Rams 7-round mock draft: Matthew Stafford gets help on offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Los Angeles Rams are officially eliminated from the playoffs and now all attention goes to the 2023 NFL Draft. With compensatory picks, the Rams are set to have nine picks next April. With the first selection currently set for 34th overall, meaning they should be able to get a quality starter to help Matthew Stafford, fresh off of his official non-retirement announcement. Let’s take a look at mock draft post-playoff elimination

34th Overall - OC John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota​

The Rams need to find some consistency at center this offseason. While Brian Allen plays well when he’s on the field, he’s consistently been injured. John Michael Schmitz is one of, if not the best center in the country. Taking a player like Schmitz just might make up for passing on Creed Humphrey in 2021.

68th Overall - TE Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State​

The Rams need depth and a future at the tight end position. Tyler Higbee hasn’t played well in 2022 and behind him, the Rams really only have Brycen Hopkins. Hopkins had more catches in the Super Bowl than he has in all of 2022. Kraft can block and creates mismatches as a pass-catcher. He’s a versatile player that can line up anywhere along the offensive formation, making him a player Sean McVay could have a lot of fun with.

5th Round Comp Pick - OT Cody Mauch, North Dakota State​

The Rams need to add some attitude and toughness to the offensive line. That’s what they would be getting with Cody Mauch. Trevor Penning, Cole Strange, and Braxton Smith have each found success in the NFL this season after coming from the FCS. Dillon Radunz came out of North Dakota State and has done well also. He’s a very good lateral mover and quickly gets to the second level.

5th Round Comp Pick - WR Zakhari Franklin, UTSA​

The Rams may not need a wide receiver, but it would not be surprising to see them take one. I could see McVay really liking Franklin’s game. He’s an absolute technician. He’s a good route runner and therefore is able to create separation and is simply a reliable target. He’s the type of depth receiver that the Rams have been lacking.

168th Overall - DT Colby Wooden, Auburn​

This offseason the Rams could lose both A’Shawn Robinson and Greg Gaines. Hopefully they can bring one back, but it’s possible they let both walk. Even if they do keep one, they'll need to add depth. Wooden is similar to Michael Hoecht in the sense that he can play inside at the three-technique or outside at a five-technique. The Rams like versatile defensive linemen and Wooden fits that bill.

177th Overall - CB Garrett Williams, Syracuse​

You could make a strong case that the Rams should take a cornerback with their first pick in the second round. They need to rebuild their secondary outside of Jalen Ramsey. Cobie Durant will develop and is likely better suited as a third cornerback. The Rams may need to sign someone in free agency. Still, they’ll need to draft a player to compete with Derion Kendrick and replace David Long.

83rd Overall - RB Roschon Johnson, Texas​

For four years Brian Robinson was buried on the Alabama depth chart behind Damien Harris, Najee Harris, Josh Jacobs and Bo Scarbrough. He had just one season as the lead back. Bijan Robinson might have been the guy at Texas, but that doesn’t mean that Johnson also isn’t good. If the Rams found a way to select him late, it’s very possible he ends up being a very good value.

6th Round Comp Pick - S Sydney Brown, Illinois​

The Rams will need to take a safety in the upcoming draft. While Nick Scott or Taylor Rapp will return, there’s no chance both of them are brought back. The Rams will have Russ Yeast, but they will need to add some depth. Brown could make an immediate impact on special teams.

211th Overall - QB Jake Haener, Fresno State​

After experiencing John Wolford and Bryce Perkins this season, the Rams need to invest in the backup quarterback position in 2023. Haener may not be a top prospect, but he’s been very productive at the college level. He may not have the ceiling of a top prospect, but he can be a good backup behind Matthew Stafford.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IllegalRashJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Los Angeles Rams are officially eliminated from the playoffs and now all attention goes to the 2023 NFL Draft. With compensatory picks, the Rams are set to have nine picks next April. With the first selection currently set for 34th overall, meaning they should be able to get a quality starter to help Matthew Stafford, fresh off of his official non-retirement announcement. Let’s take a look at mock draft post-playoff elimination

34th Overall - OC John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota​

The Rams need to find some consistency at center this offseason. While Brian Allen plays well when he’s on the field, he’s consistently been injured. John Michael Schmitz is one of, if not the best center in the country. Taking a player like Schmitz just might make up for passing on Creed Humphrey in 2021.

68th Overall - TE Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State​

The Rams need depth and a future at the tight end position. Tyler Higbee hasn’t played well in 2022 and behind him, the Rams really only have Brycen Hopkins. Hopkins had more catches in the Super Bowl than he has in all of 2022. Kraft can block and creates mismatches as a pass-catcher. He’s a versatile player that can line up anywhere along the offensive formation, making him a player Sean McVay could have a lot of fun with.

5th Round Comp Pick - OT Cody Mauch, North Dakota State​

The Rams need to add some attitude and toughness to the offensive line. That’s what they would be getting with Cody Mauch. Trevor Penning, Cole Strange, and Braxton Smith have each found success in the NFL this season after coming from the FCS. Dillon Radunz came out of North Dakota State and has done well also. He’s a very good lateral mover and quickly gets to the second level.

5th Round Comp Pick - WR Zakhari Franklin, UTSA​

The Rams may not need a wide receiver, but it would not be surprising to see them take one. I could see McVay really liking Franklin’s game. He’s an absolute technician. He’s a good route runner and therefore is able to create separation and is simply a reliable target. He’s the type of depth receiver that the Rams have been lacking.

168th Overall - DT Colby Wooden, Auburn​

This offseason the Rams could lose both A’Shawn Robinson and Greg Gaines. Hopefully they can bring one back, but it’s possible they let both walk. Even if they do keep one, they'll need to add depth. Wooden is similar to Michael Hoecht in the sense that he can play inside at the three-technique or outside at a five-technique. The Rams like versatile defensive linemen and Wooden fits that bill.

177th Overall - CB Garrett Williams, Syracuse​

You could make a strong case that the Rams should take a cornerback with their first pick in the second round. They need to rebuild their secondary outside of Jalen Ramsey. Cobie Durant will develop and is likely better suited as a third cornerback. The Rams may need to sign someone in free agency. Still, they’ll need to draft a player to compete with Derion Kendrick and replace David Long.

83rd Overall - RB Roschon Johnson, Texas​

For four years Brian Robinson was buried on the Alabama depth chart behind Damien Harris, Najee Harris, Josh Jacobs and Bo Scarbrough. He had just one season as the lead back. Bijan Robinson might have been the guy at Texas, but that doesn’t mean that Johnson also isn’t good. If the Rams found a way to select him late, it’s very possible he ends up being a very good value.

6th Round Comp Pick - S Sydney Brown, Illinois​

The Rams will need to take a safety in the upcoming draft. While Nick Scott or Taylor Rapp will return, there’s no chance both of them are brought back. The Rams will have Russ Yeast, but they will need to add some depth. Brown could make an immediate impact on special teams.

211th Overall - QB Jake Haener, Fresno State​

After experiencing John Wolford and Bryce Perkins this season, the Rams need to invest in the backup quarterback position in 2023. Haener may not be a top prospect, but he’s been very productive at the college level. He may not have the ceiling of a top prospect, but he can be a good backup behind Matthew Stafford.

I would like to see the Rams get a bruiser at RB, but I don't see the next Jerome Bettis in the first few rounds of this draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to see the Rams get a bruiser at RB, but I don't see the next Jerome Bettis in the first few rounds of this draft.
Don't know about a bruiser or even if that's the McVay type of back but Johnson IIRC forced the most missed tackles in college football over the last two years and has very little tread on those tires. He's an excellent pickup IMO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My biggest hole to fill is an OLB who can get after the passer. Good picks just missing what I think we need the most.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know about a bruiser or even if that's the McVay type of back but Johnson IIRC forced the most missed tackles in college football over the last two years and has very little tread on those tires. He's an excellent pickup IMO.
GRAB HIM!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ha. I just looked at this, and we both had Mauch and Roschon Johnson. Great minds think alike! (Although, I think Mauch will go on Day 2.) Being blunt, I don't think our HC and GM value IOL enough to take one that high. My instinct is they go with an EDGE or a HB with our second. Why? Well, because we tried to trade a lot of draft compensation for Christian McCaffrey and then Brian Burns. That tells me where our focus is.

With Akers getting his groove back, my instinct is that we address HB before the Draft (adding a FA or a HB in a trade to pair with Akers). Thus, I am expecting we go EDGE in the second round. This is a strong draft for edge rushers, and there should be some very talented guys (Jared Verse, B.J. Ojulari, Nolan Smith, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, etc.) who slip into the top 10-15 picks of the second round.

I do agree that we'll go TE at some point on Day 2 or early Day 3. We need to start planning for life after Higbee.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Den the coach:

You had me at schmitz. It just stinks that our FO is so stubborn about prioritizing the Center spot. May it be your mock to their draft that they see the light and find a day one starter who can be an anchor on that OL around whom they can build.
Like I always say, “drafting the best player at a position is never a bad pick.” If schmitz is that guy…no reason to pass unless they see another “best player” at another position. I just think there’s gotta be a player like that when the Rams make their first pick.

I appreciate your attention to both lines in general. It’s time to reload while we still have a year or two left with Donald and Havs.

Will the Rams listen to you? Doubtful.

I can though, see them taking a WR and a RB. They love drafting those positions.

Thanks for the hard work. Some really good picks.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Not a Bettis but how about the kid from TCU? Kendre Miller, 6'0" 206 lbs....though during the game with Michigan, they said he was closer to 220. 1400 yards (6.2) 17 TDs

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Huge fan of Kraft and Franklin. Franklin reminds me so much of Robert Woods-lite in that he's a technician as a route runner, has sticky hands, and underrated, but not burner speed. He's not going to blow people away athletically at all - which is why I think he could potentially be in play with one of our two fifth round compensatory picks - but I seriously, seriously love how well rounded his route running is, and I think it's the best in this year's class.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a Bettis but how about the kid from TCU? Kendre Miller, 6'0" 206 lbs....though during the game with Michigan, they said he was closer to 220. 1400 yards (6.2) 17 TDs
He looks really good. Probably first round, good….

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Love this mock draft. The one big missing item is an edge/OLB. But theoretically we could solve that issue in FA. More likely imo is one of our top 2 picks is used on an edge/olb.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The Zakhari Franklin seems like a luxury pick. I'd be interested to hear if you think there is a capable EDGE available at that @den-the-coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Zakhari Franklin seems like a luxury pick. I'd be interested to hear if you think there is a capable EDGE available at that @den-the-coach.
@jrry32 had the Rams taking B.J. Ojulari out of LSU with their first pick and IMO, the Rams could go that way and then OL after that. I also like Bralen Trice out of Washington, which could be had in the 3rd round to give you a couple of guys to look at early.