Rams 4th in scoring defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember when the Rams' defense was terrible to open the season, when they were having trouble adjusting to a different scheme, and AD was holding out? After the week 10 Sunday games

Jacksonville 134 points allowed
Pittsburgh 148 points allowed
Carolina 159 points allowed
Our Rams 162 points allowed

all with 9 games played

I have to say - I'm damn impressed. It's highly possible that the Rams could end the year #1 in points scored and in fewest points allowed!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The defense has really stepped up when we needed them to step up. Four turnovers always helps.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The run defense is still an issue. We gotta get it figured out.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The run defense is still an issue. We gotta get it figured out.

Yes. That's being covered up to some extent by the offense getting several td leads much of the game now.

Q729

Legend
The point stat matters the most to me. If they let a team march down 99 yards then get a turnover I'm good. Obviously that's not sustainable, but you can't win if you can't score points!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Remember when the Rams' defense was terrible to open the season, when they were having trouble adjusting to a different scheme, and AD was holding out? After the week 10 Sunday games

Jacksonville 134 points allowed
Pittsburgh 148 points allowed
Carolina 159 points allowed
Our Rams 162 points allowed

all with 9 games played

I have to say - I'm damn impressed. It's highly possible that the Rams could end the year #1 in points scored and in fewest points allowed!

Schedule gets a heck of a lot tougher from here on in. So not expecting that. And if they don't start stopping the run, they will struggle to even win games. Seems like right now what is stopping the run is our offense getting out to big leads. That is not likely to happen against defenses like the Vikes, Saints, and Eagles.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schedule gets a heck of a lot tougher from here on in. So not expecting that. And if they don't start stopping the run, they will struggle to even win games. Seems like right now what is stopping the run is our offense getting out to big leads. That is not likely to happen against defenses like the Vikes, Saints, and Eagles.
The Vikes, Saints, and Iggles better worry the hell about us.....C'mon man, we DON'T suck

Ram65

Legend
This is not an elite defense. A good QB would have lit them up today. Can't stop the run early in every game. Missed easy FG, missed open WR for a TD early by Texans. I don't see a consistent pass rush early either.

KDS73

Rookie
Since the Dallas game, the Rams have allowed 11 ppg. That’s elite.

One could easily make the argument that Dallas was the last good offensive team they faced. If they can keep it up against good offensive teams like the Saints and Eagles, THEN I'll be impressed.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Vikes, Saints, and Iggles better worry the hell about us.....C'mon man, we DON'T suck

Not saying we do, but my one concern is those teams are running the ball well. The Saints won their last two games without Brees throwing a TD pass and today they ran it down the throat of a Bill's D ranked 8th in rush defense.

I am hoping our D gets it together, but I am concerned that our ILB's are more finesse than run stuffers.

And on offense I want to see us run the ball down teams throats!

James Otto

Starter
This is not an elite defense. A good QB would have lit them up today. Can't stop the run early in every game. Missed easy FG, missed open WR for a TD early by Texans. I don't see a consistent pass rush early either.

Elite no. But close.

The notion that a good QB would have lit us up today is hyperbole. Had the QB been different, the gameplan likely would have been too

Houston had 25 carriers for 89 yards. Don't buy the argument that teams stop running because we get leads. Teams are averaging 26 carries/gm against us. I don't care how they start, I care about the result at the end.

We are giving up 18.0 PPG. Wade is the king of adjustments, period.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Put me in the camp of being concerned about the run defense. Savage is just a straight up terrible backup QB. Houston was about ready to score on the final drive before the half before he threw the ball into double coverage. I think the problem is the d-line gets exposed with the amount of pass rushing they do and the linebackers aren't usually in position to make the play. The next few games are going to be VERY telling how good this defense really is.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
They need to start Tyrunn Walker at NT, when he's in, teams don't run.

Gotta agree here. I like what Smart could be in the future, but this team needs a big body like Walker in at nose. I don't know what the snap distribution is between the two, but Walker should be getting 80%+ of the snaps at NT. Smart is undersized and doesn't have a way to overcome that right now.

Ram65

Legend
Elite no. But close.

The notion that a good QB would have lit us up today is hyperbole. Had the QB been different, the gameplan likely would have been too

Houston had 25 carriers for 89 yards. Don't buy the argument that teams stop running because we get leads. Teams are averaging 26 carries/gm against us. I don't care how they start, I care about the result at the end.

We are giving up 18.0 PPG. Wade is the king of adjustments, period.

Not close to elite. I should have said could have lit up the Rams.

Better teams will take advantage of these early lapses. Savage is well below an average backup NFL QB. Had Watson been playing I believe things would have been much different. The King of Adjustments should have adjusted the early run problems a long time ago. The Rams haven't played a well balanced offense like the Vikings or Saints. Better teams aren't going to lose the turnover battle 4-0 either.

Here are the Saints run totals today against the Bills. They totaled 482 yards of offense and controlled the clock for 41:23 minutes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=400951555
Rushing 298
Rushing Attempts 48
Yards per rush 6.2

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Better teams will take advantage of these early lapses. Savage is well below an average backup NFL QB. Had Watson been playing I believe things would have been much different. The King of Adjustments should have adjusted the early run problems a long time ago. The Rams haven't played a well balanced offense like the Vikings or Saints. Better teams aren't going to lose the turnover battle 4-0 either.

Here are the Saints run totals today against the Bills. They totaled 482 yards of offense and controlled the clock for 41:23 minutes.

Rushing 298
Rushing Attempts 48
Yards per rush 6.2
While impressive a competent offense from the Bills might have changed that narrative. I really look forward to these next couple of games.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

Rushing 298
Rushing Attempts 48
Yards per rush 6.2
That’s cool and all but we proved against the Cowboys that even early lapses won’t be enough to stop us. You can’t run the ball when you’re down by 20.