Rams adjusting well to new terminology on defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
BEN FREDERICKSON
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st-louis-rams/story/Rams-adjusting-well-to-new-terminology-o?blockID=909763&feedID=4218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st- ... eedID=4218</a>

VWO3ubG.jpg

ST. LOUIS — Janoris Jenkins tried to explain.

"Like nine," the St. Louis Rams cornerback said. "That might be another call, instead of nine."

Huh?

"Different calls," Jenkins said. "Different terms."

So it goes when an NFL team hires a new defensive coordinator. By all accounts, Tim Walton, who joined the Rams in February, is only tweaking the 4-3 defense St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher prefers. This, of course, makes the transition easier. But in the world of uber-complex NFL defenses, even the smallest changes cause significant ripples.

"Things have been great," Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "We have good unity on defense. Coach Walton kind of inadvertently falls under the Coach Fisher tree from Coach [Jim] Scwhartz in Detroit. So, we are all speaking similar terms now. I mean, we had to change some language in it to get everybody on the same page."

And that's what is so mind-numbing. The Rams' defensive system — the scheme, the plays, the formations — really hasn't changed. But the words that make the system run have. This is more complex than players let on.

Numbers. Letters. Colors. Animals.

Laurinaitis has had to learn them all, and then some.

"In college, we grouped all of our fire zone pressures with cities," he said. "I've heard them done with certain tribe names. It goes over and over and over. They are the same exact pressures, they're just called different things."

Walton came to St. Louis with his own set of terms, as any coordinator would. As the Rams' defense has trudged through organized team activities, it has shed old terminology and learned new lingo. The goal is to have everyone on the same page as soon as possible. Then, the Rams will be fluent and no opponent will stand a chance of cracking the code.

"It's just converting," Laurinaitis said. "It's basically just translation. I call this 'X', you call it 'Z'. Let's just all call it 'Z'. That's all it is."

"Once you get it down, you stop thinking," he added. "You just react. That's where it all gets good. We're getting to that point right now. We are six OTAs in. We've got four more. I think the main thing is, we just continue to look at the playbook. Those communication things continue to happen."

Jenkins said he's learning the new language just fine.

"It's simple for me," he said.

That makes one of us.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I really do not like this. This to me, indicates that the defense is going to have trouble early.

IMHO, if a new coach is coming in and keeping the existing scheme, which is happening here, then why doesn't he just adapt to existing team terminology? That makes for the least amount of confusion IMHO. Then the players do not need to adapt to new terminology. Only the coach does.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rambitious1 said:
I really do not like this. This to me, indicates that the defense is going to have trouble early.

IMHO, if a new coach is coming in and keeping the existing scheme, which is happening here, then why doesn't he just adapt to existing team terminology? That makes for the least amount of confusion IMHO. Then the players do not need to adapt to new terminology. Only the coach does.
I agree. Kinda dumb, but there has to be a reason. You can either have one guy (Walton) learn the terminology of the existing system, or 20+ guys learn new terminology. There was something in there about uncrackable code when all is said and done, but was that really a concern before Walton arrived? I dunno. The whole thing's hinky.

MOO8HBU.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Rambitious1 said:

I agree. Kinda dumb, but there has to be a reason. You can either have one guy (Walton) learn the terminology of the existing system, or 20+ guys learn new terminology. There was something in there about uncrackable code when all is said and done, but was that really a concern before Walton arrived? I dunno. The whole thing's hinky.

MOO8HBU.jpg

Not sure but I recall something about Chip Kelly at Oregon and that they changed the terms every year. Maybe this actually isn't all that unusual. Dunno.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Well SF did bring in Mangini to help dissect defenses, so it probably doesn't hurt changing the terms so other teams can't key in on anything.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The good news about this is that we don't have any late graduating draftees this year so everyone should have time to get it all down. Combine that with 100% attendance at the OTAs and I think it will be OK.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
Not sure but I recall something about Chip Kelly at Oregon and that they changed the terms every year. Maybe this actually isn't all that unusual. Dunno.

True.

It is probably not a bad thing to have a different approach and terminology to throw off Seattle and San Francisco again.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

don't forget dahl will tell the whiners all the old terminology. Not that he can act on any of it but they do have other players that could take advantage of that knowledge.

Gotta mix it up.