Rams are Giving offensive Linemen Extra Look. PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c3546854-771b-5cce-a89e-35eb8f42b908.html

MOBILE, ALA. • Fifteen minutes into the first Senior Bowl practice of the week, Rams general manager Les Snead stood maybe 10 feet from the North squad offensive linemen, watching intently as they went through drill work.

It is a telling indication of how important the offensive line is to the Rams in 2015. Yes, the quarterback situation is the No. 1 priority, but the Rams need blockers. And possibly more than one.

At a minimum we’re talking about a starting guard to replace Davin Joseph. At center, Scott Wells’ future in St. Louis may depend on what the new offensive coordinator thinks.

And then there’s right tackle Joseph Barksdale, a pending free agent. If he signs elsewhere, that’s another void.

So the Rams could be looking for as many as three starters on the offensive line for next season. Snead and others among the Rams’ contingent of coaches and scouts at the Senior Bowl are looking for potential answers in Mobile.

Although the practices are the most important part of the week for coaches and scouts, the game itself takes place today at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Kickoff is 3 p.m.

As is usually the case, there were a couple of well-known no-shows this week in Iowa tackle Brandon Scherff and Florida State center Cameron Erving.

Scherff is considered the best offensive lineman in the draft, and many feel Erving is the top center. But there was still plenty to look at in a still-muddled offensive line picture.

“There’s a good bunch of guys here,” said Russ Lande, former NFL scout and current football analyst for multiple outlets. “It’s a great class in terms of depth. If you’re in that second to third round, and you want to find a starting tackle who can start as a rookie, I think you can find that guy.”

Near the top of the list in Mobile, with both regarded as potential first-rounders, are tackles T.J. Clemmings of Pittsburgh and La’el Collins of LSU. And keep in mind, more and more college tackles seem to be getting converted to guards in the NFL these days.

Clemmings, 6-5, 305, was a defensive lineman his first three seasons at Pitt (including a redshirt season), then switched to offense, where he started in 2013 and ’14 at right tackle.

“I just wasn’t having success on the defensive line, or playing as much as I wanted to,” Clemmings said.

Paul Chryst, Pitt’s coach at the time, broached the subject by telling Clemmings his jersey wasn’t getting dirty on defense — because he wasn’t playing.

“He said we can’t waste your talent,” recalled Clemmings, who at first glance looks like the Rams’ Barksdale. “So why don’t you try the offensive line?”

Clemmings told the coach he needed a little time to think it over. About 15 minutes later, Clemmings was back in the coach’s office. He was ready to try offensive line.

Things didn’t go smoothly at first, particularly when you consider that Clemmings went against Aaron Donald every day in practice in 2013.

Donald, of course, went on to earn a Pro Bowl berth and Defensive Rookie of the Year laurels (by the Pro Football Writers) in 2014 for the Rams.

“Aaron made you want to play better — up to the next level,” Clemmings said. “He just brought intensity out all the times. Sometimes we’d get him; sometimes we wouldn’t.”

The two have stayed in contact, and Clemmings said Donald has given him some info and tips on the Senior Bowl and the overall pre-draft process.

“That was actually very helpful,” Clemmings said. “He just talked me through the whole process and what to expect for the next couple, three months.”

Despite playing right tackle in college, Clemmings got some work at left tackle this week in Mobile. According to some accounts, he still looks a little raw as a blocker.

Although Rams defensive tackle Michael Brockers is three years removed from his time at LSU, Collins remembers going against him in practice as well back in the day. Collins said he held his own in those sessions in Baton Rouge.

“Absolutely. There was always a high level of competition at LSU,” Collins said. “That’s why being here (at the Senior Bowl) kind of reminds me of home. Going against great quality players all the time.”

According to Collins, he was named La’el by his mother and grandmother, and it means “Belonging to God.”

Collins, 6-5, 321, worked at both left and right tackle during the practice week. In today’s college game, many tackles operate out of 2-point stance, and Collins looked a little uncomfortable operating out of the traditional 3-point stance.

Overall, it looked like the South squad had the better talent among offensive line prospects.

Although it’s not considered a great year in the draft for centers, Dillon Day of Mississippi State and Shaq Mason of Georgia Tech had their moments.

At guard, Alabama’s Arie Kouandjio isn’t considered as athletic as twin brother Cyrus — now with the Buffalo Bills — but is a physical blocker at 6-5, 315.

Donovan Smith of Penn State has been compared to D.J. Fluker. Although he still had a year of college eligibility remaining, Smith was allowed to compete at the Senior Bowl because he already has his college degree. He’s considered a prospect at both guard and tackle.

Jamal Douglas of Arizona State started two years at guard and one season at tackle, and is known for his quick feet and mobility.

Some consider Colorado State tackle Ty Sambrailo the most athletic offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl, but some question his physicality.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Alabama’s Arie Kouandjio isn’t considered as athletic as twin brother Cyrus
Geez, he must be a statue then cause Cyrus moves like the tin man...Still no respect for Tomlinson or the kid outta Penn State?...hmmmmm

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Geez, he must be a statue then cause Cyrus moves like the tin man...Still no respect for Tomlinson or the kid outta Penn State?...hmmmmm

lol.. Didn't realize that. I watch him closer now. Myself, I don't think QB should be #1 priority in the draft for us as the article stated. I'm of the ilk OL should be given #1 priority.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Go gettem Snead ! Your the man ! We need O-line help, there goes two to three rounds of just O-line help

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'd say offensive line is even more important than QB. I'd go Oline with the first two picks unless a really great QB falls to us, which is unlikely.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
If the Rams of old had anything it was at least 2-3 Rams helmets on the offensive line in the Pro-Bowl. We had 3 centers play for almost 10 years. The names and talent are imbedded in all the real old Rams fans like myself. Its now the last Best time to try and bring back the PRIDE of the old Rams offensive lines. Yes it's Fishers best chance at keeping his job and our QB as safe as possible as we truly compete in the Trenches of the dominent NFC West. Coach Boo will need cases of 5 hour energy with the influx we all expect from at least one new Free Agent and hopefully 2 new draftee's along with a healthy (finally) B.Jones or our giant late 7th rounder Rhaney adding competition with Person if re-signed I think.

As we watch the Senior Bowl and OT-G Collins and guard Tomlinson and the others highly touted here from GT and those not here from Iowa and FSU. Come on Snisher bring back THE PRIDE.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Sorry about this Admins and Mods.. I wasn't thinking and didn't put this in NFL Draft/College forum. My humblest apologies.

I'm not going to blame pain meds either. :cool:

SierraRam

Recreational User
If the Rams of old had anything it was at least 2-3 Rams helmets on the offensive line in the Pro-Bowl. We had 3 centers play for almost 10 years.

I think Pace was the last Pro Bowl OL for us and that was 10 years ago!

We need to restore our tradition of having strong Centers too. It's Sad - gone are the days of Iman, Saul and Brown...

Bring in that Monster from Florida State - That guy is active and nasty!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I think Pace was the last Pro Bowl OL for us and that was 10 years ago!

We need to restore our tradition of having strong Centers too. It's Sad - gone are the days of Iman, Saul and Brown...

Bring in that Monster from Florida State - That guy is active and nasty!

Erving would be a good choice.. Most definitely.. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking we have to take him at #10. I doubt if he would make it to us in 2nd? Thoughts?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
If the Rams of old had anything it was at least 2-3 Rams helmets on the offensive line in the Pro-Bowl. We had 3 centers play for almost 10 years. The names and talent are imbedded in all the real old Rams fans like myself. Its now the last Best time to try and bring back the PRIDE of the old Rams offensive lines. Yes it's Fishers best chance at keeping his job and our QB as safe as possible as we truly compete in the Trenches of the dominent NFC West. Coach Boo will need cases of 5 hour energy with the influx we all expect from at least one new Free Agent and hopefully 2 new draftee's along with a healthy (finally) B.Jones or our giant late 7th rounder Rhaney adding competition with Person if re-signed I think.

As we watch the Senior Bowl and OT-G Collins and guard Tomlinson and the others highly touted here from GT and those not here from Iowa and FSU. Come on Snisher bring back THE PRIDE.

Welcome aboard man!!! Loved your post as I agree with you on OL.. Games are won in the trenches I firmly believe. Again welcome aboard.

PS. You might want to check out this thread and introduce yourself. It's not a prereq to be here, but kind of cool.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/re-introduce-yourself.10291/page-114

SierraRam

Recreational User
Erving would be a good choice.. Most definitely.. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking we have to take him at #10. I doubt if he would make it to us in 2nd? Thoughts?

I'm holding out hope for Rhaney as our Center. The guy had a great senior season and pro day. I know, I know - the last Center we red-shirted (Jones) hasn't done anything yet...

Erving would be nice, but I'm thinking best available OL first round, and that's probably too high for him. I'd rather have a versatile G/T. If Erving is there in the 2nd, hmmm : Best OL again - and that would probably be him...

I'm with you @Yamahopper
images
Worthless

jap

Legend
I would think that with Sam's back to back ACL woes, the importance of the OL weighs heavily on the minds of Snisher and company, for the sake of Sam and every Horns' signal caller. They would only be fulfilling what they claimed they intended to do, build the team from the pits outward. Well, they have their starting DL stocked with #1 draft choices; time to complete work on the opposite side of the pits

I have always felt sorry for Coach Bou being forever tasked with converting marginal NFL players into functional OL people. I was so glad they finally able gave him a blue chip prospect to work with last draft in GRob. More would be even more helpful this time around.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I'm holding out hope for Rhaney as our Center. The guy had a great senior season and pro day. I know, I know - the last Center we red-shirted (Jones) hasn't done anything yet...

Erving would be nice, but I'm thinking best available OL first round, and that's probably too high for him. I'd rather have a versatile G/T. If Erving is there in the 2nd, hmmm : Best OL again - and that would probably be him...

I'm with you @Yamahopper
images
Worthless

Very good point on Rhaney.. Damn I had completely forgot about him.. :eek: I have more hope now. Thanks. :cool:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm all for the OL. That Shaq Mason kid from GT is intriguing if he's moving to Center.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some consider Colorado State tackle Ty Sambrailo the most athletic offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl, but some question his physicality.

No. Not accurate at all. Sambrailo is a solid athlete but he's not the most athletic guy. And he's definitely not lacking physicality. Guy is like Harvey Dahl, he plays PAST the whistle. He just lacks functional strength and definition at this point. Needs to get into a NFL S&C program to improve his body and strength.

Athos

Legend
What I got out of that is:

CLEMMINGS
CLEMMINGS
CLEMMINGS

Facing Donald every day in practice? Talk about EXPERIENCE, considering Donald pretty much played like a vet DT the entire year and not only a vet DT, but the best 4-3 DT in the league.

Clemmings has fire to play football from what I've been reading.

I'm resigning myself to the fact we might have to hope and pray he makes it to 10.