role while woods would remain in the Pierre garçon role and kill in the crowder role.

Yes Watkins is there best wr and therefore the #1 wr and while tavon did have that distinction prior to the trade they still were expected to play the same role.

Obviously I'm talking basic fundamental role not the whole gadget type plays specifically designed for tavons skillset

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well considering they added a better WR that will be playing the position he was mainly expected to play, um yea i think its fair to say he lost a lot of snaps. not saying hes now a reserve that will only play when someone gets hurt, but im pretty sure the new lineup is watkins, woods, kupp not to mention the 2 TE heavy sets.
Lol yeah I don't see where he plays. I think woods is more reliable and kupp will probably prove to be a better slot guy

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But it is fan created term. Coaches don't use #1 #2 #3 wr when they draw up their plays. They use terms like x y z or flanker, slot, split end. Watkins isn't replacing tavon as the best wr or what you may refer to as #1 wr, he's replacing him as the x or z. Or another popular way of putting it is Watkins is taking tavons place in that desean Jackson role while woods would remain in the Pierre garçon role and kill in the crowder role.

Yes Watkins is there best wr and therefore the #1 wr and while tavon did have that distinction prior to the trade they still were expected to play the same role.

Obviously I'm talking basic fundamental role not the whole gadget type plays specifically designed for tavons skillset
I get all that. I still don't think the Rams ever had the notion that they would consistently line up TA in any one position ala DJ. You can't really put the gadget aspect aside when talking about TA. He's a weapon on running plays, screens, occasional go routes, punt returns, end arounds, slants, etc... if we also have a couple other weapons on the field and can actually muster up a running game, other teams won't be able to key on him as much for fear of getting burned elsewhere.

Will it materialize? I suppose we'll see. But you play to strengths and route running was never his strength. Breaking ankles and cutting through openings is where he shines.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
But you play to strengths and route running was never his strength. Breaking ankles and cutting through openings is where he shines.

Agreed, which is why I think Woods and Kupp (and even Everett) will be extremely valuable for Goff; you know those guys will be where they're supposed to be, and can get separation in the process.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Austin's not traded, we really are looking at our 3rd down back. (Not sure what happens if we feel like we need to keep someone in to block).

There's just not a ton of snaps there for him at WR unless he motions out wide from the backfield.