Rams Announce 2017 Offseason Program Dates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Rams Announce 2017 Offseason Program Dates
Posted 6 hours ago

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Announce-2017-Offseason-Program-Dates/258c2557-5275-4fe9-b753-b000b4749f63

By TheRams.com

600x360-AP_441101194450.jpg

Head coach Sean McVay and the Los Angeles Rams will get a head start on their offseason programs this year. Per NFL rule, new head coaches are entitled to conduct an additional voluntary veteran minicamp. This year, five clubs will hold voluntary veteran minicamps.

The Rams Offseason Workout Program calendar:

First Day: April 10
OTA Offseason Workouts: May 23-25, May 30-31, June 1, June 5-8
Voluntary Minicamp: April 25-27
Mandatory Minicamp: June 13-15

Voluntary offseason workout programs are intended to provide training, teaching and physical conditioning for players.

As per Article 21 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, each club’s official, voluntary nine-week offseason program is conducted in three phases:

Rams Phase One:
First Day:
April 10

Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.

Rams Phase Two:
First Day:
May 1

Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a “separates” basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.

Rams Phase Three:
OTA Offseason Workouts:
May 23-25, May 30-31, June 1, June 5-8

Phase Three consists of the next four weeks of the program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity, or “OTAs”. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.

Article 22 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement stipulates that clubs may hold one mandatory minicamp for veteran players. This minicamp, noted below, must occur during Phase Three of the offseason program.

Each club may hold a rookie football development program for a period of seven weeks, which in 2017 may begin on May 15. During this period, no activities may be held on weekends, with the exception of one post-NFL Draft rookie minicamp, which may be conducted on either the first or second weekend following the draft.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I thought we get some extra practice time because of the new coaching staff?

Already included in the off-season itinerary, my friend. We decided to take our mandatory week off during the first week so we can maintain continuity in the off-season overall program. This question will be rehashed numerous times, but no worries our boy McVay will get his additional week.

shake-n-bake

Rookie
Already included in the off-season itinerary, my friend. We decided to take our mandatory week off during the first week so we can maintain continuity in the off-season overall program. This question will be rehashed numerous times, but no worries our boy McVay will get his additional week.

Thanks for the info man

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Looks like some excruciating pressure on our new coaches (and current roster players at many positions).

If I'm reading this right, the Ram coaches will have a mere two weeks (probably 10 days) of non practice conditioning drills to fine tune their final determination of positional needs predraft.

From this limited exposure they must finish stacking their final board needs at so many positions. Emphasis the need aspect here, not just prospect talents.

WR
TE
C
LB
CB (a real biggie)
DE/Edge
FS

Seems like asking a helluva lot, if you ask me.

I mean, final decisions about CB, WR, or TE at #37 might hinge on these OTA's to one degree or another, just for an example.

No small amount of pressure on the respective existing players on the roster at the above positions, either.

Like I said, excruciating pressure, huh?

Ram65

Legend
Those guidelines just make you want to cheat. Don't they Patsies and Seahags?;);)

Voluntary Minicamp: April 25-27

The draft starts on he 27th. With no number 1 pick the Rams still have to pay attention to the day 1 picks.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
CBA rules really put teams with younger rosters and new coaching staffs behind the 8 ball. Teams like the Rams are still in TC mode 4 games into the season. Teams like NE and GB that have not made any coaching changes in years and older rosters with limited roster turnover have a huge advantage They have to re-negotiate how much teams can have contact with players. How can Kromer evaluate his new OL and decide if he needs to draft an O lineman if he can't see them practice live or even talk to them?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
CBA rules really put teams with younger rosters and new coaching staffs behind the 8 ball. Teams like the Rams are still in TC mode 4 games into the season. Teams like NE and GB that have not made any coaching changes in years and older rosters with limited roster turnover have a huge advantage They have to re-negotiate how much teams can have contact with players. How can Kromer evaluate his new OL and decide if he needs to draft an O lineman if he can't see them practice live or even talk to them?

Agreed, the new CBA rules overall has diminished the NFL's reputation of being a sport of parity, at least from the AFC's side

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Mean while The Rams were 3-1 to start the season & only one 1 more game after that !! GREAT COACHING !!

Add Fisher does not even have his players in on MANDATORY woroukts at end of mini camp ?? The Honey Moon is over. Get ready for time to work !!

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed, the new CBA rules overall has diminished the NFL's reputation of being a sport of parity, at least from the AFC's side
That's what happens when ownership cares more about
the bottom line,than what's is good for the league.
They will sacrifice practice time as long as they get
that dollar amount right.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Nice to know.
Does anyone know yet WHERE training camp will be held this year?
Last year was Irvine.
What about this year?

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Awesome.
I want to fly down this year.
Do you know the Irvine dates yet? @bubbaramfan

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not yet, but I will post them here when I know. If you plan to come to any of the TC practices, please feel free to PM me so we can meet. I would be pleased to have any ROD folks to talk Rams football at TC.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Not yet, but I will post them here when I know. If you plan to come to any of the TC practices, please feel free to PM me so we can meet. I would be pleased to have any ROD folks to talk Rams football at TC.
Indeed. Will do.