Rams 2020 breakout watchlist: OL David Edwards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams 2020 breakout watchlist: OL David Edwards

It’s no coincidence that the Rams offense took a step back in the same year that the offensive line all but fell apart. It started to improve toward the end of last season after David Edwards, Austin Corbett and Bobby Evans were thrust into the starting lineup out of necessity, but it still wasn’t even close to average by the NFL’s standards.

Edwards was one of the bright spots, though, playing both left guard and right guard. He played best at right guard after Austin Blythe moved over to center, and he could remain there to start the 2020 season.

He won’t be handed the job, of course, but Edwards is one of the lead candidates to grab hold of a starting spot on the offensive line. And if he does, he could be in for a breakout season for Los Angeles.

NFL career thus far

Edwards was drafted in the fifth round last year and wasn’t expected to contribute as a rookie. However, with injuries suffered by Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen, Edwards was thrust into the starting lineup for 10 games.

He mostly played right guard, but his first taste of NFL action came at left guard in Week 7 after Noteboom went down. A few weeks later, Allen suffered an injury of his own and Austin Blythe shifted inside to center, thus moving Edwards to right guard and promoting Austin Corbett to the starting left guard.

Edwards committed far too many penalties – nine in total – last season, but he did only allow one sack on 689 snaps played and earned a PFF grade of 61.0.

Why he could break out

Edwards wasn’t a highly touted prospect out of Wisconsin, slipping all the way to the fifth round. But he has the size teams desire at guard and tackle, standing 6-foot-6 and 308 pounds. Of course, offensive line play comes down to much more than just physical stature, which is where Edwards must improve.

One reason he could break out, though, is his versatility and experience at right tackle. That helps him in pass protection when he’s left on an island, which was often the case when he was at Wisconsin. This isn’t a perfect example of that, but against the Bears last season, he had a one-on-one rep versus Khalil Mack, who rushed inside.

Edwards made Mack take a wide enough path to the quarterback that it was too late by the time Jared Goff got rid of the ball, which was a win for Edwards.

In the running game, he showed decent awareness when it came to getting to the second level and working with Bobby Evans on combo blocks. On this play, Edwards does a good job pushing the defender aside to open up a big hole for Todd Gurley on the right side of the line.

He got some help from Edwards, who gave the defender a shove, but this was a nice block by Edwards to give Gurley some room to run.

In the same game, Edwards cleared another path for Gurley up the middle by sustaining his block long enough for a hole to develop. It wasn’t a perfect block and the defender eventually slipped free from Edwards’ grasp, but Gurley picked up a solid chunk of yardage as a result of Edwards’ block.

If Edwards gets beat on the play, Gurley probably gets stopped right at the line.

Why he may not

For as many encouraging plays as Edwards had, he also had some that raise questions about his ability to play inside. Most of those questions come in pass protection where he can get overpowered by bigger interior defenders.

Al Woods of the Seahawks gave Edwards some trouble in their late-season matchup last year, winning a few battles on the interior. Edwards allowed Woods to pressure Goff on this play after getting beat to his outside shoulder, barely slowing Woods down.

Later in the game, he got bull-rushed by Woods straight back into Goff’s lap, though Goff was able to get rid of it before being sacked. Edwards loses leverage after he gets too upright and allows Woods to walk him back fairly quickly.

Woods isn’t known for being a dominant defensive tackle, either, so against the better linemen in the league, Edwards could struggle.

And finally, here’s an example of Edwards being thrown aside by a Bears defender on a running play up the middle. His assignment makes the tackle on Malcolm Brown, clearly losing this rep up front.

Edwards has good size, but his functional strength must improve. He has to be able to anchor down better and sustain blocks.

The biggest hurdle in Edwards’ path to potentially breaking out is the competition he’ll face at guard. Noteboom, Corbett, Blythe and even Bobby Evans could all compete for starting spots at guard, which might push Edwards to the bench.

The Rams just want to get their five best linemen on the field, and if Edwards can’t prove to be one of them, he’ll be relegated to a backup roles like the one he had early last season.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
These videos do not shed a good like on David Edwards.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I see a guy who moves well and uses his hands and body to steer his opponent out of the play. IMO, he plays guard like a tackle and sometimes that doesn’t work. He should be a good tackle to replace either Whitworth or Havenstein when the time comes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You can really get the wrong idea on a player with film if you don't watch entire games. And this is especially true with OL because no player dominates every snap.

He played very well for a rookie being thrown out there among an iffy unit. From his first game you could see the quality of his addition to our line. So there is reason to be excited about him.

I think this guy will be a plus lineman for us. Snead hasn't shown great ability to draft OL but he hit on Edwards IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
First here's another example where a sports writer Cameron DaSilva comments that the Rams best starting OG in 2019 (there was 5 in total) will face competition from LT Joseph Noteboom....o_O Just where does these guys get this info from?

David Edwards was a developmental project when he was drafted. DE came out after his Jr season after playing through shoulder issues as a Sophomore & then having surgery. I would also take into consideration that all of DE starts in college came from just one post....RT.

In addition, before his sophomore season DE was playing TE. He was also a HS QB. Should I also remind DaSilva DE is a very tall NFL starting OG most draft sites listed DE @ 6-7/320. I would expect massive NT's to have gave this rookie some problems. Not sure how many times DE playing RT in college was assigned to block NT's?

I also have a slight issue on DaSilva negative comment on Al Harris who is now a 33 yr old 10 yr veteran with massive size @ 6-4/335 lb. Yes Harris is a well travelled NT who is widely known as a run-stuffing DL'er with nothing to offer in pass rush skills. He is also has had issues with most teams not related to his on field performances.

I would expect DE to be a slightly better LG or RT than RG in his NFL career but it's not going to be in 2020.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He gave up 1 sack. Not bad for a rookie. He will get better.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The 3 youngsters I like most are Edwards, Evans and Corbett. Although with Big Whit, Blythe and Havenstein, I only expect two of the three youngsters to start. I think Noteboom begins the season on the bench. If Havenstein doesn't regain his form from pre 2019 I think they shouldn't waste any time switching Evans for him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
He gave up 1 sack. Not bad for a rookie. He will get better.
He was a rookie that was thrown into the fire and the prior year before that, was injured.
If he was not injured prior to his senior year in college, he would have been a much higher draft pick, in my opinion.

More than any player we have, I think a full camp at Right Guard will do wonders for him and even help Blythe and his confidence.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The 3 youngsters I like most are Edwards, Evans and Corbett. Although with Big Whit, Blythe and Havenstein, I only expect two of the three youngsters to start. I think Noteboom begins the season on the bench. If Havenstein doesn't regain his form from pre 2019 I think they shouldn't waste any time switching Evans for him.
I thought that Snead had great success @ inserting 4 NEW young OL'ers into Kromers OL cadre last season to go with Whitworth/ Havenstein & Blythe. Then you need to consider 2 of his other very young 2018 OL insertions & you get potentially Snead's best overall 9 to 10 player OL unit ever.

If Snead/Kromer get some luck to return to this OL like in 2017/2018 seasons things could dramatically improve in this OL. Just the return of full health of OT Noteboom hopefully with strengthening & added power to his frame would jet propels this alone. Kromer being set early @ his OT (Whitworth/ Havenstein/ Evans/ Noteboom) & OG posts (Edwards/Corbett/ Brewer/Anchrum) lets him turn his full attention to the weak center position.

Kromer has a half dozen centers (Blythe/ Allen/ Shelton/ Kolone/ Trewyn & Cabral) battling to earn the 2 center positions in the master playing roster & the 3rd to be signed to the Practice Squad in order to firm up the OC in 2020 & to secure it for the future.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He was a rookie that was thrown into the fire and the prior year before that, was injured.
If he was not injured prior to his senior year in college, he would have been a much higher draft pick, in my opinion.

More than any player we have, I think a full camp at Right Guard will do wonders for him and even help Blythe and his confidence.

I've heard the same thing quite a few times. No doubt he's a much better player than his draft position indicates.

Ram65

Legend
Went back and reread his draft profiles.

He is still learning to play the offensive line and was a QB then became a TE and started playing offensive lineman since 2016. He was slated to be a RT. He has a quick first step out of his stance and good early punch. He has some issues in his technique that could be coached up. I notice early on he has intensity and plays through the whistle. Rams need that intensity. He has to work on his balance and getting leverage. Overall he did a solid job considering he was supposed to play OT and not right away.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Went back and reread his draft profiles.

He is still learning to play the offensive line and was a QB then became a TE and started playing offensive lineman since 2016. He was slated to be a RT. He has a quick first step out of his stance and good early punch. He has some issues in his technique that could be coached up. I notice early on he has intensity and plays through the whistle. Rams need that intensity. He has to work on his balance and getting leverage. Overall he did a solid job considering he was supposed to play OT and not right away.

So he really only had two full years on the offensive line, was still drafted in the fifth round even though he was injured, and was thrown into the fire, played decently and is now on quite a few breakout watch lists.

That's actually pretty badass! :biggrin:

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
As someone else stated here in another thread, he was terrible last year. Imo, he is a better tackle than guard.