Rams and Janoris working on extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
If he gets a mediocre contract to match his mediocre play I'm all for it.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yeah, people are giving JJ way too much flack. Of course he gets burned a lot, who doesn't when you're pulling guys like Fitz consistently? He's still pretty damn good for who he draws and what he does. His off the field actions are completely superfluous until he gets into trouble for them, just being kind of a chore isn't exactly something worthy of being sent packing.

I don't understand the "look who he covers" argument. There are 31 other CBs who cover the #1 WRs for other teams too. JJ is ranked #50.

I agree with you that his off the field issues aren't a big thing. People mention them in the thread but aside from some wussy whining about playing outside I can't recall anything that he's done to warrant concern.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm in the camp not too thrilled about this. Unless it ends up being a moderate contract by CB standards. But I'm afraid of his play and I'm afraid of him getting suspended for smoking something.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I think we will see out of this is whether JJ himself believes in his future with the Rams. I'm guessing if he doesn't, he will resort to a pay me or trade me (test the FA waters)mindset. I would rather know that now than wait until after the season. If we know that now, we can better groom his replacement.
I'll go out on a limb and predict that, if Jenkins tests the market, he will be disappointed.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm in the camp not too thrilled about this. Unless it ends up being a moderate contract by CB standards. But I'm afraid of his play and I'm afraid of him getting suspended for smoking something.

He's been a pro for a while now and no trouble whatsoever

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the move. The Rams are buying low on Foles and Janoris. We'll see if it pays off but Janoris has shown top tier CB potential. If he gets his head out of his ass, I think he'll be a great CB. The Rams are betting on him to continue to mature as a player. If they bet right, they're getting a steal.

To compare situations, the Packers bought low on Jordy Nelson before he blew up and the Steelers bought low on Antonio Brown. Both moves panned out in a big way where they got Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber talents on very reasonable extensions near the end of their rookie deals. Had they waited another year, both teams would have been paying out the nose for those players. I support the Rams here. Many people forgot that we had Janoris shadow one of the league's best WRs in Dez Bryant and Janoris shut him down while also picking off a pass and taking into the house. His great game was overshadowed by miscommunication in the secondary near the end. If not for one blown coverage, he'd have likely held Dez to less than 30 yards while also taking a pass intended for Dez to the house.
It's that IF stuff (and there's more than just that one) that doesn't warrant an extension IMO... not right now.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams think he's our #1 corner too, and signing him is a big priority, that's according to JT anyway...
You mean the JT that isn't in the loop about anything?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand the "look who he covers" argument. There are 31 other CBs who cover the #1 WRs for other teams too. JJ is ranked #50.

I agree with you that his off the field issues aren't a big thing. People mention them in the thread but aside from some wussy whining about playing outside I can't recall anything that he's done to warrant concern.
It's interesting...

In this thread alone, playing the #1 WRs has been used as a reason to extend him... and an excuse (I hate that word, but it appies here IMO) for why he got burned.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Well he's no Morris Claiborne, thanks @Rynie's Jurry (Jones) rigged Cowboys for their 2nd round pick so we could waste it on the one they call the Jackrabbit.

V3

Hall of Fame
He's been a pro for a while now and no trouble whatsoever
There are lots of pro players that "play nice" for their first contract. Once they get their big payday, many show their true colors. None of us know who he really is but his past certainly doesn't help alleviate the concerns.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's that IF stuff (and there's more than just that one) that doesn't warrant an extension IMO... not right now.

It's not really "if" stuff. Dez had 5 catches for 21 yards prior to the long TD (which wasn't on Jenkins). The reason I use likely is because Dallas would have been trailing and trying to pass to catch up. Hard to know how many yards Dez would have (or wouldn't have) picked up.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Yup, remember the blatant holding on Tyrone Smith and Frederick? , that gave Romo an extra second to step up in the cheated pocket, see Dez and bomb it. Makes a huge difference!

I know someone has that freezed backfield picture. It still makes me so damn irritated.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not really "if" stuff. Dez had 5 catches for 21 yards prior to the long TD (which wasn't on Jenkins). The reason I use likely is because Dallas would have been trailing and trying to pass to catch up. Hard to know how many yards Dez would have (or wouldn't have) picked up.
???
It is "if" stuff... I quoted you. Don't see how that can be argued.

If I were the man in charge of extending contracts (likely of significant amounts of money), I would not be doing it based on anything other than actual results.

Based on his actual results, I'd wait.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
There are lots of pro players that "play nice" for their first contract. Once they get their big payday, many show their true colors. None of us know who he really is but his past certainly doesn't help alleviate the concerns.

Jenkins past also consists of being a true pro these last 4 years, so that needs to be accounted for
He has had ZERO off the field problems

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Dude.....
Based on his actual results, I'd wait.
I'd wait too...not long but still, can you project where you can see JJ being a good CB? You do realize, despite some crazed rating as the 50th cb, he made the pro-bowl? I mean, I read your comments everyday, I know you know football, JJ is the best we got, if not him, then who? Draft again?!? Re-sign Tru?!? Trust EJ?????? Lock-down corners only exist on ESPN of NFLN. with todays rules, all corners get beat.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What a great thread! So many good points made re extending Jenkins, both pro and con.

I remain conflicted on Jenkins, myself. I like him, but I don't LOVE him. If that makes any sense.

So, if we can sign him at a reasonable price I'm fine with that. Jrry32 makes an excellent point about signing a player one year before he hits his Pro Bowl status.

But if Jenkins won't sign for a reasonable price, I would let him walk and not lose a moment of sleep. I would happily go to war with Tru and Gaines next year.

Let's face it, tough decisions will be necessary in '16 due to FA. We can't keep everybody. The play this year of the various players will probably sort this all out, anyway.

One other thing. The increasing cap will help, but it will not be enough to cover all the needed money for so many good FA players. We're talking about premium positions here. Like QB, two CB's, and a potential star DT in Fairley. Not to mention what will be a 3 year starting S in McLeod. Those are just off the top of my head, but I think we're talking some serious cap dollars here.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude.....
I'd wait too...not long but still, can you project where you can see JJ being a good CB? You do realize, despite some crazed rating as the 50th cb, he made the pro-bowl? I mean, I read your comments everyday, I know you know football, JJ is the best we got, if not him, then who? Draft again?!? Re-sign Tru?!? Trust EJ?????? Lock-down corners only exist on ESPN of NFLN. with todays rules, all corners get beat.
First off, thanks for the compliment... back atcha!

Like all of these "what do I do now" situations, it's hard to see all the options because they haven't even developed. Yeah... maybe re-sign Tru.. or trust EJ... ... or draft... or free agency... who knows.

Here's what I believe:
At this young stage of his career, he is an average CB IMO. As far as making the pro bowl, he was an alternate, so I'm not that impressed by that... maybe I'm too demanding? o_O

He just isn't consistent. For that reason, I'd wait until at least half of the season is done and - if he has proven to be more consistent - then, yeah, work hard on getting him locked up.

I need to see more. Just my take.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't explode often, but when I do, it's because I drink Dos Equis.

My apologies to anyone I offended.
God forbid.

IF he gets suspended? That's your argument? Really? Tru got busted for DUI. That's OK , I guess.

:wtf: - must be getting old. Peace all.

I didn't defend Tru either. You say you've read my p0sts. I hate DUI, it's anything but okay, and I've expressed that multiple times. That said, I hate it when people defend convicted mass murderers for no good reason. That's what Jenkins has done recently on social media. That's not even mentioning his recent dome comments and some of the other stupid things he's said.

Don't you want to see him make smarter decisions off the field before you had him a multi-year deal worth six/seven-per-year?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I know you never defended Tru. I only threw that in because I think the general perception is he's a level-headed, dependable, intelligent guy with no off-field issues, which is not the case with JJ. I also understand that perception - just don't concur.

I don't personally agree with the hands-up gesture by the ferguson five, but I understand it, and even respect them for doing it. But it would NEVER influence my opinion of any of them as football players, or their perceived value to the team. And I wasn't, (am not), going after you Memento. I just get tired of people projecting what, in their world view, is a correct code of conduct as it pertains to players, when it consists entirely of their OPINION of how they feel people should act. There are obviously societal and legal lines that cannot ever be crossed, but being a goofball isn't one of them. I personally think the whole social media thing is ridiculous, but also realize it's a generational thing, as I didn't grow up with it.

Don't like JJ's play - fine. I'm cool with that.
Don't like what he says - too bad, live with it. Has nothing to do with his worth to the team.

:peace: brother. BTW, I have been looking at your avatar for months now, and STILL cannot figure out what the hell it is.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Unless we get a home team discount by signing early then I really don't see the point of this. I just get the feeling that he is the type of guy who will get in trouble off the field once he signs a big contract