Rams Addiction: Weakest Link O-Line v. Secondary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Whats the Rams biggest potential weakness heading into the season?

• Total voters

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I was listening to the Rams Addiction podcast today in the car and the guys (always blank on their names) were arguing about what the biggest weak link is entering the season, one believed the secondary and the other the Offensive line. Now I cant remember every point they mentioned word for word (check out the podcast the link for it went up on the forums yesterday) but the main arguments they each stood behind was the O-line while it looks solid on paper may be a little more shaky up close. They argued Jake Long was only middle of the pack last year and now obviously trying to get back for week 1 but after a laundry list of injuries now including a bum knee supporting 300+ pounds. then Robinson being raw and if he or Saffold would bump over if Long goes down. And scott wells being old injured and alot and is a bit undersized. The bright spot was Barksdale playing solid all season. And then the unproven backups except for Davin Joseph. As I thought about it more it started to sink in...
The secondary argument was a combination of lack of experience obviously and how the secondary as a whole only averages about 21 NFL starts or something compared to the O-lines 60 something. That with bad production last year partially caused by Walton and then arguments on size and who plays and shifts where during injuries. The biggest argument in defending of the unit was Williams coming in playing more aggressive, another year of experience under the belts of the starters and obvious the giant cushion they get from the front 7.

I believe the O-line is actually one of my biggest concerns after thinking it over. even though pass protection was pretty good last year ranking wise its still worrisome IMO. What say you guys?

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
they both made great arguments, at first I thought Anthony(offensive line biggest concern)
was nuts, but after hearing his points he made me think about it, but I still believe Mike (secondary biggest concern) is winner of argument. But in the end I hope they both excel and the argument is mute.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted secondary, but I actually don't think it is either of these options. I am much more worried about linebacker - both at starting strong side backer in Dunbar and in depth should either Laurinaitis or Ogletree go down.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
O-Line I is a big question mark. I have heard nothing on Jake Long and Robinson is a question mark especially after OTA's. If those two do not produce the Rams are looking at another losing season and hope Bradford does not take another beating.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I voted secondary, but I actually don't think it is either of these options. I am much more worried about linebacker - both at starting strong side backer in Dunbar and in depth should either Laurinaitis or Ogletree go down.
iv'e heard coaches are getting big on Ray Ray

fancents86

Starter
I'm gonna say o line, bc of lack of experience and the fact that Long may not be 100%. We have seen the best and worst of our secondary. We saw Jenkins and Johnson kill it during their rookie season with no appointed DC. Then we saw them do pretty bad under Walton. So I see it as a 50/50 chance of greatness with our secondary, and a ? With our o line bc some of the pieces we have not seen play or may not be up to par.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
they both made great arguments, at first I thought Anthony(offensive line biggest concern)
was nuts, but after hearing his points he made me think about it, but I still believe Mike (secondary biggest concern) is winner of argument. But in the end I hope they both excel and the argument is mute.
im actually banking J.J. is a top 10 corner this year. 2012 was awesome the defensive coaches put together an aggressive unit that put jenkins up close. this will be 2012 magnified and Johnson is solid and has size. McDonald is gonna be playing smashmouth football and joyner has the athleticism to cover slot and play loads of different packages. Call me crazy but I give it 50/50 odds they're a top 10 secondary as raw as they are.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The question of of the WR's far outweigh the questions of the OL. This is the first time in years that we already know who the starters are at the OL and know they have what it takes to succeed. I'll take it a step further as to say this is the first time since the GSOT that we know they have the tools to dominate. Really the only concern is health. THAT'S IT!!! These guys will find their rythm in the running game and only injuries will be of concern. Robinson has a lot of time to get comfortable with the playbook.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I didn't listen to the podcast.... but everything I heard before today suggested that this poll should really be between receivers and secondary and that OL should be a strength.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I didn't listen to the podcast.... but everything I heard before today suggested that this poll should really be between receivers and secondary and that OL should be a strength.
i could only paraphrase a lot. but the idea is the front seven with be so aggressive that the secondary will get all kinds of opportunities and have athletic if not raw depth. More cushion on depth and D than the O-line considering NFC West strength.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
The question of of the WR's far outweigh the questions of the OL. This is the first time in years that we already know who the starters are at the OL and know they have what it takes to succeed. I'll take it a step further as to say this is the first time since the GSOT that we know they have the tools to dominate. Really the only concern is health. THAT'S IT!!! These guys will find their rythm in the running game and only injuries will be of concern. Robinson has a lot of time to get comfortable with the playbook.
i think the talent is there if Schotty can get it together. Bradford will do just fine if he stays on his feet

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm gonna say o line, bc of lack of experience and the fact that Long may not be 100%. We have seen the best and worst of our secondary. We saw Jenkins and Johnson kill it during their rookie season with no appointed DC. Then we saw them do pretty bad under Walton. So I see it as a 50/50 chance of greatness with our secondary, and a ? With our o line bc some of the pieces we have not seen play or may not be up to par.

Gaines, Reid, Joyner, Roberson, Alexander, Bryant, etc. No NFL experience. You say the o line has a lack of experience because of one new guy. The second overall pick. The secondary is basically all new guys. And not even highly drafted. Aside from Joyner. I don't even know how this can be discussed. On Greg Robinsons worse day he is still better then Chris Williams. Our secondary has holes that we're trying to fill with late round picks and undrafted free agents. Though Joyner looks solid. Is he safer then Robinson? I'm more comfortable with Robinson. Joyner could be boom or bust just based on his size alone. Secondary on this pole no question. If the o line gets a couple injuries heaven forbid(knock on wood) we have guys who can shift around and not get a whole lot worse. If one of our starters in the secondary goes down. We are absolutely screwed.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
i think the talent is there if Schotty can get it together. Bradford will do just fine if he stays on his feet

We saw Schotty put together some dam good games but its hit and miss with him. I'd say the team having an identity from the start pays huge dividends. We actually have a legit RB to start the year, too. Rich wasn't the answer, sad reality.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I chose the oline because of possible(maybe season ending) injuries. Our front seven on d will naturally strengthen the secondary and make it a little easier on DBs. Not that im saying the secondary should rely on the front seven fully!

But let's also remember our CBs and McDonald are good players, they all have higher ceilings that haven't been reached and are still progressing. In the end though we NEED J Long to be at least 85% healthy and Robinson needs to be 100% ready!

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I'm more concerned about the o line. With williams manning the D, the secondary will be fine.
However, with Sam coming off an ACL tear, we need him protected

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I chose the oline because of possible(maybe season ending) injuries. Our front seven on d will naturally strengthen the secondary and make it a little easier on DBs. Not that im saying the secondary should rely on the front seven fully!

But let's also remember our CBs and McDonald are good players, they all have higher ceilings that haven't been reached and are still progressing. In the end though we NEED J Long to be at least 85% healthy and Robinson needs to be 100% ready!

The secondary is prone to injury? Lol. I understand the o line has had injuries in the past, but so has our secondary. Seems silly to judge based on injury possibility. Anyone can get injured at a moments notice.(knocking on wood)