Rams 2015 Starting QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
After yesterday's game I just don't think it is going to be Davis or Hill. So, I am guessing it is either going to be Bradford if he is healthy and takes a pay cut (This is my 1st option!) or a Draft Pick (Hundley?), a FA or a QB acquired by trade. Personally, I hope it is Sam Bradford but I hope the Rams also draft a QB (Hundley or whoever) who will be capable of taking over the QB position for the team just in case Bradford gets hurt again. I honestly think with better QB play the Rams will be in the playoffs next season!

Athos

Legend
Bradford and a draft pick and another VET QB. Who knows who that would be right now.

Like others have said, this team, sans QB, is at least on par with every other unit out there in the playoff hunt. QB is a huge thing. As we can all clearly see.

And as others have said, our window for the reconstruction of Fisher and Snead has a time duration. Not every player is going to want to stick with a perpetual loser. It really has become a WIN NOW or slide back into even greater mediocrity again.

Gotta go for broke on a QB imo. That's the biggest blackhole on the team and the only one preventing us from becoming legitimate again outside of many 1 or 2 lineman from draft and FA.

I'm okay with Hundley in a stand pat in the 1st pick. I'd prefer an act of god to get Mariota.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I feel like we are in a good position next year at the QB position. We can draft the best available QB, monitor Bradford's progress, and snag a low value veteran.

We can afford to drop Hill and sign Davis to the practice squad. Overall though, I feel confident because we will be forced to have several layers to this onion this time.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Here is what I'd like to see happen.

Bradford back at a reduced rate.
Draft a QB in the first 3 rounds.
Sign a veteran to either compete or be the experienced backup
Bring Davis back for camp competition purposes

I really don't think Davis is anything more than a spot fill-in type backup. I don't think his skill set makes him a good backup for more than a game or two in the future.

Some veterans that I find interesting that are UFA...these guys all have some starting experience and/or some pedigree that makes me believe they could be a backup for more than just a game or 2....Matt Moore, Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, Colt McCoy. I'm not sure who will be available come the offseason, or who will be interested in being a backup or who thinks they can be a starter...but it's a start.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel like we are in a good position next year at the QB position. We can draft the best available QB, monitor Bradford's progress, and snag a low value veteran.

We can afford to drop Hill and sign Davis to the practice squad. Overall though, I feel confident because we will be forced to have several layers to this onion this time.

While I do like your plan and I hope the Rams can follow it I have to admit that I am not as optimistic as you about feeling like the Rams are in good shape in regards to their QB position for next season. 1) We have to hope that Bradford can stay healthy if the Rams do indeed retain him (And, I hope they do at the right price!); 2) We have to hope the Rams can draft the right quality QB (I am not sure I have a lot of confidence with the Rams choosing the right QB but I hope I am wrong and for some reason I am guessing the Rams will strongly consider Brett Hundley) and 3) Snagging a low value veteran should be pretty easy but snagging the right one for the Rams may not be as easy. But, I do like your plan and I do think if the Rams can get a healthy Sam Bradford or some QB that can give them quality/steady play/leadership at the QB position the Rams will be in the playoffs next season!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If there's two things we know about Fisher's drafting habits thus far:
1. He likes athletic freaks
2. He's not afraid of taking a chance on character concerns

With that said, both Mariota and Winston could be in his cross hairs. But what we need to do to nail it down is wait a couple more months. We need to see who comes out of the wood work during offseason work outs (ala Aaron Donald).

There's a helpful thread on the PD board that gets burried in all the troll posts that has "Hammer" listing all the games that our scouts attend. Keep an eye on that and we can gauge interest in a certain team's players. It's not a 100% certainty, but you can combine it with Senior Bowl and Combine interviews to get an idea how their board is shaping up.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think we should draft the best player available. If we really want a quarterback, and I'm sure we do, then I think we have to hold on for the one we want. Not a waste of a pick on Hundley this year, someone else next year ... and so on.

Wasting picks would just set us back and put us in the same position we've been in, and I'm tired of mediocrity.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'd like Sam back at a reduced salary/incentive-based contract (incentives for staying healthy) and a relatively high draft pick as a backup with an eye on him starting in the future. If he develops, we have a situation where we have our guy if Sam gets hurt again, or we have a situation where we have two QB's and can move one if Sam stays healthy.

I'm willing to consider a trade-up in the first round, but it depends what it will cost, because we still need help in the interior OL.

I also want a new OC. I just don't have confidence in BS to call a good game from start to finish. He has his good moments in many games, but he has too many brainfarts too, with yesterday being Exhibit A. I want someone that can be consistently good for 60 minutes, just like we expect of everybody else. I'm tired of BS getting a pass because or graded on a curve because he has some good playcalls in a game but not for the whole game. The coordinator on the other side of the ball seems to be held to a much higher standard, and yet he's had far more success as a DC than Schotty has ever had as an OC.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know its a very risky proposition to trade up in the first round but personally id give up the farm for Marcus Mariota I think he will be ELITE in the NFL but more importantly I think the Rams are in a good position to make this trade, I think we are good enough to the point where an elite qb would put us over the top.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
I know its a very risky proposition to trade up in the first round but personally id give up the farm for Marcus Mariota I think he will be ELITE in the NFL but more importantly I think the Rams are in a good position to make this trade, I think we are good enough to the point where an elite qb would put us over the top.
The rams roster has a lot of good players this year. With that being said Snead and Fisher can now focus on drafting quality over quantity which is why I think it did not bother them to give up a 4th and a 6th for Barron

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Possible options for the Rams at QB next season:

1. Bradford is back as starter
2. Hill or Davis is the starter
3. QB is drafted to be starter
4. QB is traded for to be starter
5. Sign a FA QB

1) Personally, I don't see how the Rams can go forward with the expectation of Bradford being the starting QB next year. The double ACL injury is just too much of a gamble and there is no guarantee that Sam will be healthy by the start of the season, if ever. 2) Hill or Davis, we've seen what they can do, and what they are is exactly what they were originally on the roster as, a couple of back-up quarterbacks capable of giving you a good start or two, but not consistent enough to be the long term answer. 3) To get one of the QB's that may be ready to start from day one, you're going to need to give up multiple high picks likely from multiple years. Raiders door will likely be open with the development of Carr for the #1 pick, the question becomes how much of your future are you willing to spend. 4) See 3, if a talented QB is available, it will cost, a lot and you're basically taking a flyer that the targeted QB is going to develop into something more than the back-up he already is. The Chiefs got Alex Smith for 2 2nd round picks. Smith isn't great, but, he is probably in the top half of NFL QB's. So, you're likely looking at giving up at least 2 2nd round picks to get a middle of the road QB 5) Hands down the easiest way to acquire a new QB, problem is, if you're obtaining a QB this way, there's a reason he's available. Odds of getting someone who is the long term answer are a long shot at best, the Drew Brees signings don't come along very often. It's a rare day that a starting caliber QB hits the FA market.

Bottom line is the Rams are in a tough spot for next season. No matter what direction they go, it's going to be a risk and/or require giving up multiple high picks. Most of the pieces are now in place for this to be a really good team for the next few seasons, all that's left is to find that elusive QB.

Schmitzer

UDFA
Don't move up again! If your QB isn't available in the draft, then you don't draft one - there are other options and multiple ways to improve this team

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the starting QB for 2015 has the Initials TD

And his middle name is B

A55VA6

Legend
It will be Bradford. Rams will draft a rookie high and have him just in case. Davis or Hill will be on the roster in the event something terrible happens.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If the Rams can get one of the two QB's that are really 1st round talent then that's plan A. That's not going to happen. So not even thinking about a pick that can start next year.
So.

Resign Bradford to a extension. Not even trying to cut his pay. His agent would have him signed with another team in a hour if the Rams try to cut him and resign. Savings are done in extension.

Draft a guy in 2nd or 3rd. that maybe can contribute the year after. Has to be right guy.

Signing or trading for a Vet. to provide support for when Bradford bites the turf.

Any active QB on the team now won't be back.

Boster the O Line so whoever is behind center can walk at end of the year.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Don't move up again! If your QB isn't available in the draft, then you don't draft one - there are other options and multiple ways to improve this team
Exactly what I keep trying to say. You have to take the best player available.

Now, I could see if there was a particular quarterback that everyone covets, but this team is obviously not ready to just drop Kaepernick 2.0 in and succeed.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Wouldn't mind having Davis as an emergency backup off the roster to call to in a week of need; I doubt teams will pick him up now that he's reached his ceiling. The Rams coaching staff may disagree with me but we ought to have three QBs in the roster next season: Bradford, Hill, and a high round rookie.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If the Rams can get one of the two QB's that are really 1st round talent then that's plan A. That's not going to happen. So not even thinking about a pick that can start next year.
So.

Resign Bradford to a extension. Not even trying to cut his pay. His agent would have him signed with another team in a hour if the Rams try to cut him and resign. Savings are done in extension.

Draft a guy in 2nd or 3rd. that maybe can contribute the year after. Has to be right guy.

Signing or trading for a Vet. to provide support for when Bradford bites the turf.

Any active QB on the team now won't be back.

Boster the O Line so whoever is behind center can walk at end of the year.
Only thing I'd change is replacing when with if on Bradford. Maybe optimistic but I'm thinking there is a very good chance he makes it through the season next year. But that doesn't change that I would do everything you suggested.