Rams 53-man roster prediction: Quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Does Sean Mannion actually have any chance at being the opening day starter?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams 53-man roster prediction: Quarterbacks
usatsi_9340699.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/20/rams-53-man-roster-prediction-quarterbacks/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | July 20, 2016 10:00 pm ET

In this series we will be predicting and breaking down each position, while getting down to the full 53-man roster. Here is our early pre-training camp roster, and we are going to start with the quarterback position.

Related:

2016 Rams training camp battles: Case Keenum vs. Jared Goff

Total quarterbacks (5): Jared Goff, Case Keenum, Sean Mannion, Nick Foles, Dylan Thompson
usatsi_9319954.jpg

Quarterbacks who will make the cut (3): Jared Goff, Case Keenum, Sean Mannion
The Rams are only keeping three quarterbacks, it’s not up for debate. We also know exactly who is staying and who is going. What we don’t know is what order these three names will be in. That will be decided throughout training camp and preseason.

Quarterbacks cut (2): Nick Foles and Dylan Thompson
After being traded to the Rams, Nick Foles became the starter practically instantaneously, that is, until he lost the job to Case Keenum after some pitiful play. Unfortunately for Foles, the Rams have seemingly made up their mind in the fact that they probably will not be keeping him. They continue to hold onto him with hopes that they can trade him away for something. Now, as soon as the Rams realize no one is trading anything for a player who every team knows is going to be cut, they will release Foles.

Dylan Thompson was added by the Rams as more of a camp arm. He has essentially no chance to make the team, so his job now is to be another guy in camp who can show off a little of what he can do, while possibly playing a bit in the preseason games.

Most pivotal training camp battle at the position: Jared Goff vs. Case Keenum
The obvious battle that is stealing headlines, is the one between No. 1 overall draft pick Jared Goff and last year’s season-ending starter in Case Keenum. We know the Rams are keeping three quarterbacks. However, as previously mentioned, we don’t know where these guys will fall in the pecking order. Goff is a rookie, so he is likely to be given plenty of reps in the preseason. Keenum however, is the starter at the moment, so we will see how this plays out.

Overall, I expect Goff to be the starter when the Rams play on Monday Night Football against the San Francisco 49ers. Although, it would truly be no surprise to me if Goff is not the Week 1 starter. One can understand the reason behind Keenum starting early on, but the fact of the matter is, Goff has plenty of time before the opening game and I expect him to be ready to go.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Now, as soon as the Rams realize no one is trading anything for a player who every team knows is going to be cut, they will release Foles.
Makes Snisher look crazy huh? Well hope springs eternal...or something like that...

Seriously...we need to start Goff.....And we need to cut Keenum too....No need to let go of a good wr, db, or LB for a QB that probably won't play, and really is no better (or worse) than a guy we can't decide whether to cut or trade....

I'm ready to move Mannion into the #2 role....

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A
Makes Snisher look crazy huh? Well hope springs eternal...or something like that...

Seriously...we need to start Goff.....And we need to cut Keenum too....No need to let go of a good wr, db, or LB for a QB that probably won't play, and really is no better (or worse) than a guy we can't decide whether to cut or trade....

Agreed these are my predictions.... What I would want? Goff and Mannion with someone on our ps to promote if an injury occurs

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

That's crazy, all due respect. Have two quarterbacks with zero starting experience? Come on man!!:cool:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I'd love to have Goff and Mannion leave camp as #1 and #2, but even if that happens, I'd still want Keenum holding a clipboard
Me too. And all kidding aside, @LACHAMP46 I love your idea for '17. Get Mannion some real time experience in 4th quarters against the 'Hags, Whiners and Cards when we go up by 3 TDs.:snicker: Then, boom, hand him Case's clipboard next year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That's crazy, all due respect. Have two quarterbacks with zero starting experience? Come on man!!
imagine if we were going with Keenum, Foles, and Clemons this year...boatloads of experience, right? How would you feel going into the season? Me....:puke::baghead:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If we're talking about '16, then this is a no brainer. Gotta be Goff, Keenum, and Mannion.

Hell, Keenum might be our starter, for cryin' out loud. Maybe for half a season. It's all about who gives us the best chance to win each individual Sunday. And if the staff likes Mannion, then they're not gonna let him get away this year under any circumstances. Good QB"s are just too hard to come by. Some other promising player will just have to lose his roster spot first.

Now, if we're talking about '17, then who knows about the backup? Goff's clearly gonna be the starter barring a calamity. But Mannion may have made a statement somehow by then. If so, then yeah, Keenum might then be expendable.

The ideal QB scenario for any team is to have a top 10 starter and a solid backup sitting there to step in for a short time in the event of an injury. No 3rd QB, which would leave a slot for a promising developing player at another position.

Two things...

Mannion has his work cut out to beat out Keenum in '17.

We ain't there yet at QB. We're not even certain who will be our starter come opening day. Lots of sorting out remains at QB for this year, making 3 on the roster a necessity.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All I know is, the first preseason games, let Keenum start for a half a quarter. Put Goff in the rest of the first half with Cooper, Higbee and Thomas. See what they can do. After that, Goff starts so he can get some work with the incumbent receivers. See which receivers he has the best connection with.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Funny how everyone wants to kick Case Keenum to the curb, my feeling if Sean Mannion showcases the ability and is better than Keenum then I am fine next year making Mannion the backup in 2017, however, this is Jared Goff's team and my hope for Sean Mannion is to be successful enough so the Rams can deal him for a high draft pick down the road.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Throw in Shaun Hill, and you've got a deal.
For some reason, I always forget him....not sure why....

It's all about who gives us the best chance to win each individual Sunday.

I really wanted to put this in bold type...kinda highlight it, cause it's really my point.....
if Sean Mannion showcases the ability and is better than Keenum
I believe shawn mannion is a 3rd round pick for a reason...Same with 1st overall selection Goff....These guys have got to be better than Case Keenum...and with reps....all of them, will continue to get better and better and
gives us the best chance to win each individual Sunday.
Simple....

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I actually really like Keenum. Assuming Goff works out as our starter for the foreseeable future, I do see a clash of co-existence between the other two coming to a head in either '17 or '18.

I suppose for his sake, I would rather see Mannion get a chance to be a starter in this league. Keenum is more the lifetime backup type.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
This year? No way in the lower 40. In the future for another team? Possibly, I could see his career following the path of Shaun Hill. A career backup that's capable of coming in and subbing for your injured starter and playing well at it then getting a big pay check.