Rams announce first cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree, but if we have a few injuries, he's a sensible next in line. We need folks behind Tavon who've played a few downs. We don't have enough proven performance in our top 4 (Quick, Britt, Tavon, Bailey) to warrant cutting folks who have experienced to take flyers on folks who haven't. Maybe next year if this top 4 really gels, then we can release a vet or two for a project guy.

Who's the flyer? Pettis? He's worth 2 Givens right now. You gotta catch the ball to have value as a WR.

Ramathon

...- so you're not gonna cut a guy whos real fast - like superman fast,...

Are we talking about Chris Givens...the WR for the Rams.(???) Superman Fast???

Not hardly Superman fast. He darn near got run down on his TD catch Sat night. If Gilbert hadn't had to run half way across the field in addition to down the field, he would have caught Givens rather easily. And if I'm not mistaken, G's fastest recorded 40 was 4.31. That's pretty darn fast, but not remotely 'Superman fast'.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....if Givens hadn't had that one beautiful stretch of 50+ yd catches in his rookie season, his resume would be pretty darn thin. That stretch was great, no doubt. But if you look at his stats w/o those 5 catches, it's pretty weak.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they should have cut him and kept TJ Moe, but depending on how many WR's they decide to keep whenever Bailey's suspension is up, I would not be the least bit surprised to see Givens be the one kicked to the curb.

RamWoodie

Legend
I would have liked to see TJ Moe kept over Givens. Givens is overrated in my opinion
Huh.jpg

Nuff said!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I considered that Superman fast.

I do as well.

(Not a Givens endorsement - in fact, now that (imo) we need to keep another CB, he may be gone when Bailey returns. I like Pettis better).

reggae

not anymore!!!!! and are you ready to play Givens in the slot ahead of Austin? especially when Givens will NOT go over the middle unless its vs. man coverage on a simple crossing route!
Quick was better than Givens last year.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't know why everyone is so upset that they cut Moe instead of Givens. There are still many more players to be cut so don't stress out if you hate Givens. Personally, I think it was the right move because Givens has spent a couple years in the system, started at WR last year, and has deadly speed. Plus he scored in preseason which is more than Moe could manage in his few attempts. Givens has regressed greatly but he still has ST value. If I was calling the shots, I would keep him until Bailey gets back and then trade him for a draft pick if possible because someone will be willing to give him a chance with that kind of hustle.

RamWoodie

Legend
In my mind...whatever went on with Givens was *probably* personal because you look at the guy play against Cleveland and he was engaged and he took advantage of his opportunities.

Now I'm talking based on the reports about Givens because from everything I read, people were scratching their heads. Something impacted this guy to a point where he lost focus. This *could* be a person who doesn't say much about what's going on in his personal life...and doesn't share much about it..."perhaps". However that's just me speculating. Time will tell if he's back to himself.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WHOA NELLIE!!!! The one thing Chris Givens has NOT done with any consistency is score TDs. He has THREE in 25 starts, and 31 games he has played in. All this talk of him taking the top off of defenses is actually tiresome, because he hasn't done it other than in those now infamous games in his rookie season. For what it's worth, his 75 yard TD catch and run this past week never happens come Sept. because THAT route and role be Tavon Austin's once they count.

He is, and will be relegated to spot duty, and IMO, will be in serious jeopardy, once Bailey gets back from his suspension. Especially with the injury situation likely to cause some disproportionate numbers as far as the roster is concerned.

I believe Pettis will be in serious jeopardy when Bailey get back. They are essentially the same player with Bailey being better at everything. Nothing is wrong with Pettis but Fisher likes diversity and that is what Givens bring. Yeah he had a down year this year and his preseason hasn't been all that good but neither has Pettis neither has Tavon. He is goin into his third year and he was a fourth rd draft pick. At first I remember you saying he lost his speed but on that play he beat and broke a tackle from Justin Gilbert and outran everyone. That is what he brings and even if it is in spot duty we need that

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

Coach, What do you think the future is for Christian Bryant? I know he didn't practice much but did he show anything that may garner a roster spot or PS consideration? I thought he looked like an NFL player in College.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Of Blake, Harris, and Veltung which has the best of making the team? I'm pulling for Blake because I always like his papa.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I believe Pettis will be in serious jeopardy when Bailey get back. They are essentially the same player with Bailey being better at everything. Nothing is wrong with Pettis but Fisher likes diversity and that is what Givens bring. Yeah he had a down year this year and his preseason hasn't been all that good but neither has Pettis neither has Tavon. He is goin into his third year and he was a fourth rd draft pick. At first I remember you saying he lost his speed but on that play he beat and broke a tackle from Justin Gilbert and outran everyone. That is what he brings and even if it is in spot duty we need that
It wasn't me that said he has lost his speed. That's the least of my concerns with him. I think he has lost his heart. He didn't do himself any favors with this coaching staff when the first thing he says when they got here in the spring, was to admit he really didn't work all that hard LAST YEAR, after thinking he had arrived with his rookie season. Then he goes out and wets the bed the last year.

I know he was trying to fame it as he learned from it, but that's not exactly how you win the confidence of a staff as you are getting ready to start OTAs. He has been buried on the depth chart ever since. That's obviously just a guess on my part, and doesn't even get into the on the field issues that still show up. Like he just doesn't show any interest or ability to fight for a contested ball. That his route tree is limited to basically FOUR routes. That if he doesn't get behind someone, he will give up on his route. I could go on, but at this point, it would just be piling on.

Bottom line, he has been passed up by other receivers, and the minute Kenny Britt showed up, the writing was on the wall. And how did he respond to the challenge? He folded up like a cheap suit.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It wasn't me that said he has lost his speed. That's the least of my concerns with him. I think he has lost his heart. He didn't do himself any favors with this coaching staff when the first thing he says when they got here in the spring, was to admit he really didn't work all that hard LAST YEAR, after thinking he had arrived with his rookie season. Then he goes out and wets the bed the last year.

I know he was trying to fame it as he learned from it, but that's not exactly how you win the confidence of a staff as you are getting ready to start OTAs. He has been buried on the depth chart ever since. That's obviously just a guess on my part, and doesn't even get into the on the field issues that still show up. Like he just doesn't show any interest or ability to fight for a contested ball. That his route tree is limited to basically FOUR routes. That if he doesn't get behind someone, he will give up on his route. I could go on, but at this point, it would just be piling on.

Bottom line, he has been passed up by other receivers, and the minute Kenny Britt showed up, the writing was on the wall. And how did he respond to the challenge? He folded up like a cheap suit.

I agree with everything that you have said. I think it basically comes down to him regaining his confidence again. He played with a nagging ankle and shoulder injury last year. He is never going to be that Julio jones or even Kenny Britt type of guy but he can be a mike Wallace just less expensive

ViperLjs

Rookie
He is a receiver that went to Mizzou - which is why you see more attention given to him by the local fans - probably more than he deserves, IMHO (and it seems the Rams opinion as well).

I'm a Mizzou fan so I know why Moe gets hyped around here: he is smart, strong, a good route runner, and has FANTASTIC hands. Everyone only talks about the fact that he lacks deep speed, but he had the best bench press (by a lot, at 26 reps), 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle, and 60 yard shuttle among all the wide receivers at the combine.

He really looks like he could be a bigger version of Amendola; I'm not sure why the Rams gave him so few chances. Honestly I'm bummed they let him go already, and surprised that the guys like Hooey are still on the roster.

Last edited:

AZRamsFan93

I'm a Mizzou fan so I know why Moe gets hyped around here: he is smart, strong, a good route runner, and has FANTASTIC hands. Everyone only talks about the fact that he lacks deep speed, but he had the best bench press (by a lot, at 26 reps), 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle, and 60 yard shuttle among all the wide receivers at the combine.

He really looks like he could be a bigger version of Amendola; I'm not sure why the Rams gave him so few chances. Honestly I'm bummed they let him go already, and surprised that the guys like Hooey are still on the roster.
No offense, but your response was right on cue... You made my point for me.

ViperLjs

Rookie
No offense, but your response was right on cue... You made my point for me.
Well, sure.... A guy who grows up in STL and plays for MIzzou is going to garner more attention than your average UDFA around here. Doesn't necessarily mean we're not being objective about him; he has the same physical attributes that made Amendola a good player: elite short-area quickness and great hands.

Remember, just because a guy gets cut doesn't mean he's a bad player. We picked up Barksdale after he got cut from a terrible Raiders team, and Amendola himself was a UDFA who bounced around several teams at the beginning of his career.

Simba

Rookie

Maybe just because he came at the wrong time.Now we have a good group of recivers, as never before.For now we are not going to look for a good wr.