Rams and Goff a fool's paradise?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://cover32.com/2016/04/04/draft-fools-paradise-jared-goff-la/#3ZRQ8rtZA0ubuAUy.99

The weeks leading up to the NFL Draft will be a daily roller-coaster of hyperbole and occasional fantasy. In Los Angeles, like Hollywood, the Rams will be linked to a few would be scenarios where QB’s like Jared Goff and Carson Wentz are part of draft day trade blockbusters that would make any screenwriter proud.

Likely, or fool’s paradise?

Reading the daily drip of sameness that has become the Rams off-season would indicate any mock draft having Los Angeles moving up to either the first or sixth pick is just that; a fool’s paradise. Further, it seems when you talk big about being practically ‘wedded’ to a guy already on your roster, a move the other way would be akin to putting the toothpaste back into the tube.

But, what if Jared Goff is the possibly intended?

Who does that?

Loyalty has a pretty loose interpretation when a better option can be had. Ask Drew Bledsoe when a guy named Tom Brady became the next best option in New England. It wasn’t too long ago when Trent Green was replaced by some guy from the Arena League and NFL Europe named Kurt Warner, who improbably led the St. Louis Rams to a Super Bowl.

Both presumable starters lost to injury and replaced by the next guy up. The next best option.

In both cases, Brady and Warner become the guys who never left, making Bledsoe and Green very expendable.

I offer this because maybe trading up, becomes a “next option” for Rams GM Les Snead.

Especially if Jared Goff becomes a tangible target.

Find an analyst, pundit, or mock draft that doesn’t have the Rams drafting of a quarterback part of the first round hypothesis.

You can’t.

Peter King and his mmqb had one last week.

Both espn, cbssports, and the rams Mock Draft Roundup Fourth Edition all have, or at least explore, the Rams drafting a quarterback anywhere from the first pick to the 15th.

Yet, Jeff Fisher AND Les Snead have been very ‘matter of fact’ about Case Keenum being ‘numero-uno’ in the off-season, and even projecting him as the main guy most likely come opening day.

How do you walk that back?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A_match_made_in_heaven_13___t_x_40___w_bitmap_001.jpg=450

mockdraft-goff-color_600.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
C'mon... you got the Moneyball Cru in Cleveland and the biggest bang for the buck there is... is a rookie QB who produces.

And the best guy for them is a big, mobile, strong-armed QB who's already been in a pro system for 5 years at NDSU and knows it backwards and forwards.... enough he was responsible for OL line changes when changing a play....enough he straight wowed NFL people in his white board work.

Wentz to Cleveland is a slam dunk...UNLESS someone trades up to #1.

With only 6 picks this draft and a few weapons we could use... I just can't see Les pulling the trigger to go all the way up to 1 which is what it'd take.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not only is Goff "the piece" to turn this offense around, but the additional benefit is we don't have to suffer through him burning our defense for the next decade while wearing 16.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Yet, Jeff Fisher AND Les Snead have been very ‘matter of fact’ about Case Keenum being ‘numero-uno’ in the off-season, and even projecting him as the main guy most likely come opening day.

Snisher taking the above stance does not rule out moving up in the draft. Keenum could start week 1 or even most of the season with a view to the new guy taking over at some point.

No one knows at this point if this is what will ultimately happen but its foolish to rule it out based on the comments made by Snisher which that article has referred to.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's football. There are no feelings or warm fuzzy hugs. Everyone can and will be replaced.. Basically pieces of meat.
The players understand this very well, they got their job by taking some other players job the coach " Liked" . They also know Coach speak and that they have to produce.
And if a player says "Yikes" then you get rid of him.
It's about giving the team and rest of the players the best chance to win.
And did anyone care about Foles when he got benched?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Seriously?

Pretty easily. Who's gonna rail on them for going in a different direction from a completely vague declaration to begin with? "Case is our guy going into camp, and maybe our starter." Oooooooh talk about your iron clad commitments.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the underlined is fan speculation. (I know I fell for it) Fisher and Snead have been pretty clear that Keenum is the guy to open OTA and TC. I haven't seen anything from their mouths to indicate anything more than that

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not only is Goff "the piece" to turn this offense around, but the additional benefit is we don't have to suffer through him burning our defense for the next decade while wearing 16.

Are you moving up to #3 and what are you giving?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Seriously?

Pretty easily. Who's gonna rail on them for going in a different direction from a completely vague declaration to begin with? "Case is our guy going into camp, and maybe our starter." Oooooooh talk about your iron clad commitments.

It's alright @X The writer's whole purpose for the article was, he has been dying to use the term, "How do you walk that back?"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you moving up to #3 and what are you giving?

I'd have a tentative deal done with Dallas for IF he makes it to 4 overall. Something along the lines of this and next year's round 1 pick plus a round 2 pick from this year. Throw in Foles as a backup QB as well for them.

Take Goff, then take a WR in round 2 where the value really starts coming in on the position. And I'd take another WR like Higgins or Caroo round 3, then go with TE Williams in round 4. Should be a center with good value in round 6, but if they get a run on them move up to round 5 range should be relatively cheap to do so.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, according to Jim Thomas, Fisher looked into his eyes and said something like "Bradford is our QB"...and then promptly traded Bradford for Philly's 2nd rounder and Nick Foles........This is the season of lies and Fisher partakes in it as much as anyone. Saying Keenum is the starter doesn't mean a lot to me...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Hoping for Goff to be a Ram is like being a kid at Christmas and hoping to unwrap Christie Brinkley

Again there is gonna be some serious frustration come draft night when he Rams go BPA at #15

Sean Mannion is the Rams prototype QB physically and mentally - he's the guy they are grooming for the future, they have given zero indication that they are done with him

Although i'd love to see us grab one of the top signal callers the best we can hope for without giving up our future is Paxton Lynch

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Although i'd love to see us grab one of the top signal callers the best we can hope for without giving up our future is Paxton Lynch

You might well be right about that Dieter.

I think the key question here, too, is whether the Rams are truly content to proceed with Keenum for at least a year. Chances are the answer to that is Yes even if they don't see him as their QBotF. Now if true that does not eliminate the option of moving up for Goff or Wentz, but it does mean they can consider any of these QBs as a long term answer without worry of whether they'll be ready to compete right out the gate.

What this means is a guy like Lynch suddenly has a lot more value to them than he will with some other teams in round 1. I mean the guy has an immensely high talent ceiling, he's a good young man from a good family, and he has worked his butt off after the college season in an 8 hour a day program to learn pro offenses, improve his footwork, get accustomed to being under center, etc. Yeah, I think he is a perfect type of pick for Snead/Fish. Probably the top guy on their board if he's there at 15 too, barring a defender like Lawson falling there.

So the second question is whether they like Lynch enough to move up a bit for him? Because Snead and Fish aren't stupid, they're gonna know the threat that Buffalo in particular represents, where Greg Roman could probably start Lynch day one in his simplified offense. So if he's their target, judging from their history, I'd say there's a reasonable chance of that happening and if I had to estimate it, I'd say the preferred move up area for Lynch would be a target range of post-9ers to pre-Bears, which should not be too prohibitive.

That would give the Rams a QB room of Keenum>Mannion>Lynch. And ideally Mannion would challenge for that starting job and win it which would suddenly leave the Rams looking positively PHAT at the position with a young starter signal caller, a good backup, and a high end talent rookie with a clipboard. I could get behind that.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My only concern is if the rumors are true that a) Tennessee has a firm offer in place not to move down "too far" and b) the Eagles seem to be seriously eyeing Wentz. Most of the QB guaranteed money for Bradford and Daniels is in 2016. Cutting/trading either in 2017 will net minor cap hits of a few million.

That puts Wentz and Goff 1,2. Then it's anyone's guess how quickly someone trades up for of picks Lynch.

If that happens, the Rams are Aced and I'd rather grab Bercovici in the 4th