Rams apply first-round tender to Dominique Easley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/07/rams-apply-first-round-tender-to-dominique-easley/

Rams apply first-round tender to Dominique Easley
Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2017

630003192-e1488918501524.jpg
Getty Images

The Rams signed defensive tackle Dominique Easley after the Patriots released the 2014 first-round draft pick. And now that Easley is eligible for free agency, the Rams have a fairly cheap way to keep him from leaving.

The Rams, per a league source, have applied the low-level, original-round tender to Easley. It allows them to keep him for $1.797 million, and to get a first-round pick if someone else signs him to an offer sheet that the Rams don’t match.

Easley appeared in all 16 games (zero starts) last year, with 3.5 sacks. He appeared in 11 games in 2014 and 11 games in 2015 with the Patriots, started three times.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good. Easley could easily start opposite Donald, so keeping him at his original round tender is a very smart move.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the warm Southern California weather & natural grass agrees with both of his surgically repaired knees. I would also think that the Phillips defense is a perfect fit for Easley too.

Ram65

Legend
Have been hoping the Rams keep Easley. Great move. He can move around the line. He has a really good get off the ball. Way to go Rams!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I wonder if they'll match any offer that comes for him. Although i don't think any team will give up a 1st rounder for him.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Would think signing Easley ends Sims time with the rams, wonder if they keep Hayes around too. The money is not starters money, but still significant.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Best FA signing by Fisher?

I think that still goes to Hayes, but there weren't many other good ones. Britt gets bonus points for being the first 1k receiver since Holt. Stats-wise, Jared Cook owns most of the Rams TE records, but he cost way too much and had a remarkable ability to do stupid stuff at the wrong time.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Would think signing Easley ends Sims time with the rams, wonder if they keep Hayes around too. The money is not starters money, but still significant.

I really don't see a place for Sims with or without Easley any longer. As far as Hayes goes, i'd try and include him with TruJo in a package deal with Cleveland. Since it's pretty much assured Cleveland will be using their overall # 1 pick on DE Myles Garrett, and they will have last years pick Emmanual Ogbah working the opposite side, Hayes would make an excellent veteran rotational player for Greg Williams. jmo.

Ram65

Legend

Interesting thought. Not a big fan of Sims but he only counts about 2% of cap and played better last year. Hayes is 3.25% at 5.5 Million. Hayes plays better in rotation than full time. He can play inside on pass downs and DE any down. The Rams can keep a nice rotation with Easley. Phillips will be shaping the defense to his liking. Rams don't have a lot weight on DL and I'm not sure about the young guys. It will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

http://www.therams.com/team/roster.html

95 Hayes, William DE 6-3 278 31 9 Winston-Salem State
98 Jones, Lenny DE 6-3 269 25 R Nevada
96 Longacre, Matt DE 6-3 260 25 2 Northwest Missouri State
94 Quinn, Robert DE 6-4 264 26 6 North Carolina
97 Sims, Eugene DE 6-6 269 30 7 West Texas A&M
70 Fox, Morgan DL 6'4 259 R Colorado State-Pueblo
90 Brockers, Michael DT 6-5 326 26 5 LSU
99 Donald, Aaron DT 6-1 285 25 3 Pittsburgh
62 Trinca-Pasat, Louis DT 6-1 292 25 1 Iowa

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Good move...

I thought the highest pick we could get would be a 2nd if someone signs him????

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Great move and one we all saw coming. The only questions are: 1) can he stayed just as motivated without Sargent Wauffle around? and 2) if he performs well, what's the risk of losing him? Will we be able to tender him again or would he become an outright ufa?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Happy to see this. It's going to be fun watching Wade's front seven fall into place.