Rams 53-man roster prediction: Defensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What bubble player do you 100% want to make the roster?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams 53-man roster prediction: Defensive line
usatsi_8928216.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/27/rams-53-man-roster-prediction-defensive-line/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 1 hour ago

In this series we will be predicting and breaking down each position, while getting down to the full 53-man roster. Here is our early pre-training camp roster, and we are going to go right into the trenches with the defensive line positions.

Total defensive lineman (11): William Hayes, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn, Quinton Coples, Dominique Easley, Ethan Westbrooks, Eugene Sims, Matt Longacre, Cam Thomas and Morgan Fox
usatsi_9364307.jpg

Offensive lineman who will make the cut (9): William Hayes, Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn, Quinton Coples, Dominique Easley, Ethan Westbrooks, Eugene Sims and Matt Longacre
The Rams once again will go into the start of the season with five 1st-round picks on the defensive line. This group includes Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Dominique Easley and Quinton Coples. The Rams have been able to pile up the depth of this position with Ethan Westbrooks and Matt Longacre being the notable undrafted free agents.

Coach Jeff Fisher has been able to brag about his defensive line every year. They are easily one of , if not the most, feared defensive lines in the whole league. New talent like Dominique Easley and Quinton Coples help to maintain this defensive line prowess. The depth chart at defensive line should remain close to the same as last year.

Longacre caught a break when Louis Trinca-Pasat went down with a torn ACL. That injury might have solidified his stay on the roster, but time will certainly tell.

Related:

Rams 53-man roster prediction: Offensive line

Defensive lineman cut (2): Cam Thomas and Morgan Fox
Unfortunately the UNC connection that the Rams were forming will come to no avail. Cam Thomas, the former Steelers defensive tackle just doesn’t have much of a chance with the amount of talent and youth around him. I think ultimately he was considered a player that could come in and push guys like Easley and Westbrooks. Thomas could make the roster but I don’t see that as the wise move over a talented and younger guy.

Poor Morgan Fox could end up being good and still really never have much of a chance. Fox was brought in as a camp body out of Colorado State Pueblo. He has made the huge leap from a school unheard of to an NFL off-season roster. If he performs well I would imagine the Rams will keep him but I don’t really give him much of chance to make the opening day roster.

Most pivotal training camp battle at the position: Eugene Sims vs. Matt Longacre
This one is probably not being talked about at all but it should. Longacre is 24-year-old and is looking to continue making strides. He had a killer preseason last year and needs that again this year. Eugene Sims on the other hand is a 30-year-old veteran that was drafted by Spanuolo and Billy Devaney’s regime and remains one of the last players left from that era of Rams football.

Why is this a pivotal battle? Longacre and Sims not only play the same position but Longacre is fighting to stay on the roster. What better way to show that than out playing a veteran like Sims. If Longacre played well enough, he could push Sims to take a back seat.

I like Sims a lot but Longacre might be the future rotational defensive end and be able to play the same role Sims has played since day one. Maybe the Rams should entertain Longacre over Sims.

Related:

Everyone's overlooking DE Matt Longacre, but we're not

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's kind of hard for me to say a Player is "On the Bubble" with TC just getting started Tomorrow!!;)(y)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two things, you said offensive line when you list the option(9). Also I don't think Simms is on the bubble.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would like Cam Thomas to make the squad Rams don't have another DT on the roster to back up Brockers and need a player to stuff the run. Westbrook is a DE that can play DT and Easley is more on par with Donald as to size, so IMO, the Rams need a biggin for depth like Nick Fairley last year.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apologize for that minor error and Sims is on the bubble from what I've heard he should make the roster but if the Rams find that younger guys can produce just as well they may cut Sims as they keep on trying to stay younger. Not kidding

tempests

Hall of Fame
Sims is a favorite of this coaching staff. Playing time has increased every year under Fisher.