Rams Almost spent a 7th rounder on La'El Collins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If he wanted to play for the Rams, he would have told us to take him, and not, don't take him, you'll embarrass yourselves. Fuck him, and his agent. I hate when players and agents manipulate the draft.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Shoulda, coulda, woulda

I'd rather the organization be "embarrassed" by taking a guy who doesn't sign and risk getting a first round talent in the 7th round. However, I can understand their thinking...you don't want someone who will be really unhappy to be there.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
The guy got screwed. It was horrible circumstances and timing. The NFL is being overly protective with it's image thanks to the Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson case and others. From what I've heard he's been cleared of being a suspect. I'd be more than upset the situation myself

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
If he wanted to play for the Rams, he would have told us to take him, and not, don't take him, you'll embarrass yourselves. freak him, and his agent. I hate when players and agents manipulate the draft.

Great point, clearly didn't want to be a Ram, so fuck him.

FRO

Legend
No matter what the agent says now, there was still a chance that he'd sit out because he'd make more money doing so (UDFA can redo deals after 2 years. Drafted players cannot). And especially, if he were selected by a team he didn't want to play for on Sundays.

Both, could have played a role in that long, long, post draft discussion. And while we know what the agent would have recommended, we still don't know what Collins and his family would have ultimately decided.
True, but there is the same chance these 7th round picks will get cut like last years 7th rounders.

I would have picked Collins with the second third. I feel he can be an all-pro level OG. Had there not been this murder situation, where he hasn't been considered a suspect, I would have been fine with picking him at 10.

FRO

Legend
If he wanted to play for the Rams, he would have told us to take him, and not, don't take him, you'll embarrass yourselves. freak him, and his agent. I hate when players and agents manipulate the draft.
I could be wrong, but I think he can make more money as a UDFA.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Rams held ALL the cards in this one and didn't play a single one. There is no excuse for not drafting this kid with a 7th. I have a feeling they will regret this for years.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I could be wrong, but I think he can make more money as a UDFA.
I felt bad for him back then, conditionally, but we could have, and probably would have made him a good deal. Fact is, he had one team that wanted to take him, and he said no, and basically called us stupid. Not even factoring in his opportunity here, or the likely fact that the other cheatenest team in the league, probably already had a deal on the table.

Seriously, is that how we want to start a relationship with a player, and his dick agent? Not me. Attitude is one of the small things that help players to succeed in the NFL, the right attitude.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
See, I woulda just used a 3rd on him after taking in the 2nd Havenstein...instead of Brown...But after reading this, I woulda used the damn 7th rounder for sure....

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where's the guy who was debating with me when I said they should've drafted him? Lol

Memphis Ram

Legend
True, but there is the same chance these 7th round picks will get cut like last years 7th rounders.

I would have picked Collins with the second third. I feel he can be an all-pro level OG. Had there not been this murder situation, where he hasn't been considered a suspect, I would have been fine with picking him at 10.

True. Or they might be finds ala some of the UDFA signed over the years. Who knows?

Using that second 3rd rounder on him prior to his police interview and I believe on the same day the baby died (if I'm not mistaken) would have been too HUGE of a risk for me.

Like him as a player, but I would have hated for the Rams to use #10 on a guard even without this situation as I have doubts that his impact there would be that much better, if at all, than the players the team wound up selecting.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
If you were Collins wouldn't you want to make the most money possible knowing you are an injury away from never being able to make that sort of money again? Can't fault him for taking the money. I've taken the money before and I've passed on it before because the guy trying to bring me on was a tyrant who I couldn't stand to work for.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It was foolish of the Rams tonot draft him. Drafting him would have been like calling a bluff in poker and not having to put any extra money in the pot. After he would have sat down with Fisher and Snead he would have been estatic to have been drafted by the Rams.
I also think he is going to be sorry he signed more the a one year deal with the Cowpies.

MrMotes

Starter
We're not the only team that didn't draft him. But yeah, seems like somebody should have...

fearsomefour

Legend
This guy gives me the impression that $ is WAY more important to him than football.
Who knows?
When the guy is projected as a first rounder....a big money spot to be in....then to be faced with 7th round money, yeah, that would suck.
Any guy who is going to try and make a career in a sport with an average career length of 3 or so years and does not care deeply about money is a fool.