Rams are hoping rookie TE provides instant impact

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Finding the Fits: Rams are hoping rookie TE provides instant impact

Tyler Higbee -- if he's available -- looks primed to be a favorite target of Jared Goff

by Rob Rang The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

[www.cbssports.com]

(This is part of a series -- Finding the Fits -- in which NFLDraftScout.com will review the more intriguing picks made during the 2016 NFL Draft. The goal is to identify one relatively unheralded player per team who appears to be a good schematic fit and, therefore, more likely to be a surprise contributor early in his pro career.)

Los Angeles' best fit: TE Tyler Higbee, Western Kentucky, No. 110 overall
By boldly trading up to the No. 1 overall pick to secure the services of California quarterback Jared Goff, the Rams made perhaps the splashiest move of the 2016 NFL Draft. While some quibbled with the price general manager Les Snead paid to make the move, the club was eager to attract the notoriously fickle fans in the "new" Los Angeles market, which would have been difficult after finishing dead last in the NFL in passing (175.3 yards per game) in 2015.

While the addition of Goff has largely been celebrated, the "other" talent general manager Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher brought to LA has generated significantly less interest. Of course, given that the Rams waited 109 picks and approximately 36 hours before making their next pick after Goff could have something to do with it.

That next pick -- Higbee -- could play a significant role on the Rams' offense as a rookie, as well. That is, of course, if Higbee is cleared to play at all. He pleaded not guilty on May 5 in his initial arraignment following a pre-draft arrest outside of a Bowling Green (Ky.) bar on charges of second degree assault, evading arrest and public intoxication.

Higbee's availability is somewhat in question. His talent is not.
In a weak year for tight ends, the 6-foot-6, 249-pound Higbee had generated a great deal of interest from scouts. Some viewed him as the second-best prospect in the class behind only Hunter Henry, the reigning Mackey Award winner who was selected 35th overall by San Diego.

Higbee began his career with the Hilltoppers at wide receiver and didn't emerge as a standout tight end until his senior season. Despite missing five games (as well as the Senior Bowl and combine) due to a knee injury, Higbee hauled in eight touchdowns on a career-high 38 receptions for 563 yards last year. When healthy, he showed off the agility, acceleration and soft hands to project as a featured target down the seam, where the Rams were looking to replace departed free agent Jared Cook.

Higbee possesses the natural receiving skills to make an immediate impact in the Rams' passing game but he is also surprisingly tough as a blocker. That kind of grit is expected on any team led by Fisher, who rightly will prioritize super-sophomore running back Todd Gurley as the main component of the Rams' offense.

"Tyler missed some games due to injury over the last couple years, but we watched him play and he just has that sense of urgency and that competitive drive," Fisher said. "He's a very physical player, dominant at times, at that level. We felt like he was going to create some matchup problems down the line."

Other thoughts on the Rams' 2016 draft class:
With Gurley the obvious headliner on offense and one of the league's most fearsome fronts leading the defense, Goff is theoretically heading into an ideal situation for a young quarterback. Further, his acclimation to the NFL should be aided with the Rams likely to incorporate even more of the quick passes to the perimeter and down the seam which Goff excelled at in college. While at California, Goff showed franchise quarterback caliber toughness, smarts, pocket mobility and most importantly, accuracy.

There are legitimate questions about his velocity, however, which is why the extended drops and deep sideline throws which had been a staple of previous offenses under Fisher are likely to be minimized. Instead, expect a healthy dose of Gurley running the ball with the passing game emphasis placed on bubble screens, quick slants and posts down the seam.

Some were caught off guard with Fisher's bold claim during OTAs that dynamic slot receiver Tavon Austin might catch 100 passes in 2016. While critics will quickly point out that expectations have been sky high for Austin since Snead and Fisher made him the eighth overall pick in 2013, this is the first time he's had an offense which fits his unique skill-set and a quarterback with the anticipation and accuracy (not to mention durability) to feature him. Complementing Austin will be Higbee and sixth-round tight end Temmarick Hemmingway, as well as rookie slot receiver Pharoh Cooper, who like Austin is essentially a moveable chess piece capable of making big plays as a runner or receiver.

Los Angeles' 2016 draft class:
1st Round, No. 1 overall: QB Jared Goff, California
4th Round, No. 110 overall: TE Tyler Higbee, Western Kentucky
4th Round, No. 117 overall: WR Pharoh Cooper, South Carolina
4th Round, No. 177 overall: TE Temmarick Hemmingway, South Carolina State
5thRound, No. 190 overall: LB Josh Forrest, Kentucky
6th Round, No. 206 overall: WR Mike Thomas, Southern Mississippi

Key Undrafted Free Agents Signed:
RB Aaron Green, TCU
CB Mike Jordan, Missouri Western
OLB Cory Littleton, Washington
DE Ian Seau, Nevada
WR Nelson Spruce, Colorado

Ram65

Legend
There are legitimate questions about his velocity, however, which is why the extended drops and deep sideline throws which had been a staple of previous offenses under Fisher are likely to be minimized. Instead, expect a healthy dose of Gurley running the ball with the passing game emphasis placed on bubble screens, quick slants and posts down the seam.

Really?

They all should contribute this year. How they do over the next few years will be fun to watch.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
His deep ball does wobble....Hopefully some added strength will fix that.

I really hadn't seen a bunch of Higbee tape...In years past, I'd look at a bunch of TE's...I really liked Kelsey....Those two from Rice (ones a 9'er the others a Seahawk)...I liked a guy named Jesse James...or something like that, think he's with Pitt. All because of measureables...Which is why I like Hemingway too....He can really be something to help Goff...I just don't know if this guy (really either TE's drafted) is ready.

And I have zero character concerns with Higbee...I think he was justified in slugging that stalker...Times are too crazy.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Hemingway and higbee are about the same height if I'm not mistaken, but higbee looks more stout. Like his frame is maxed out.

Hemingway looks like a big receiver. Maybe more in the mold of a Jimmy Graham. That said, hemingway looks like he could add another 15 or 20 pounds and still not be too bulky to affect his movement.

He's 6ft 5in, 245 pounds, and somehow looks slender. Has 34 inch long arms with 10 inch hands.

The more I think of the pick, the more I like it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have no idea how Higbee will turn out. He certainly has the skills to make an impact. But skill alone doesn't cut it in the NFL. I've seen enough fluff pieces this time of year to know not to get overly excited about a prospect. I'll just wait and see about these guys. Most times there's a reason they're day 3 picks. Some turn out good like Gaines, but most don't.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
What happened to Higbeasts JUNE 17 COURT follow up? Did it get quietly postponed ?

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...ee-pleads-not-guilty-to-second-degree-assault

Higbee is accused of knocking a man, Nawaf Alsaleh, unconscious outside a bar in Bowling Green, Ky., and sending him to the hospital for over a week with a concussion and a brain hemorrhage.

The 23-year-old claims that he was defending himself and his girlfriend, and pleaded not guilty to all charges during his arraignment on Thursday. His attorney, Brian Lowder, has denied that the incident was racially motivated, though Higbee admitted to police that he told Alsaleh, “Watch out, Haji.”

Higbee is due in court again on June 17 for a status hearing.

Higbeasts bump up against the little DB here draws a flag

macpunch.0.gif

Higbee is due in court again on June 17 for a status hearing.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

Dang! That's a long ass 4th round

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbeast is the first TE they've brought in that is actually big and physical with hands moreso than an athlete. You just don't need to get all crazy with speed and athleticism at the TE position, there are so many guys who have made a killing with decent or good athleticism given that they have the size, catch radius, and sure hands.

Hemingway is more inline with the Cook type athlete preference, super raw and long term project. I hope they both work out, but my expectation is that Hig has a real shot to do something in this league if he can avoid injury and keep his head on straight. The dude was there in round 4 for a reason: he's got a lot of risk.

IMO neither will provide too much boost right out the gate. I think Hig will start making plays down the stretch as he settles in to things and push for playing time, but if they hit on him chances are it will be a next year impact. I mean anything's possible and I'm hoping and all, but it's just more likely. Hemingway is definitely a year or two out. The guy who has the biggest hope of providing better impact at TE is Kendricks. This passing game is going to be enormously better due to the preparation and pressure this year's staff is laying on these kids.

Oh and Cooper. He is going to be a ROY candidate this year because he's gonna play a lot and play well. I think we can bank that, the dude is a straight gamer and if he's already shined in OTA it bodes extremely well for his chances to shock and awe in camp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really hadn't seen a bunch of Higbee tape...In years past, I'd look at a bunch of TE's...I really liked Kelsey....Those two from Rice (ones a 9'er the others a Seahawk)...I liked a guy named Jesse James...or something like that, think he's with Pitt. All because of measureables...Which is why I like Hemingway too....He can really be something to help Goff...I just don't know if this guy (really either TE's drafted) is ready.

I watched a metric TON of film on Brandon Doughty in prep for the draft. Same was true with most QBs I liked, but in his case Higbee just kept showing up and showing up and showing up. Dude just came with those question marks, and I expected him to go round 2 in spite of that stuff.

But either way this was a weird draft with TEs. There was a lot of value late IMO. I absolutely loved Williams who was signed as a UDFA by the Patriots, and of course Hig sliding to round 4 was just a great windfall for us. Worth the risk and I'm praying the dude comes in and works his butt off.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I really like the nickname HigBEAST.

This will now be the only name I use for our new TE.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Higbeast is the first TE they've brought in that is actually big and physical with hands moreso than an athlete. You just don't need to get all crazy with speed and athleticism at the TE position, there are so many guys who have made a killing with decent or good athleticism given that they have the size, catch radius, and sure hands.

I agree 100%, give me a TE who catches the ball even if it's not on target and that can pick up a some years on his own and I'm good. This is the type that is a good red zone weapon when the WR's all go into the end zone leaving space for a guy like this to catch the ball and then score.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
There are legitimate questions about his velocity, however, which is why the extended drops and deep sideline throws which had been a staple of previous offenses under Fisher are likely to be minimized.

:redcard::redcard::palm::jerkoff: I call bull shit on this. Why are these guys underestimating Goffs arm strength?? He can make every throw on the field and he will be dropping dimes deep down the field for the next decade.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There was a lot of value late IMO.
Yeah, I liked Williams a bit too...East Carolina kid, correct? I still wonder what was wrong with Jerrel Adams? The TE from South Carolina. Excellent run blocker, and by all appearances the #2 TE....He had a really good combine too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I liked Williams a bit too...East Carolina kid, correct? I still wonder what was wrong with Jerrel Adams? The TE from South Carolina. Excellent run blocker, and by all appearances the #2 TE....He had a really good combine too.

Yeah Adams is another one. Dude was a great value in round 6. Not sure why he fell that far, and the Giants might end up with a nice weapon with him in a year or two.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
:redcard::redcard::palm::jerkoff: I call bull crap on this. Why are these guys underestimating Goffs arm strength?? He can make every throw on the field and he will be dropping dimes deep down the field for the next decade.
Agree. Goff's "velocity" measured higher than Wentz and not too far from Aaron Rogers. Joe Flacco, who throws one of the best deep balls in the league threw 55mph for reference....

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2016/03/02/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

Ourlads’ Guide to the NFL Draft is the only source that gives the number for the quarterback’s velocity at the NFL Combine. Velocity is measured by a radar gun in miles per hour.

paxtonlynch.jpg

Paxton Lynch, Memphis

Year: 2016

Paxton Lynch, Memphis 59

Jared Goff, California 58

Carson Wentz, North Dakota State 57

Christian Hackenberg, Penn State 56

Joel Stave, Wisconsin 56

Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State 56

Josh Woodrum, Liberty 56

Cody Kessler, Southern Cal 55

Brandon Allen, Arkansas 55