Rams 53-man roster prediction: Wide receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pick your last 2 WRs to fill out the roster if (Austin, Britt, Cooper, Marquez) are your 4 already

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams 53-man roster prediction: Wide receivers
usatsi_8728043.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/24/rams-53-man-roster-prediction-wide-receivers/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 4 hours ago

In this series we will be predicting and breaking down each position, while getting down to the full 53-man roster. Here is our early pre-training camp roster, and we are going to delve into the wide receiver position.

Related:

2016 Rams training camp battles: Pharoh Cooper vs. Bradley Marquez

Total wide receivers (11): Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Pharoh Cooper, Bradley Marquez, Brian Quick, Deon Long, Paul McRoberts, Marquez North, Duke Williams, Nelson Spruce and Mike Thomas
usatsi_8728175.jpg

Wide receivers who will make the cut (6): Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Pharoh Cooper, Bradley Marquez, Mike Thomas and Nelson Spruce
One of the harder questions to answer is who will make this crop. Overall there is some reason to believe there are locks like Tavon Austin who just had his fifth-year option picked up, Kenny Britt who has been the Rams No. 1 wide out and Pharoh Cooper who is already working the slot.

I expect this battle to go down to the wire, but in the end I do see at least one UDFA making the 53-man roster. I could also see two making it, but that depends on a lot. The Rams will keep six at least and maybe seven.

The Rams have some tough ones to consider such as their former 2nd-round pick Brian Quick who signed a prove-it-deal, Bradley Marquez who was an ace on special teams last year and Mike Thomas who the Rams just drafted this season. I fully believe that Nelson Spruce will make this roster and become the only UDFA to make the regular season roster as well as Marquez who will make the roster for the second straight year.

Wide receivers cut (5): Brian Quick, Deon Long, Paul McRoberts, Marquez North and Duke Williams
The former 2nd-rounder out of Appalachian State is being considered by many to be on the Rams for the 2016 season. Unfortunately for Quick he has only shown flashes of being the kind of wide out the Rams thought they were getting. He looked like he was catching fire in 2014 until a torn rotator cuff and separated shoulder ended his season. He has since struggled, and with more talent battling for a spot on the WR corps this year than ever before, Quick seems to be the odd one out.

Deon Long should feel very proud of himself, the Rams started the offseason with around 15-16 wide receivers and he survived the first cuts. The former Maryland wide out bounced around the Tennessee Titans, Miami Dolphins and then the Rams practice squad in 2015. Long has made it far but he will most certainly be one of the first cut.

Speaking of UDFAs, Paul McRoberts looks like he could make the team. The issue? There is too much talent that is covering a guy like him. I fully expect McRoberts to end up on the practice squad if he isn’t snagged away by another team.

A former University of Tennessee receiver like McRoberts is a UDFA as well. I also feel like North is most likely to make the practice squad. North and McRoberts in recent years might have been easy to put on the roster but now the Rams have just drafted two receivers and added two UDFAs that are showing off early.

The man with all the off-the-field issues, the man who said he was a first-round talent with a seventh-round character. He received a try out with the Rams after the draft. He won a contract and now he is looking to stay. Williams could end up being the future at the position. However with the lack of spots and the surplus of talent, Williams could get lost in the shuffle. I think Williams won’t make the roster right away but he will be a practice squad member that possibly even joins the active roster before the end of the season.

Most pivotal training camp battle at the position: UDFAs vs. Brian Quick
Yes, I was going to put Cooper vs. Marquez originally but I decided what was more pivotal is who fills out the back-end of the depth chart. Quick has stuck around since he was drafted in 2012 despite never having accumulated 1,000 yards receiving in his career. The UDFAs the Rams brought in threaten Quick’s existence on the Rams. This is going to be an old school pre-season battle. All four of the UDFAs are trying to make the roster and they should clearly see they are going to need to set their sights on out performing the second-rounder.

Related:

2016 Rams training camp battles: Pharoh Cooper vs. Bradley Marquez

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bradley Marquez makes it huh? Over Quick? okay...

Yeah, Quick has never eclipsed 1000 yards receiving in a season....None of our receivers has....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Austin, Britt, Cooper, Thomas, Williams and Spruce. Rookies takin over the world.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bradley Marquez makes it huh? Over Quick? okay...

Yeah, Quick has never eclipsed 1000 yards receiving in a season....None of our receivers has....
I will take Marquez 1,000 times over Quick. Bottom line is this a league where you need to produce in some capacity. The only time he showed that was with Austin Davis at the beginning of 2014. The only reason he was still on the roster after looking like a complete bust was due to the lack of competition. Now? theres plenty, his size doesn't blow me away either since size doesn't matter when the guy who is 5'8 is making more plays aka Tavon Austin. My point is this Quick never really blew me away I always liked Givens more who actually is the best pure receiver that Snisher has drafted up until this point...Let that sink in.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
It's very exciting. ...all the wr competition this year. ... my take is this.... Quick will decide his own fate.... no more excuses. He has to push Britt... or even take his spot to be safe. If he doesn't. ....and it's real close competition between he and any of the rookies.... imho..... they will keep the rook..... plus with Quick's shoulder injury.... I am not sure that he can contribute on special teams.... at least to the extent the young guys would. If he some how pushes past Britt on the depth chart.... I expect they will keep one less rookie to keep Britt if they don't try to trade him...... just my opinions...... we will see... either way that it works out for Quick the Rams should be stronger at the wr position this year.... ;)

Go Rams...... ;)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bradley Marquez and Brian Quick ARE NOT LOCKS to make the 53 man roster. I expect the WR position to be wide open in TC.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I picked Thomas and Quick. Not because I prefer them, but because I think thats who Fisher will keep. Draft picks typically have a better shot over UFDA's because of the investment.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem cutting Quick. I think he's a bust. The light went on for a brief moment in year 3. As soon as teams realized he could be a threat, they paid attention to him and he went back to his shell. Then the injury as he's been the same as he was the first two seasons.

But Fishers likes receivers who can block. Quick can do that. But I doubt he'll catch more than 25-30 passes or surpass 450 yards. He'll disappear some games in the process. I believe Spruce would be a better option but I think Fisher feels the need to give Quick one last chance.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I will take Marquez 1,000 times over Quick.
No you wouldn't....C'mon, hyperbole to win an argument? You're better than that Jake. He of the 5.7 ypc average? Why, because he caught an onside kick once? Threw a key block on a Tavon punt return? Made a key ST tackle? Why would you keep a udfa ST guy over a 2nd round pick in year 5?

The only time he showed that was with Austin Davis at the beginning of 2014.
Okay....and the others have shown they could be an NFL wr when? Not Britt...he does his thing...even around limited QB talent....

I always liked Givens more who actually is the best pure receiver that Snisher has drafted up until this point...Let that sink in.
I liked Givens too...until I noticed he wouldn't go over the middle much....But I still liked his skill-set....Sorry to see him go...oh well

Bradley Marquez and Brian Quick ARE NOT LOCKS to make the 53 man roster.
No one should be a "lock"....Compete..and let the best player win...and play.
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem cutting Quick. I think he's a bust.
Bust....hmm...damn shame what some of these guys gotta do....I still wonder...if he isn't a bust...what if Schotty goes to Indy, and screws up Luck...I mean, Luck is already struggling...but really messes him up. What do you call Schotty?
Until he plays with a competent QB...none of our wrs can be labeled as anything but underutilized.....The offense around a player determines his real value...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I actually think they'll keep Quick. He was producing until he got hurt. He wasn't recovered last year. Now he is and I'd expect his talent to beat out some of the others. If he doesn't - great we've got someone more talented!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's Waaaay too early to lock tis up! I don't agree Marquez is a lock!
The only two I see as "Locks are Britt and Austin!!" The rest is going to be a real Battle!:D:yess:
But I do favor BRITT-AUSTIN-QUICK-COOPER-THOMAS AND NORTH at this point in time!!:hiding::mrburnsevil:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't think Marquez is a 100% certainty, either.

And I think Quick is a longshot unless he blows it up in camp.

Britt and Austin are locks.

Cooper is virtually a lock, especially after those OTA reports.

But after that? Ummmmm... Who knows?

My best guess pre camp would be Marquez, Thomas, and Spruce.

Get back to me in early September. Lol.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
No you wouldn't....C'mon, hyperbole to win an argument? You're better than that Jake. He of the 5.7 ypc average? Why, because he caught an onside kick once? Threw a key block on a Tavon punt return? Made a key ST tackle? Why would you keep a udfa ST guy over a 2nd round pick in year 5?

Okay....and the others have shown they could be an NFL wr when? Not Britt...he does his thing...even around limited QB talent....

I liked Givens too...until I noticed he wouldn't go over the middle much....But I still liked his skill-set....Sorry to see him go...oh well

Bust....hmm...damn shame what some of these guys gotta do....I still wonder...if he isn't a bust...what if Schotty goes to Indy, and screws up Luck...I mean, Luck is already struggling...but really messes him up. What do you call Schotty?
Until he plays with a competent QB...none of our wrs can be labeled as anything but underutilized.....The offense around a player determines his real value...
I still am trying to grasp how we are still holding on to Quick who is often injured and underachieving, yet we let Danario Alexander go like ASAP and he went on to go off with the Chargers the same season. Make the right choice this time Fish cut Quick. This is a new era I am tired of lackluster play. Size isn't a talent

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

I am sick of Quick to be honest. Size is not a talent you are just lucky to have been gifted it. So because Marquez is 5'11 and Quick is 6'3 people give Quick the look. How bout this Marquez is more reliable, more versatile and young than Quick. Marquez reminds me of Amendola. Just watch as everyone who writes off Marquez gets it right back in there face. Seriously let Quick go he is no better than Isaiah Pead. Both 2nd rounders...

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I actually agreed with most of what you posted, until...

You decided to throw your credibility away.
I'm not wrong...Unless you want to count Bailey as the best, Austin hasn't been a WR to this point. Name anyone better than Chris Givens. As far as overall receiving stats and whatnot Givens has been the best.

HellRam

Starter
I voted Thomas and Spruce.

I think its 50/50 Quick makes the roster. He's going into year 5. It's never been popular on Rams board's to dis Quick... but im just gonna say it. Quick is God awful. Watching Quick try to make a play on the ball is like watching a fish out of water. If Quick isnt open he is useless. Thus why Rams QB's rarely look his way. In the words of Torry Holt" Brian Quick plays small". I'm hoping like all Rams fans the light clicks on. But each year Quick is on the roster thats anouther year of a potential productive WR not being on the roster.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Voted Thomas and Williams, but I honestly could see seven receivers making the roster. In that case - and I hope it's the case - I'd add Spruce to the list.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Dn
I voted Thomas and Spruce.

I think its 50/50 Quick makes the roster. He's going into year 5. It's never been popular on Rams board's to dis Quick... but im just gonna say it. Quick is God awful. Watching Quick try to make a play on the ball is like watching a fish out of water. If Quick isnt open he is useless. Thus why Rams QB's rarely look his way. In the words of Torry Holt" Brian Quick plays small". I'm hoping like all Rams fans the light clicks on. But each year Quick is on the roster thats anouther year of a potential productive WR not being on the roster.
Danario Alexander did more in two seasons than Quick has done in his whole career and we cut him straight up even when there was like no competition same with Donnie Avery oh and btw Quick is up against major competition Spruce and Williams I imagine are the hardest UDFAs to pass up on...