Rams are hiring Holy Cross OC Liam Coen as assistant WR coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Los Angeles Rams: Holy Cross (FCS – MA) offensive coordinator Liam Coen has accepted a position on the Rams’ offensive staff, sources told FootballScoop. Coen joined the staff earlier this year, and prior to that was the offensive coordinator at Maine in 2016-17 and coached quarterbacks at UMass, Brown and Rhode Island.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's a ginger. Pretty soon the Rams gonna lead the league in them. :p

I like the QB background too. Here's an article from last year when he moved over to Holy Cross:

College football roundup: UMaine assistant headed to Holy Cross

Offensive coordinator Liam Coen will fill the same role for the Crusaders.

STAFF AND NEWS SERVICE REPORT

Liam Coen, the University of Maine’s offensive coordinator the last two seasons, is leaving to become the offensive coordinator at Holy Cross.

Coen, 32, announced on Twitter that he’s joining the staff of Holy Cross’s new head coach, Bob Chesney.

1307204_511787_umainefb_20kb.jpg

Liam Cohen

Coen, a star quarterback at UMass who has been an assistant at Brown, Rhode Island and UMass, was hired by Maine after Joe Harasymiak was promoted to head coach following the 2015 season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another old article. Note that the following season the team went 6-5 and scored over 22ppg which is a nice increase.

https://www.pressherald.com/2016/02/02/umaine-football-hires-offensive-coordinator/

New UMaine offensive coordinator: ‘Think touchdowns’

Former UMass QB Liam Coen plans to run a pro-style, spread offense with the Black Bears.

BY MARK EMMERTSTAFF WRITER

Liam Coen is already immortalized in the University of Maine football complex.

Sort of.
“There’s actually a picture of me in the facility getting knocked out,” Coen said Tuesday shortly after it was announced he was joining the Black Bears staff as offensive coordinator. “I got absolutely hammered by Daren Stone on a corner blitz. He got me right under the chin with his forearm and drove me into the ground.”

That occurred in 2005, when Coen was a redshirt freshman quarterback at the University of Massachusetts. He had the last laugh then – his Minutemen won the game – and he can still chuckle about it every day when his fellow coaches in Orono make sure to point it out to him.

Coen, 30, is replacing longtime offensive coordinator Kevin Bourgoin at Maine. Bourgoin wasn’t retained by new head coach Joe Harasymiak after he was hired in December to replace Jack Cosgrove. Shawn Demaray, who coached tight ends and was the chief recruiting coordinator, also will be replaced on Harasymiak’s staff. Running backs coach Roosevelt Boone will take over the recruiting duties.

Harasymiak is expected to promote defensive line coach Corey Hetherman to defensive coordinator, the position he held for two years before getting the top job.

For Coen, a four-year star at UMass, the challenge is to rev up an offense that has been stuck in neutral the past two seasons. Maine finished 3-8 last fall and averaged a mere 14.9 points per game, tied for ninth in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Coen has repeatedly watched tape of every Black Bears game from last year and came away impressed with wide receivers Micah Wright and Jordan Dunn. He also is optimistic about an offensive line that has four starters returning.

But quarterback and tight end are areas that need improvement, he said.

“My biggest thing is, be special. Don’t just settle for making the catch and getting tackled. Think touchdowns. We need to be more special and more dynamic with the ball in our hands,” said Coen, who plans to run a pro-style offense with spread principles, including occasional stints of no-huddle.

“The biggest thing is trying to get your playmakers the ball in space. Simplify the game plan. We’ll definitely try to impose our will. We’re in Maine, you’ve got to be able to run the football. But we’ll change tempo and use tempo as a weapon. The more you can get the defense to think, the slower they’ll play.”

Coen, who also beat Maine in Orono in 2007, holds nearly every UMass passing mark, including yards (11,031), completion percentage (63.9) and touchdowns (90). The Minutemen were FCS runners-up in 2006 before becoming an FBS program.

After graduating with a degree in communications, the Rhode Island native spent a year playing in the Arena Football League then embarked on a coaching career. He was quarterbacks coach at Brown and Rhode Island before returning to his alma mater as pass game coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

But Coen was looking for the chance to run an offense, and when some mutual acquaintances put him in touch with Harasymiak, at 29 the youngest head coach in Division I football, the two clicked.

“This is an unbelievable step for me in my pro career,” Coen said. “That was my big reason for taking the job is I want to call plays. I want to help a great program win a championship. I think the pieces are in place.”

Coen’s main priority will be selecting and grooming a starting quarterback. Senior Dan Collins and junior Drew Belcher are the front-runners after splitting time under center the past two seasons. Jack Walsh, who redshirted last season, also will be given a chance when spring practices begin April 14. But Coen said he likely won’t make a decision until August.

“They’re going to get plenty of chances to be in competitive situations,” Coen said. “Both guys have tools. They’re good kids. They’ve already come to me wanting to meet, wanting to learn the offense. They’re excited, which is the first thing that has to happen.”

Coen even said the picture of him hanging near his office, the one he has to see every day because “the other coaches on staff like it too much to take it down,” could serve as a teachable moment for his young signal-callers.

“Find the protection,” Coen said he’ll warn them. “And you’d better see the corner blitz.”

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They also signed former Rams player, Matt Daniels as Special Teams assistant

That's seriously cool. I always liked Daniels as a player, and I'm looking forward to him coaching.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams have added two young coaches, including a former Rams player, to the coaching staff.
144248308.jpg.0.jpg

Former St. Louis Rams S Matt Daniels during 2012 rookie minicamp
Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

The Los Angeles Rams have hired two assistant coaches to fill out the ranks for 2018.

Liam Coen will join the staff as assistant wide receivers coach. He has spent the last three years as the offensive coordinator at Holy Cross and the University of Maine. The spot became available in early January when Zac Taylor vacated the position to take a promotion to QB coach. He’ll work the position under Wide Receivers Coach Eric Yarber who is in his second season with the Rams in the job.

Matt Daniels will be an assistant special teams coach working under fan favorite Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel. Daniels played for the Rams in St. Louis from 2012-14 under Fassel on his special teams units. He had been at Colorado as a defensive graduate assistant. The job became available when Tyrone McKenzie headed to the Tennessee Titans to be their inside linebackers coach along with Offensive Coordinator Matt LaFleur.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...tant-wr-coach-matt-daniels-assistant-st-coach

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams coach Sean McVay hires Liam Coen and Matt Daniels as assistants
Rams coach Sean McVay, preparing for his second season, filled voids on his staff by adding Liam Coen as assistant receivers coach and Matt Daniels as assistant special teams coach, the Rams announced Monday.

Coen, 32, replaces Zac Taylor, who was promoted to quarterbacks coach. Coen will work under receivers coach Eric Yarber.

Coen was hired as offensive coordinator at Holy Cross in December after two seasons as Maine's offensive coordinator. Coen played quarterback at Massachusetts. He also coached there, as well as at Brown and Rhode Island.

Daniels, 28, played in six games for the Rams during the 2012 and 2013 seasons after signing with the team as an undrafted safety from Duke. He played in one game for the Chargers in 2015.

Daniels replaces Tyrone McKenzie, who was hired by the Tennessee Titans as inside linebackers coach. Daniels will work under special teams coordinator John Fassel.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-coen-daniels-20180226-story.html

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Coen_Web.jpg

FOOTBALL HIRES LIAM COEN IN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR ROLE

SponsoredByText.png

ORONO, Maine -- University of Maine head football coach Joe Harasymiak has announced the hiring of Liam Coen in the role of offensive coordinator.

"Liam will bring us the new voice and leadership that we need on the offensive side of the ball," said Harasymiak. "His great ability to teach and mentor our players will play a key role in developing our new system. He is very passionate about his job and is an extremely hard worker. He wants what's best for our program and players moving forward. We are very excited to have him on board and we are looking forward to the future."

Coen joins the Black Bears' staff after most recently serving a year as the pass game coordinator and quarterbacks coach at UMass. While in his previous role, Coen mentored first team All-MAC quarterback Blake Frohnapfel. Under Coen's guidance, Frohnapfel was selected to compete in the East-West Shrine Game.

Prior to his time on staff at UMass, Coen spent a total of four seasons, over two stints, as the quarterbacks coach at Brown. In his time at Brown, Coen assisted the offensive coordinator with pass game and weekly offensive game planning. During the 2010, Coen's assistance on offense helped lead the Bears to the Ivy League's top passing game, averaging 244.3 yards.

In 2011, he served as the quarterbacks coach at Rhode Island where his first and second-string quarterbacks both ranked in the top 10 in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) in total offense.

Coen comes to Maine very familiar with the CAA as he was a four-year starter at quarterback with UMass from 2004-08. Coen holds nearly every career UMass passing record including most yards gained (11,031), highest passing efficiency (152.92), completion percentage (63.9), completions (830) and touchdowns (90). In 2006 and 2007, Coen led the Minutemen to conference championships and guided UMass to a NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) National runner-up finish. During his career, he was honored with the Harry Agganis/Harold Zimman Award as the Outstanding Senior in New England Football. A two-time Walter Payton Award candidate, he earned All-CAA Second-Team honors in 2008. Following his time at UMass, Coen played quarterback with the Alabama Vipers of the Arena Football League in 2009.

Coen, a Newport, R.I. native, was born in Warwick, R.I. and played high school football for his father, Tim Coen, at La Salle Academy in Providence, R.I. In his senior year, Coen was named Gatorade Player of the Year and an All-State selection.

Coen graduated from UMass in December of 2008 with a Bachelors degree in Communications.

http://goblackbears.com/news/2016/2/2/2_2_2016_1150.aspx?path=football

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Los Angeles Rams continue to re-work their coaching staff this offseason with the addition of another coordinator from the college ranks. As first reported by Jason La Canfora, the Rams are hiring Holy Cross offensive coordinator Liam Coen as an assistant wide receivers coach.

Jason La Canfora

✔@JasonLaCanfora

Rams are hiring Holy Cross OC Liam Coen as assistant WR coach

10:49 AM - Feb 25, 2018

They’re also adding Matt Daniels as an assistant special teams coach, filling in for the since-departed Tyrone McKenzie.

Coen is the second college coach that the Rams have hired this offseason with Jedd Fisch from UCLA being the first. He’ll join head wide receivers coach Eric Yarber in that department.

Strangely enough, this is the second time Coen has been hired by a team this year. Holy Cross brought him on earlier this offseason as its offensive coordinator, but he never actually got the chance to coach a single came with the Crusaders.

He spent the last two years as the University of Maine Black Bears’ offensive coordinator, leading them to 24.6 points and 388.4 yards per game. This is his first opportunity in the NFL.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/26/nfl-los-angeles-rams-coach-hire-holy-cross-fcs-liam-coen/

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Liam Coen lands job with Los Angeles Rams

The former University of Massachusetts quarterback worked at Sachuest Beach in Middletown during the summer

5a9490478686d.image.jpg

Former La Salle Academy and University of Massachusetts quarterback Liam Coen, who worked two summers at Sachuest Beach in Middletown, will serve as assistant wide receivers coach for the Los Angeles Rams.

Liam Coen has come a long way from working at Sachuest Beach in Middletown.

The former La Salle Academy and University of Massachusetts quarterback recently landed a job with the Los Angeles Rams under wunderkind coach Sean McVay. Coen will be the assistant wide receivers coach with the NFC West champions, his first coaching position in the NFL.

“I'm still pretty much in utter shock,” Coen said by phone on Monday morning. “This is 100 percent a dream come true. This is everything I've ever wanted in life. All I wanted to do was to be in the NFL.”

Coen, 32, had dreams of finding an NFL roster spot coming out of UMass. When that didn't materialize, he went into coaching, but not before spending two summers working at Sachuest Beach, where his father, Tim Coen, was the beach manager. Eventually, Liam Coen caught on with the staff at his alma mater and served as the offensive coordinator at the University of Maine for the 2016-17 seasons.

In December, he was named the offensive coordinator at The College of Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, before the Rams came calling.

“Last year, I was talking to my girlfriend about what games she would be able to attend – the Albany game, the Stony Brook game,” Coen said. “This year, we're talking about the Seattle Seahawks. That really puts things in perspective.”

Tim Coen, who is a former coach at Salve Regina University and Portsmouth High School, shared his son's enthusiasm.

"Since he was a young kind, all he wanted to do was be involved in football," said Tim Coen, who still lives in Middletown. "It's a great opportunity for him, and we're thrilled."

Liam Coen got connected with the Rams through Shane Waldron, who served on the UMass staff alongside Coen. Waldron eventually got a job with the Washington Redskins, and when McVay went to the Rams, Waldron was brought along. He reached out to Coen to gauge his interest in working in the NFL.

“This is the pinnacle of my profession,” Coen said. “This is where everyone wants to get eventually. Everyone dreams of playing in, or coaching in, a Super Bowl. Just to have that opportunity to coach on Sundays.”

Coen said he feels bad about leaving Holy Cross – where former Salve Regina University coach Bob Chesney is the head coach – just a few months after accepting the position, but he knew this was an opportunity too good to pass up.

“It's a tough blow to any program who loses their offensive coordinator, and I felt guilty for that, but this isn't something that comes along very often,” he said.

The Rams were the surprise team in the NFL last season, winning their division before falling to the Atlanta Falcons in the wild-card round of the playoffs. Quarterback Jared Goff had a breakout year in his second season, throwing to the likes of Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp.

“My job is really going to be to help bridge the gaps between the quarterback and the wide receivers and help in any way I can,” Coen said. “I'll help the receivers understand things from a quarterback's perspective.”

Everything will be done under the 32-year-old McVay, who went 11-5 in his first season with the Rams.

“He's extremely sharp and extremely impressive,” Coen said of McVay. “Just from his energy, you can see why he's made such an impact already.”

Later this week, Coen will be speaking at the Big New England Football Clinic at the Newport Marriott. Then on Sunday, he's flying out to Los Angeles.

“I'm going from one Newport beach to the other,” he said with a laugh.

http://www.newportri.com/newportdai...cle_f4610be4-b852-578a-8906-7d65c9096a1f.html

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Excellent Cohen's Dad was a beach manager so besides assisting WR Coach Eric Yarber, he can assist new Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer to ensure he never runs out of beach chairs.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The Rams have added two young coaches, including a former Rams player, to the coaching staff.
144248308.jpg.0.jpg

Former St. Louis Rams S Matt Daniels during 2012 rookie minicamp
Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

The Los Angeles Rams have hired two assistant coaches to fill out the ranks for 2018.

Liam Coen will join the staff as assistant wide receivers coach. He has spent the last three years as the offensive coordinator at Holy Cross and the University of Maine. The spot became available in early January when Zac Taylor vacated the position to take a promotion to QB coach. He’ll work the position under Wide Receivers Coach Eric Yarber who is in his second season with the Rams in the job.

Matt Daniels will be an assistant special teams coach working under fan favorite Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel. Daniels played for the Rams in St. Louis from 2012-14 under Fassel on his special teams units. He had been at Colorado as a defensive graduate assistant. The job became available when Tyrone McKenzie headed to the Tennessee Titans to be their inside linebackers coach along with Offensive Coordinator Matt LaFleur.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...tant-wr-coach-matt-daniels-assistant-st-coach

Fassel must have liked Daniels for him to get this gig...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seriously McVay always giving opportunities for young talented coaches, he has not forgot how he was given opportunities to follow his passion. Usually a coach like Cohen has a hard time getting off the east coast, let alone an opportunity at the NFL level and for Matt Daniels, he was always a player the Rams kept, but could not stay healthy. Good for the Duke alum to coach along side IMO, the finest Special Team Coach in the National Football League in John "Bones" Fassel.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Fassel must have liked Daniels for him to get this gig...

Daniels was always a guy, who somehow made the team, but could not get on the field. So yes, Coach Fassel must think very highly of Daniels.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Seriously McVay always giving opportunities for young talented coaches, he has not forgot how he was given opportunities to follow his passion. Usually a coach like Cohen has a hard time getting off the east coast, let alone an opportunity at the NFL level and for Matt Daniels, he was always a player the Rams kept, but could not stay healthy. Good for the Duke alum to coach along side IMO, the finest Special Team Coach in the National Football League in John "Bones" Fassel.

In engaging younger coaches hopefully they won't be sitting on their laurels, they're at the start of their NFL coaching careers, they are going to be energetic, enthusiastic and hungry to do well - I really think it's a good move by McVay - I'm sure that a lot of vet coaches, with some money in the bank, coast a little...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I really think it's a good move by McVay - I'm sure that a lot of vet coaches, with some money in the bank, coast a little...

Good Points, however, it also seems McVay's energy is infectious and rubs off on the veteran assistants as well. Rams lost three very good assistants in Matt LaFleur, Greg Olson and Tyrone McKenzie, however, have replaced them with the likes of Jed Fische, Liam Cohen & Matt Daniels, besides promoting internally with Zac Taylor now the QB Coach and extra responsiblities for the likes of Kromer and Shane Waldron.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously McVay always giving opportunities for young talented coaches, he has not forgot how he was given opportunities to follow his passion.

I also like his focus on QB background (just like with Taylor who was the asst WR coach before Coen), and it ties in nicely with his next-level coaching style where he wants position groups to have a greater understanding of the scheme at large.

That's how it was with the whiners back in the day when Walsh ran the team, they were just smarter than the Rams across the board with players who were well prepared not to mention talented. Really like how the Rams operate now, it's so nice to see us becoming that smart and talented team from the top down.