Rams 2020 breakout watchlist: LB Travin Howard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It was pointed out that Littleton's weakness was defending the run on 3rd downs. Teams ran right at the Rams on 3rd and long as well as 2nd and long. I think Howard would also be a liability in those situations as was Littleton. He is small (weight wise) to be a run stopper. Teams like the whiners and Hags won't hesitate to run at him in those situations. I don't think Kiser would be considered a 3rd down Lber. I and others have thought that the Rams could move Floyd over to the middle. The Rams would still have Ebu, Obo, Lewis, Polite, Fox, etc. to rush the QB. Floyd did play in the middle while at Georgia. He brings the versatility to the spot on 3rd downs. He has great length to play zone coverage and the ability to come up and play the run. Floyd can also rush the passer from the middle. He could just be the best choice
I'd love to see some film breakdown of this, but here's what I noticed. When Corey was the ONLY LB on the field on passing downs, teams moved the ball on us inside the box better. When we put Travin Howard in instead of Marqui Christian, and moved Taylor Rapp to a more traditional Safety position, thus giving us 2 LBs on the field in those situations, our defense played much better particularly against the Run.

I ranted for 2 seasons about that telling my friends to look how often other teams were keeping at least 2 LBs on the field most of the time, compared to our 1 and how much more stout those defense were vs. the Run
I also think part of the problem was the front 4 is also playing the pass. It stood out big time week 1, 3rd down and the dline is looking for a sack and McCaffrey gains 15 up the middle.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I also think part of the problem was the front 4 is also playing the pass. It stood out big time week 1, 3rd down and the dline is looking for a sack and McCaffrey gains 15 up the middle.
Yes, this.

The first step to getting to the quarterback is making sure he has the ball. The best way to do that is by taking away the run as a viable option. Once you force it into the passer's hands, you can pin your ears back and go.

Imo, when you have the most dominant interior pass rusher ever, you sell out against the run and let his natural talent speak for itself on passing downs.

Ram65

Legend
I'd love to see some film breakdown of this, but here's what I noticed. When Corey was the ONLY LB on the field on passing downs, teams moved the ball on us inside the box better. When we put Travin Howard in instead of Marqui Christian, and moved Taylor Rapp to a more traditional Safety position, thus giving us 2 LBs on the field in those situations, our defense played much better particularly against the Run.

I ranted for 2 seasons about that telling my friends to look how often other teams were keeping at least 2 LBs on the field most of the time, compared to our 1 and how much more stout those defense were vs. the Run

The film break down was very damaging to Littleton. IIRC he avoided physical contact and didn't shed blocks. The video was provided by @Merlin.

You could be right that having Howard over Christian was better for the run defense. I can't recall those plays. I think Howard was active in his limited playing time.

The way I see it as of now is having Burgess at FS with Rapp coming down for run support on 3rd downs in dime support. Long covers the slot in 11P. That would leave one Lber to play the Littleton roll;s. So would put Rapp back at safety and have Howard in run support/coverage and still have another LBer like Floyd play Littleton's roll?

Let me know what you are thinking.

Ram65

Legend

Check the 3-minute mark. The defense leaves a big hole in the middle on the front by having no one near the OC. It was 2nd and 17. McCaffery ran wild all game long. So the front 4 alinements didn't help as well as all-out pass rush. Still, Littleton was a liability in the run game on 2/3 and long.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJc1Hv4TX0&feature=onebox

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The difference between Howard and Littleton is that Howard doesn’t shy away from the run game. Littleton needed space Howard doesn’t he creates his own space to get to the ball carrier so while they might be the same weight wise they have a completely different mindset

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On this vacancy here in the "Move" or "Weakside" ILB'er post....... Most know from my posts I am very high on the promise of Howard & very low on Young. It's obvious that Wade preferred Howard to Young. It was Young who had all that experience over Howard who had none too. Howard stands a good opportunity to remain a Ram for the next 3 seasons. Young most likely will not & will be a UFA in 2021. I really like the massive college production that Howard turned in season after season after season!

The preseasons 2018/2019 I watched every snap that Howard had with the defense & I was pleased with what I saw. IMO he is a perfect ILB'ers for this new DC's defense where camouflage /disguise & being cloaked is what he wants. Howard can play many roles in this new defense. Not real sure if our new high priced LB'er Floyd will primarily an ER/OLB'ers or will he take up the MLB'er post or the Move ILB'er post?

We know that Kiser & Reeder are standard MLB'ers with the 5-11 Kiser having big length issues in pass coverage on tall long TE's and Reeder who is 6-3 has the speed issues. Not really sure where Johnston, Bituli & Roseboom will play, but I am sure Bituli is pure MLB'er with a big bang who might really push Kiser & Reeder. Johnston if fully healthy can play either of those ILB'er post & same goes for Roseboom. I project that the veteran Young will have his hands full fighting off both Johnston & Roseboom & Howard will end up starting in the Move ILB'er post.