Rams are leaning toward Robinson playing guard in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Rams are leaning toward Robinson playing guard in 2014
Posted by Mike Florio on May 12, 2014

robinson1.jpg
Getty Images

The Rams selected tackle Greg Robinson with the second overall pick in the draft. But Robinson may not be playing tackle in St. Louis, at least not initially.

Appearing on Monday’s edition of PFT Live, Rams G.M. Les Snead said that Robinson could begin his career in a different location on the offensive line, with starting left tackle Jake Long returning from a torn ACL.

“We really like Jake Long and we think he’s one of our best five offensive lineman,” Snead said. “His rehab is going as planned, so if it still continues to move down the path of being on schedule, he’ll be in the lineup Week One and right now Greg will be somewhere else on the line and right now it’s leaning towards a guard position.

“All through the process we talked about that and we’re actually jacked that he is there because, hey, Arizona, San Fran, Seattle, they’ve got really good [defensive tackles], [defensive] ends, linebackers. [Their] front sevens are really, really strong in our division and having good guards in Greg, whether it’s Greg, Roger Saffold getting out of those linebackers and being able to handle their defensive line, that’s going to really help us along the way.”

Snead explained that Saffold also will be playing guard, which would give the Rams one of the most potent tandems in the league on the interior offensive line.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
As long as Jake Long is good to go, it makes all the sense in the world. This O-line is ridiculous.

Now to figure out a way to stay healthy...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With a healthy Long, the left side of our line will be devastating

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
robinson1.jpg

You know... I've wondered the last few years they've had the jerseys with a name on them ready for the guy, were there Rams jerseys in the back with all of the other top picks on them too?

And what do they do with the ones not picked? Burn them?

I've wondered the same with hats and shirts of "NFC/AFC Champion" and "Super Bowl Champion" that pop up instantly. They had to have both sets ready to go, right?

rdw

Pro Bowler
Show me a team strong in the trenches on both sides of the ball and I'll show you a good team.
QB's who have all day to throw find open receivers.
QB's who have no time to throw go three and out or worse, turn over the ball.

jjab360

Legend
robinson1.jpg

You know... I've wondered the last few years they've had the jerseys with a name on them ready for the guy, were there Rams jerseys in the back with all of the other top picks on them too?

I've wondered the same with hats and shirts of "NFC/AFC Champion" and "Super Bowl Champion" that pop up instantly. They had to have both sets ready to go, right?
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...s-get-on-jerseys-so-quickly-at-the-nfl-draft/

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
robinson1.jpg

I was thinking the same thing during the draft this year. I know the championship game shirts are donated though

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
robinson1.jpg

I read before that they make them instantly behind stage. They're not stitched, they're iron-ons.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
They usually have nameplates for multiple draft picks that they can stick on the jersey.

They do make loads of the championship merch. That stuff can be found floating around in third world countries.

world-vision-super-bowl-bears.jpg

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
robinson1.jpg

The reason there's always a delay between when the pick is in and when it's announced, is because they have to iron the names onto the jerseys. They just have blank jerseys ready.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm so late. Bad internet. Took me like 10 minutes to type that.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The reason there's always a delay between when the pick is in and when it's announced, is because they have to iron the names onto the jerseys. They just have blank jerseys ready.

They get a little bit of a head start on these things as the networks are tipped off early so they can have their production graphics and highlight clips ready to go. I imagine the jersey crew gets the same courtesy.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
They get a little bit of a head start on these things as the networks are tipped off early so they can have their production graphics and highlight clips ready to go. I imagine the jersey crew gets the same courtesy.
As far as I know, it still takes them time to do it. At least that's how it used to be.

Alan

Legend
brring something strange happening in TC, this isn't a lean it's a set in stone IMO.

A55VA6

Legend
It's the smartest thing to play him at guard right now. Let him move outside later.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Yeah. NFL Network showed the press backstage during their coverage on Thursday night.

Speeps

Starter
This is a smart move. Hopefully he lines up at LG, so his eventual transition to LT will be smoother.

RamBill

Legend
Greg Robinson joins Anthony Stalter on The Turn on 101ESPN. He talks about being excited to play for the Rams and Coach Beaudreau. He had a feeling he’d be going to the Rams. Robinson is excited to be joining his Auburn teammate Tre Mason with the team. He thinks his aggression and how he attacks the game, along with his work ethic are his best attributes.

Listen to Greg Robinson Interview