Rams and Quinn Sign Contract Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Source: Rams, DE Robert Quinn close on extension as talks intensify

By Rand Getlin

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...tension-as-talks-intensify-011943818-nfl.html

Star defensive end Robert Quinn and the St. Louis Rams are close to an agreement on a multi-year extension, a league source told Yahoo Sports.

There is optimism in Quinn's camp that a deal can get done before Week 3, the source said. Quinn is believed to be targeting a deal that would pay him in the $15 million per season range on a four- to six-year extension.

Quinn, a first-round draft pick in 2011, led the Rams with a career-high 19 sacks last season. He also forced seven fumbles in a Pro Bowl season that saw only one man, Indianapolis' Robert Mathis, have more sacks than him.

As a No. 14 overall pick, the University of North Carolina product was one of 11 defensive linemen in the 2011 first-round draft class. Selected ahead of him were Buffalo's Marcell Dareus, Houston's J.J. Watt and Detroit's Nick Fairley.

Watt recently set the market for star defensive linemen after signing a reported $100 million deal that included a $51.87 million signing bonus, a record deal for a defensive player.

The Rams picked up the fifth-year option on Quinn's current deal in August. He's scheduled to make about $3 million this season and about $6.9 million in 2015.

SierraRam

Recreational User
As a No. 14 overall pick, the University of North Carolina product was one of 11 defensive linemen in the 2011 first-round draft class. Selected ahead of him were Buffalo's Marcell Dareus, Houston's J.J. Watt and Detroit's Nick Fairley.

Forgot one: Aldon Smith :LOL:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A long term contract for Quinn now makes this Rams season a success in my eyes no matter what record we finish with.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I don't see what the rush is, he's under contract for the next two years, and we can franchise tag him after that. I understand not wanting to piss him off, but still.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't see what the rush is, he's under contract for the next two years, and we can franchise tag him after that. I understand not wanting to pee pee him off, but still.

The cap is increasing by quite a bit every year, thus star player contracts are increasing every year.

You can't just keep franchising players like we used to do with Pace as the percentage of their contract increases exponentially every time you do it under the new CBA.

He's the best 4-3 DE in football and deserves to be paid like it.

That's what the rush is.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We don't have to extend him until next year though, he could hold out then, this season, we are safe. But maybe they are thinking, another 20 sack season will make him get paid even more. . . .

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Would you want to risk pissing off the only elite player you have right now?

I sure wouldn't.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Source: Rams, DE Robert Quinn close on extension as talks intensify

By Rand Getlin

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...tension-as-talks-intensify-011943818-nfl.html

Star defensive end Robert Quinn and the St. Louis Rams are close to an agreement on a multi-year extension, a league source told Yahoo Sports.

There is optimism in Quinn's camp that a deal can get done before Week 3, the source said. Quinn is believed to be targeting a deal that would pay him in the $15 million per season range on a four- to six-year extension.

Quinn, a first-round draft pick in 2011, led the Rams with a career-high 19 sacks last season. He also forced seven fumbles in a Pro Bowl season that saw only one man, Indianapolis' Robert Mathis, have more sacks than him.

Watt recently set the market for star defensive linemen after signing a reported $100 million deal that included a $51.87 million signing bonus, a record deal for a defensive player.

The Rams picked up the fifth-year option on Quinn's current deal in August. He's scheduled to make about $3 million this season and about $6.9 million in 2015.
QTUrzN1.gif

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm fine with the proven players getting nice paydays.
At least it's not going to unproven rookies.

RFIP

I don't see what the rush is, he's under contract for the next two years, and we can franchise tag him after that. I understand not wanting to pee pee him off, but still.

He will be much cheaper to extend now than in 1-2 years. You can take that to the bank.

he's making (relative) peanuts now, he'll most likely be eager for a much bigger pay day at this point even though it's below what he'd get in a couple years for sure.

It's a trade off, he gets bug $$ now and the Rams save money long term.

A classic win-win.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I say "Sign him up Log Term, as fast as you can for what ever he wants!!" SHOW HIM THE MONEY! ( To Steal a movie quote ):D

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Would you want to risk pissing off the only elite player you have right now?

I sure wouldn't.
While I agree with your contention that we need to keep Quinn happy , I think we have several elite players other than RQ and by seasons end it will become apparent we do,unfortunately the guy we needed to demonstrate that he is too( and IMO he was going to) got hurt again.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
While I agree with your contention that we need to keep Quinn happy , I think we have several elite players other than RQ and by seasons end it will become apparent we do,unfortunately the guy we needed to demonstrate that he is too( and IMO he was going to) got hurt again.

I sure hope you're right, but right now I'm mostly concerned with paying the man who has proven to be on that level.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Give him whatever he wants. We have to keep this guy for the next 6-7 years at least.

Athos

Legend
Another 19 sack this season and or next, just drives the price up further, especially if that run D continues to get even better.

Lock him up now.