Rams 2017 Offseason - Positions of Need

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please feel free to let me know what I may be missing, or where you think I may be wrong.

I think that going into this off-season, we have been looking at the following positions of need (not in order):

#3 QB - Aaron Murray
#2 RB
#1 WR
#2 WR - Signed Robert Woods
TE Depth
#1 LT - Signed Andrew Whitworth
#1 C
DL Depth - Tendered Dominique Easley at 1st round level
#1 OLB / #1 S (depending upon where they place Barron)
#1 ILB
LB Depth
#1 CB - Re-signed Trumaine Johnson
#2 CB
K

Obviously, if we trade Trumaine we re-open the hole.

We know we aren't going to fill all of them, but this has to be the group from which the head office is working (by and large).

How do you think we fill these holes? FA, draft, trade, other?

Did I miss any big holes?

edit 1: added Murray, and TE depth
edit 2: combined OLB/S for Barron

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm thinking some combination of CB, TE, DE, C will be addressed in the draft. Probably corner in round 2, that or TE/DE due to projected position strength early on. Good thing is our needs line up pretty good now with the draft strengths.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you have both ILB and S as holes? As of right now, Barron fills one of those.

We have ILB depth, QB is off the board here..

I think our needs, in priority order now, are:

Starters:

CB
ILB
OLB
DT
C

Depth:

CB
OLB
RB

I don't list WR either, although if its BPA in the draft, I'm all for drafting one.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
CB's - 2
OLB'ers - 2
DE - 1
NT/DT - 1
C -1
FS -1
WR - 1

possible TE if Kendricks released as CAP casualty

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll try to keep this updated as we go if I can. I like to have an overview, especially if it is within the first post.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
How do you have both ILB and S as holes? As of right now, Barron fills one of those.

We have ILB depth, QB is off the board here..

I think our needs, in priority order now, are:

Starters:

CB
ILB
OLB
DT
C

Depth:

CB
OLB
RB

I don't list WR either, although if its BPA in the draft, I'm all for drafting one.

Gotta move both C and WR waaaaay up your list of priorities, Frantik.

I'm praying for that much needed TruJo trade, man.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I see CB first along with WR not as deep as CB's are. Top centers from OSU,Kentucky and LSU are 2ND round grades too. Were gonna have to get super lucky or pick up another 2ND round pick.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I disagree. Can only fill so much, and we literally don't have another ILB, CB, DT or OLB to start right now in our defense - not really even an option at any of those positions (unless you start Barron at ILB, then replace ILB with S).

Those positions need filled first because IMO, we have guys on the roster that can fill in at C. And WR with Woods/Tavon/Cooper will be our starters. We need depth, sure. And maybe a WR ends up being BPA, which I'm fine with. But needs are greater at positions that we don't even have a body to start IMO.

I too am hoping for a TruJo trade.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I disagree. Can only fill so much, and we literally don't have another ILB, CB, DT or OLB to start right now in our defense - not really even an option at any of those positions (unless you start Barron at ILB, then replace ILB with S).

Those positions need filled first because IMO, we have guys on the roster that can fill in at C. And WR with Woods/Tavon/Cooper will be our starters. We need depth, sure. And maybe a WR ends up being BPA, which I'm fine with. But needs are greater at positions that we don't even have a body to start IMO.

Well, I guess we just see it differently then, Frantik.

I see Tavon as window dressing, NOT a viable and consistent WR threat. So I think WR via draft, trade, or FA is still a must have for '17. I'm serious. I consider Woods as a replacement for Britt, but not a significant upgrade. Tavon is just a player that we're stuck with for another year, I'm afraid.

Barnes is a bit similar in my mind. Just not good enough if one is serious about their OL. Perhaps a 4th rounder can upgrade that position. Another must have, if you ask me.

We agree that CB is very high, with or without TruJo staying.

Yeah, we need LB help, too.

I don't see the screaming need for DT that you do, myself.

My simple top 4 remaining needs to even hope to be playoff worthy?

WR
C
CB
LB

Probably doable via draft now after a nice first day of FA. Brilliant, in the case of Whitworth.

If Tru is traded, should be absolutely no problem to achieve all. Even if we accept a mere 3rd in trade.

Fingers crossed, man.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Tim Barnes released by Rams.

JennaLaine @JennaLaineESPN

Per his agent, the Rams are releasing starting center Tim Barnes.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

I'm fine with DT...They can only carry so many...Maybe I'm confused or missing the point but Donald, Brockers and Easley are a pretty good situation to be in imo...

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Bills fans want Zay Jones at #10 in the first round... WTF... SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

Get off my lawn, Bills Fans!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Tim Barnes released by Rams.

JennaLaine @JennaLaineESPN

Per his agent, the Rams are releasing starting center Tim Barnes.

Wow, who do they have their eyes on ??? i sure didn't see that coming...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In wade Phillips defense we need a fs right now we don't have one. This draft is going to have some excellent true FS I think we need to go there in the 2nd round

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Or maybe they put Joyner at free safety. Yes, that means that cornerback would be an issue, but this draft is literally loaded with good corners.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

If they trade Tru we are going to need two corners, assuming Joyner is still nickel. It isn't easy restacking both starting corners in one draft, although granted if you wanted to do it this is the year for it.

I'm good with them moving Tru of course. But suspect things will turn out better for us if they don't. Losing him next year to FA doesn't concern me too much, simply because I expect him to have his finest season for us under Wade. He might not be worth that contract, but he should help us win next year and that matters too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Phillips seems to value cornerbacks most in his defense, press cover corners. That is what the Rams are lacking. Williams played a lot of Cover 2 and like to play zone. Maybe it is because Trumaine and EJ are more zone corners.

It's likely that in the coming years the Rams will have an entirely new defensive backfield. So you could almost put corner down as a need in three spots.

This draft would be a great one to get a stud corner for one spot anyway. With so many needs it is obvious the rebuild is going to take a few years.

The way I see it the main needs are, not in order:

OLB
CBx3
FS

WR1
TE
C

That's 8 positions, not counting future turnover. They can't fill all of that in one off-season or one draft. This thing won't be done for three years IMO, mostly due to the defensive backfield needs.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'd like to see Tru traded and somehow net us a second round pick. With the extra money I would target great veteran leaders at positions of need who have a little left in the tank.

Julius Peppers, Nick Mangold, and CB Webster, would be pretty amazing. Head into the draft with the idea of grabbing a starting CB and/or OL (Lamp jic anyone was curious lol) and a center. Elfein would be my choice in round three or with our second 2nd round pick from Tru trade.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd like to see Tru traded and somehow net us a second round pick. With the extra money I would target great veteran leaders at positions of need who have a little left in the tank.

Julius Peppers, Nick Mangold, and CB Webster, would be pretty amazing. Head into the draft with the idea of grabbing a starting CB and/or OL (Lamp jic anyone was curious lol) and a center. Elfein would be my choice in round three or with our second 2nd round pick from Tru trade.

Guess i'm a lot greedier. I want Cleveland's overall # 33 & # 65 plus Gordon for both Tru & Barron. TruJo is easily worth a 2'nd and Barron is worth a 3'rd plus whatever little value Gordon has. Just to be friendly i'll throw in our # 141 pick in the 4'th. The Rams need picks and we need another competitive veteran receiver, even if he hasn't touched a football in a few years. We also need the CAP savings if the Rams are to fill out those holes in our depth chart enough to be competitive in 2017. I don't want to take the slow road offering up an 8-8 season, like I said, i'm greedy and want to compete now, while the iron is hot. Get rid of our old culture of losing and let our new coaching staff get their required pieces in place now, ... tomorrow is for losers. jmo.