Rams announce first cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
WHOA NELLIE!!!! The one thing Chris Givens has NOT done with any consistency is score TDs. He has THREE in 25 starts, and 31 games he has played in. All this talk of him taking the top off of defenses is actually tiresome, because he hasn't done it other than in those now infamous games in his rookie season. For what it's worth, his 75 yard TD catch and run this past week never happens come Sept. because THAT route and role be Tavon Austin's once they count.

He is, and will be relegated to spot duty, and IMO, will be in serious jeopardy, once Bailey gets back from his suspension. Especially with the injury situation likely to cause some disproportionate numbers as far as the roster is concerned.

Yep. If he makes the team i don't think he makes it past the Eagles game unless he suddenly becomes everything he's not.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
I don't get all the givens hate. I think he'll be better if he's not expected to be a #1. Playing in the slot against lesser cornerbacks I think could benefit him greatly. Besides that he's not had a bad career thus far. He's been a helluva lot better than Quick to this point..

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't get all the givens hate. I think he'll be better if he's not expected to be a #1. Playing in the slot against lesser cornerbacks I think could benefit him greatly. Besides that he's not had a bad career thus far. He's been a helluva lot better than Quick to this point..
not anymore!!!!! and are you ready to play Givens in the slot ahead of Austin? especially when Givens will NOT go over the middle unless its vs. man coverage on a simple crossing route!

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Givens was damn near run down by a line backer at the goal line.

If it was the rookie LB from Iowa via Hazelwood nothing to be ashamed of or be concerned with since he also runs in the 4.something forty plus had a slight angle.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Givens' speed and elusiveness in the slot are very valuable. If Tavon is injured, he'd fit TA's role very well. If they play to Givens' strengths, he has great potential. He's not a #1 WR, but that simple crossing pattern & other patterns could be his bread & butter.
IMHO, we have Quick & Britt as our twin tower threats, Bailey & Pettis as our go-to possession guys, and Austin-Givens as our speed burners. I actually really like our WR corps for once, they are balanced & all seem competent at what they do. Hopefully, we simply go w/ 5 WR's at the start of the season & drop a TE or something to add Bailey once he comes back.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
To anyone.... Are these cuts being announced first via twitter. Can not find any "news" outlets with Ram names.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Givens' speed and elusiveness in the slot are very valuable. If Tavon is injured, he'd fit TA's role very well. If they play to Givens' strengths, he has great potential. He's not a #1 WR, but that simple crossing pattern & other patterns could be his bread & butter.
IMHO, we have Quick & Britt as our twin tower threats, Bailey & Pettis as our go-to possession guys, and Austin-Givens as our speed burners. I actually really like our WR corps for once, they are balanced & all seem competent at what they do. Hopefully, we simply go w/ 5 WR's at the start of the season & drop a TE or something to add Bailey once he comes back.
I agree with you about the balance, but to think that Givens is even close to being the player he was in his rookie year, you are fooling yourself. He has looked disinterested throughout the majority of training camp, and going all the way back to OTAs, have gotten FAR fewer reps than any of the top 6 WRs.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
For what it's worth, his 75 yard TD catch and run this past week never happens come Sept. because THAT route and role be Tavon Austin's once they count.

I agree, but if we have a few injuries, he's a sensible next in line. We need folks behind Tavon who've played a few downs. We don't have enough proven performance in our top 4 (Quick, Britt, Tavon, Bailey) to warrant cutting folks who have experienced to take flyers on folks who haven't. Maybe next year if this top 4 really gels, then we can release a vet or two for a project guy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree, but if we have a few injuries, he's a sensible next in line. We need folks behind Tavon who've played a few downs. We don't have enough proven performance in our top 4 (Quick, Britt, Tavon, Bailey) to warrant cutting folks who have experienced to take flyers on folks who haven't. Maybe next year if this top 4 really gels, then we can release a vet or two for a project guy.
I never said he would be cut. I said I think he may be in serious jeopardy ONCE Bailey comes back.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I agree with you about the balance, but to think that Givens is even close to being the player he was in his rookie year, you are fooling yourself. He has looked disinterested throughout the majority of training camp, and going all the way back to OTAs, have gotten FAR fewer reps than any of the top 6 WRs.

I saw the same thing in OTAs. His 2013 was horrible, caught only 40% or so of targets, the WORST IN THE NFL. That said, I'd be kinda depressed too if I was dropped from 1st to 5th or 6th on the depth chart. That's not an excuse, tho. If Givens wants to keep playing, he'll have to make more of his opportunities.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RAMS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Rams waived 10 players Monday, the team announced.

Those waived include CB Jarrid Bryant; P Bobby Cowan; T R.J. Dill; WR Jordan Harris; LS Jorgen Hus; FB Kadeem Jones; LB Johnny Millard; WR T.J. Moe; T D.J. Morrell and LB Pat Schiller. Schiller was waived/injured.

The Rams’ roster now sits at 79 players. They must make four additional moves by 3 p.m. Central time on Tuesday in order to comply with the NFL’s 75-man roster limit.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Coach- givens looks like a player who is unhappy with either his role or the organization and is looking to move on. Am I way off base here?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach- givens looks like a player who is unhappy with either his role or the organization and is looking to move on. Am I way off base here?
Have no idea as to what he is thinking or how he is feeling. Other than what I observed during camp. He looked defeated.

AZRamsFan93

Who in the hell is TJ moe? LOL
He is a receiver that went to Mizzou - which is why you see more attention given to him by the local fans - probably more than he deserves, IMHO (and it seems the Rams opinion as well).

RamzFanz

Damnit

Swap Givens with Cook in your pairs and drop Givens when Bailey returns and I agree completely.

As far as we can tell from his play last season, OTAs, training camp, and preseason, the kid has lost it and now, without Sam... I don't see it.