Rams 4th in scoring defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
That’s cool and all but we proved against the Cowboys that even early lapses won’t be enough to stop us. You can’t run the ball when you’re down by 20.

What happens when the Rams are down by 14. See the Skins game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They need to start Tyrunn Walker at NT, when he's in, teams don't run.

Maybe they want to lull the opposition into thinking they can run on them. Get them running, stop the run and by the time they figure out they can't run they're behind by 3 scores.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They were driving to take the lead then woods had a brain explosion two times to kill it. Unfortunately next drive Goff threw the int. The rams have shown many times they can come back. This ain't Jeff Fisher's rams anymore.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The run defense is still an issue. We gotta get it figured out.

That's the always lurking Achilles heel for this D, IMO..It just seems to me that at some point (probably the worst possible time), getting beat up by the run game and saving the day with a turnover, is going to dry up...I just hope they can slow the running game early and not have to depend on creating turnovers...Not a criticism, just a wish so that my heart stays in one piece (not a real easy task for an asshole as old and used up as me)...

JackStraw

Rookie
RIP RQ94

I loved the kid more than Carter, Little and Wistrom, combined.

But it's all over now.

Ram65

Legend
They were driving to take the lead then woods had a brain explosion two times to kill it. Unfortunately next drive Goff threw the int. The rams have shown many times they can come back. This ain't Jeff Fisher's rams anymore.

Yet it was a lose. It wasn't on Woods as they could not stop the Skins late. The Rams run defense failed early then the defense tired late. The Rams haven't been down much at all this year. Dallas game which the Rams had a10 to 6 days off advantage and Skins game they lost. This is about being an elite defense and I don't see it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yet it was a lose. It wasn't on Woods as they could not stop the Skins late. The Rams run defense failed early then the defense tired late. The Rams haven't been down much at all this year. Dallas game which the Rams had a10 to 6 days off advantage and Skins game they lost. This is about being an elite defense and I don't see it.

Need to add some size at ILB and a legit NT.... Smart is a nice back up, but need someone with more lead in their ass that can tie up two blockers or push the pocket inside.

Just need to add that physicality to this defensive front 7.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We don't have an elite defense, but neither did the 99 Rams. We do have a very good defense. That's enough for us to contend.

JackStraw

Rookie
We don't have an elite defense, but neither did the 99 Rams. We do have a very good defense. That's enough for us to contend.
Our defense in '99 wasn't great but played to full expectations. We had a A- DL, B LB, and B+ secondary.
Carter, Farr, Wistrom, Lyght, McCleon, DOT COM, and Lyle were strong that year.
These are some of the names of the dudes that turned me into a fan, by playing with them in the last Madden('00?) game for Playstation 1, the Ring kept me for life.
That secondary was better than what we have now, but other two areas don't compare to modern day Rams. Unless AD99 left the team, than '99 DL was more of a beast.

What makes our modern defense so damn good is a lot of these guys have been playing together for awhile - that means a lot

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The way New Orleans is running the ball....yikes.

The same was said about Jacksonville and other than an early run, we shut the run down. Now Blake Bortles isn’t Drew Brees. I think these next five games will tell us if this team is playing well enough to go deep in the playoffs or if it’s simply massively improved but a deep run is a year away.

JackStraw

Rookie
The same was said about Jacksonville and other than an early run, we shut the run down. Now Blake Bortles isn’t Drew Brees. I think these next five games will tell us if this team is playing well enough to go deep in the playoffs or if it’s simply massively improved but a deep run is a year away.
2-2 vs MN,NO,PHI and Ten would be a success and more than likely realistic.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
So what makes a defense elite? Top 4 in points allowed and creating turnovers sound elite to me. List the defensives that are playing better now, I'll wait.

Additionally, who else is going the run through us in our remaining schedule? Outside of the Saints, Jay Ajayi maybe? Murray is a scrub, we can stop him. Remember when AP was back and the Cards were good again? Shut out, that's what happened. Houston's def is considered elite and so is Jacksonvilles and we dropped 27+ on them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's remarkable how this unit has moved to 18.0 ppg from how bad they started. They're now in that legitimate playoff defense range, and tbh I don't think they've played their best ball yet.

The run defense hasn't been too great, however when they need to tighten things up they invariably do and have against some good offenses. I'm more frustrated by the pass defense, feel like our #1 & #2 CBs are really #2 & #3 types, but they're 9th in yards allowed, T-5th in sacks, and most importantly in QBR against they are ranked 3rd in the league with a 73.3 average.

Right now we have a solid playoff defense by all metrics. This is why the three playoff-level games we have coming up are so crucial. Gonna find out what this young team is made of dudes, let's GOOOOOO!!!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think the worry here is without a slightly better pass rush, we will get lit up by the Wentzs and Brees of the league. I really wish we had someone at the OLB spot who could threaten more consistently.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think the worry here is without a slightly better pass rush, we will get lit up by the Wentzs and Brees of the league. I really wish we had someone at the OLB spot who could threaten more consistently.
One of my pet peeves is when a quarterback's name is used in plural. The Bradys of the league, the Rodgers of the league, the Brees of the league... there's only ONE! Nothing against you but Colinsworth does that all the time and it drives me crazy! There's only one Brady, one Brees, one Roethlisberger, one Rodgers. Just say you're worried about Wentz and Brees.

Rant over haha

Honestly, I'm not worried about Wentz. He's like Russell Wilson and will throw up some 50/50 balls.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That Skins game was an anomaly for us. We’re a much better team now. I’m sure if you put Goff in that situation again to go down and tie the game, he would fare much better. See the Seahawks game. We did enough to win.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
ALL of the stats, both offense and defense will be challenged in the next 2 games. Should the Rams beat both the vikes and saints, I think there is a real possibility that only the eagles game could stop the Rams from winning out. They will certainly have the confidence at 9-2, and will have obviously demonstrated the ability.
...and at that point, would we really be scared of the eagles?

Ram65

Legend

My initial comment was about being an elite defense which we agree the Rams are not. You have expressed concerns over the run defense as well.

Jacksonville has Bortles. Saints have Brees who is near if not elite at QB. Big difference. Not a good comparison

That's a concern as well. Balanced offenses can keep Rams defense off balanced.

That Skins game was an anomaly for us. We’re a much better team now. I’m sure if you put Goff in that situation again to go down and tie the game, he would fare much better. See the Seahawks game. We did enough to win.

The Hags have not had a run game against any team. The Redskins game gave teams a blueprint on how to beat the Rams. Teams with more/better balance on offense can take better advantage of the Rams early poor run defense. The defense has been good to very good. I just hope they can play a little better.

fearsomefour

Legend
Our defense in '99 wasn't great but played to full expectations. We had a A- DL, B LB, and B+ secondary.
Carter, Farr, Wistrom, Lyght, McCleon, DOT COM, and Lyle were strong that year.
These are some of the names of the dudes that turned me into a fan, by playing with them in the last Madden('00?) game for Playstation 1, the Ring kept me for life.
That secondary was better than what we have now, but other two areas don't compare to modern day Rams. Unless AD99 left the team, than '99 DL was more of a beast.

What makes our modern defense so damn good is a lot of these guys have been playing together for awhile - that means a lot
Don't forget London Fletcher.
He was the straw that stirred the drink on D and in reality s HOF LB.