Rams are simplifying their defense/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
SEA's approach?

Seattle plays a base cover 3 almost exclusively. That is the same D Penn State dominated with for decades. Bend but don't break, similar to the cover 2. Give up yards but not points. However Seattle is good enough that they don't give up a lot of Yards either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought they did a little less at the end of last year. In the beginning of the season Williams relied less on his Dline to create pressure and more on the blitzes. It didn't work too well. Now that he sees what he has in Donald and has added Fairley, he should have more confidence in the pass rush without the blitzes. I hope they are a little more selective with when they blitz.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Seattle plays a base cover 3 almost exclusively. That is the same D Penn State dominated with for decades. Bend but don't break, similar to the cover 2. Give up yards but not points. However Seattle is good enough that they don't give up a lot of Yards either.

Sounds like the D we ran when Fisher first got here. The year we opened against DET and barely lost. I believe we had 52 sacks that year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sounds like the D we ran when Fisher first got here. The year we opened against DET and barely lost. I believe we had 52 sacks that year.

The sack totals make sense when you consider the bend but don't break concept. Letting teams run the length of the field keeps the defense out there. So the more minutes the D logs the more opportunities for sacks.

I like Sacks and all but I prefer more 3 and outs myself.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The sack totals are such an over rated stat.

Teams specifically game planned against this pass rush by getting ball out in a lot of 3 step drops and quick throws. The best way to combat it by tackling. And that was the single biggest area of improvement over the second half of the season for this defense.

As for the simplification, I agree with many here. Its more about eliminating things they know they didn't do well. And building off the things the did.

The install can be overwhelming. I have always believed in ramping things up during the season. Throw more at them as the season progresses and save some stuff that you don't show early on.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If it ain't broke don't fix it. nuff said.
But it was broke the first 8 games.

Look at the final rankings compared to the same rankings over the last 8 games.

Why risk another less than stellar start due to over loading them with too much in training camp? Build more into it as the season goes on.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They said that Ogletree and Ayers could both play MLB. When they draft Dawson they will have three that can play MLB;)
I'm thinking the Rams should go with either Benardrick McKinney or Stephone Anthony, would be better choices, because of their size and speed!