Rams among teams watching Nevada QB Fajardo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, that's one example. The other being the more difficult out patterns. Going sideline to sideline. .
That's where arm strength is the make or break. Throwing to the sidelines is where the rubber hits the road.
Easy to cheat an out route on weakly thrown ball. And arm strength can be exposed throwing to the sidelines because there is less a reliance on footwork because your're throwing a bit across the body.
I think part of Davis downfall was his throws outside lacked zip. Downfield not an issue

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Interesting how this thread has evolved to cover the meaning of "an arm."
I get what @Athos is saying. An arm, to me, means ... can he get it downfield AND put some mustard on it when he has to.

This .... is an arm.

sb8.gif

WOW - what an arm on that guy, lets try and get him signed, ohh wait a minute.....

Athos

Legend
I think part of Davis downfall was his throws outside lacked zip. Downfield not an issue

Downfield zip isn't usually the issue with QBs. Most QBs can throw it deep. Accuracy is what matters most there. Though the guys who have to rainbow it more, thus leaving the ball up in the air longer, give the DBs a greater chance to recover and make a play on the ball. It's those throws away from the body to your left or right that determine success at QB in the NFL. Lobbing the ball is scary.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Normal for who? Not me, apparently not Athos. I don't recall him saying does he have a Strong Arm. He said does he have an arm. I took that as meaning a good arm. Can he make the throws. Can he get the ball where it needs to be.

It really isn't all that complex.

I guess it is because from Athos's response, it seems that he was talking about arm strength.

Normal for the majority. I talk a lot of football...especially about the draft...and that's the common meaning on the draft boards I post on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting how this thread has evolved to cover the meaning of "an arm."
I get what @Athos is saying. An arm, to me, means ... can he get it downfield AND put some mustard on it when he has to.

This .... is an arm.

sb8.gif

That's certainly great. But a guy with an arm like that isn't falling far in the draft unless he has some other significant flaws. My point is that of all the "flaws", I think arm strength is one of the least important.

thehammer

Rookie
are next FS? from watching him play wondered if safety was his best position...posted outstanding combine numbers for a fs Rams also could of been there to watch Scott Hekking de 6'4 255 he had 22.5 sacks and 34.5 tackles for loss in his career.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Downfield zip isn't usually the issue with QBs. Most QBs can throw it deep. Accuracy is what matters most there. Though the guys who have to rainbow it more, thus leaving the ball up in the air longer, give the DBs a greater chance to recover and make a play on the ball. It's those throws away from the body to your left or right that determine success at QB in the NFL. Lobbing the ball is scary.
Right, vertical passing isnt where arm strength is suspect. Its the 40 yard throw across the field that gets pick 6'd when not thrown properly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's where we have to slightly disagree. I don't need a big arm like Cutler or want an inaccurate howitzer like KraperDouche.

But Bulger, Warner, Romo, and I'd say even Brady have slightly just above average arm strength. They don't need to be throwing lasers downfield, but those guys above have great spirals with the ability to thread the needle. If you can't thread a needle through tight coverage in the NFL period, I don't want you.

Bulger, Warner, and Romo were all in the average or worse category. Brady, coming out, was in that category but increased his arm strength in the NFL through strength and training as well as mechanical refinement.

You have to keep in mind the competition because words like "above average" are relative.

Brees doesn't have great arm strength, but he has a very tight spiral and can thread it with some zip.

Brees's arm is undoubtedly below average.

When I say weak armed, I mean Davis who tosses floaters and Hill, who throws a softball out there.

Yet both have enough arm to be successful. It's problematic because you combine their arm strength with other attributes that aren't good enough for them to compensate.

And you'd be wrong. I don't want a QB with a weak ass arm or below average arm. And I surely don't want one who combines that with small stature. Unless he has Wilson's athleticism and Manning's brain on his shoulders. Again, good luck finding that.

I've got no problem with a below average arm if he has the other attributes to compensate. "Weak ass" depends on the degree of weak assness.

However, that's one hell of an overstatement. Peyton Manning has a "weak ass" arm and he is also about as mobile as a stump.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am actually really happy to hear the Rams are kicking the tires on this guy. Anyone who was on RRF about 7 months ago know I have been on this guy for a while. I have seen every game this kid has played in for the last 2 years. I really like this kid but there is some work to do with him. If you watch last years tape is pretty underwhelming, his oline got beat up and he lost his 2 starting OG's. As the season wore on he developed some bad habits because he was under so much pressure. He started becoming a run first QB which is not his game.

What I like about him: Fierce competitor, did everything to try to win games, gave up his body and tried to run his way to a championship. Ran the same offense Kaepernick ran with similar results. He can make all the throws required but throws with the Manning like arc in certain spaces. His real strength is his ability to extend plays. He climbs the pocket well and does a great job avoiding pressure and getting his eyes back downfield to look for his receivers. His 2013 games you will notice he does not tuck in run, he resets and looks downfield which resulted in big plays. He loves throwing deep but does not make bad decisions doing it, very rarely throws into double coverage. When needed, he can take off and pick up a first down. When he does tuck and run it usually results in a big play because he does a good job of taking what the defense gives him. Brains, he is a cerebral QB who will be able to pick up a new playbook and know it.

What I don't like: Size, not ideal but buys time out of the pocket so he can see downfield. Needs to make quicker decisions, now in his system he was not required to do that. I do think he has the mental part of his game to do it though, of course he does have a slight hitch in his throw which could effect that. Does not have great arm strength but it is good enough IMO. System QB that will need time to develop into a more pro style offense.

When the college season started I had him projected as a 4th rounder, but last year was a tough year but team injuries and an overall down year for Nevada had a lot to do with it. Again, his tape last year will show you a run first QB but that is not his game. IMO he lost confidence in the oline, got killed and started running earlier than he normally had to.
Of all the QB's not named Winston or Mariota, I like this guy the best. And before you all call me crazy I said last year Jimmy Garoppolo was the best QB after Bridgewater and Bortles. Of course Derek Carr may have proved me wrong lol.
Very good assessment and pretty much how I view him as well. His size ... ya not tall at 6'1", but he IS pretty thick. He is a very god team leader/lockerroom guy. Being a UNR fan, I have followed him on Twitter for a couple yrs. Always encouraging and urging player to give extra effort and build them up.

As a development guy and mid to late Rd ..... I like him, as you say ... just under those other guys. He has lots of upside, but like any of them ... some risk as in how the college game translates. But his value is in where he would be drafted ... Safer IMHO.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Very good assessment and pretty much how I view him as well. His size ... ya not tall at 6'1", but he IS pretty thick. He is a very god team leader/lockerroom guy. Being a UNR fan, I have followed him on Twitter for a couple yrs. Always encouraging and urging player to give extra effort and build them up.

As a development guy and mid to late Rd ..... I like him, as you say ... just under those other guys. He has lots of upside, but like any of them ... some risk as in how the college game translates. But his value is in where he would be drafted ... Safer IMHO.

Nice to hear the opinion of a fan of the team and good to hear you think the same. He seems like a good kid, hope we are right about him.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Drew Brees doesn't have a minus arm, in my opinion. He's not Jay Cutler or Joe Flacco but he can fit that ball in tight windows down the field. He wouldn't have been a 2nd round pick if he was shy of 6' and didn't possess a decent arm.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He threw pretty well at the combine. I actually had to take a longer look after. I wasn't super impressed. Liked what I saw at combine though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's certainly great. But a guy with an arm like that isn't falling far in the draft unless he has some other significant flaws. My point is that of all the "flaws", I think arm strength is one of the least important.

I agree it's one of the least important, maybe the least important "positive" thing about a QB. Many a strong armed QB has had a less than stellar career because they lacked those other things, and also because of the velocity they sometimes take chances because they think they can get it there because of their strength. Derek Anderson is a perfect example of the latter.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Was his height confirmed at the combine? He looks shorter than 6'1" to me.

Not only is he short, the ball comes out really low with him.