Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
You guys read that Dre Kirkpatrick got busted for pot? Maybe this will cause him to "fall" and could be a real trade down pick.

Yeah I heard that. Guess he had just under 8 grams and was high at the time of the arrest. Hurt his stock for sure. He might fall to the mid to late teens because of that.

Im hoping he might be stupid enough to test positive at the combine and falls to us at the top of the 2nd. Wishful thinking probably on my part, although if he was that stupid, to test positive again, Im not sure Id want him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:
You guys read that Dre Kirkpatrick got busted for pot? Maybe this will cause him to "fall" and could be a real trade down pick.

Yeah. What an idiot. Janoris Jenkins did the same thing while he was at Florida. Jenkins was a top-ten pick. Now he might not even be drafted.

To answer libertadrocks, if Kirkpatrick does the same thing at the Combine, I probably wouldn't want him, and he'll probably fall much further than the second round (see Adarius Bowman, Justin Houston, Christian Ballard, etc.)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
Can someone provide me with any sort of tape/game footage of Kalil this year? I've seen him play obviously, but it seems like there's nothing to bring up to re watch.

I've seen this btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5LtLt2P4w
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62GLzJBMsow[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUgA1n-Afe0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KACWjlXiCyU[/youtube]

Watch these. Tell us what you think.

I've seen him play his whole career on TV. I've personally seen him twice.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Nice. Thanks for posting.

I'd probably still have to see a little more from him from this recent season to develop an opinion. As of right now I still don't hold him or Blackmons value high enough to be worthy of a #2 overall. Slightly leaning toward Kalil if we end up staying there. With all of my heart, I really, really hope we don't. I have a feeling the RGIII hype is going to skyrocket after the combine. I think we might even see someone higher up than the Redskins trying to take a shot at him (by trading up).

bluecoconuts

Legend
Username said:

I'd probably still have to see a little more from him from this recent season to develop an opinion. As of right now I still don't hold him or Blackmons value high enough to be worthy of a #2 overall. Slightly leaning toward Kalil if we end up staying there. With all of my heart, I really, really hope we don't. I have a feeling the RGIII hype is going to skyrocket after the combine. I think we might even see someone higher up than the Redskins trying to take a shot at him (by trading up).

I hold Kalil worthy of the #2 pick, but I wouldn't complain about either him or Blackmon drafted.

My best case scenario is trade back with the Browns for the #4 spot and grab the pick they got from the Falcons. Then added with the #33rd pick, we can potentially grab 3 first round talents in the draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:

RG3 will run under 4.4 at the combine if he runs, which he will.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Username said:

Long time ago I was asked a question because I always did mock draft stuff. The question was: If I could draft a player like Blackmon or Kalil and he would be all pro say 6 years in his career would I be better off than trading for maybe four high picks which I got very good players but only one all pro type year.
I said I'd make the trade in a heart beat. But that was before 4 year FA and the salary cap.
Now I think I would take the one stand out player because he would be easier to retain long term. And with FA it's easier to plug holes.
So I would have to be knocked over to trade that pick if I believed either player could reach that level.

RGIII is very fast, he might get into the upper 4.3's but he is a long track like strider and has to slow down to make a cut. But if he catches a seam then he's gone before the backside help can get to him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:

Long time ago I was asked a question because I always did mock draft stuff. The question was: If I could draft a player like Blackmon or Kalil and he would be all pro say 6 years in his career would I be better off than trading for maybe four high picks which I got very good players but only one all pro type year.
I said I'd make the trade in a heart beat. But that was before 4 year FA and the salary cap.
Now I think I would take the one stand out player because he would be easier to retain long term. And with FA it's easier to plug holes.
So I would have to be knocked over to trade that pick if I believed either player could reach that level.

RGIII is very fast, he might get into the upper 4.3's but he is a long track like strider and has to slow down to make a cut. But if he catches a seam then he's gone before the backside help can get to him.

Exactly! I know when you have multiple holes in your roster it is tempting to try and plug as many as possible with serviceable bodies but that elite athlete is hard to get. You cannot coach up "elite". It is a gift. The question is who is truly elite in this upcoming draft? You think Luck, RG3, Kalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne are the 5 elite this time but 3 years ago, we thought Jason Smith was one of the elite. I guess it's always a gamble no matter who or where you pick and there's always a chance you stumble over a Jerry Rice in round 6. Then again, there's always a chance you pick an elite player that manages to squander his elite abilities through stupid decisions or injuries.

Are you suggesting the Rams pick RG3 by the way?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm not sure if he's been brought up because I don't want to read through 13 pages but if we take Kalil then what about Mohamed Sanu in the second. The dude can catch, is good after the catch, and is a former safety so he loves to punish people while run blocking. He's vicious. His route running needs a little work but that's what coaches are for.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Oxnard said:
I'm not sure if he's been brought up because I don't want to read through 13 pages but if we take Kalil then what about Mohamed Sanu in the second. The dude can catch, is good after the catch, and is a former safety so he loves to punish people while run blocking. He's vicious. His route running needs a little work but that's what coaches are for.

Sanu in the second would be nice. Its not often that 4 WRs are taken in the first round either so maybe Wright or Jeffery falls to us. Dwight Jones is another guy some scout are high on that could be a possibility.

Roto posted this comment earlier today:
The Rams led the NFL in sacks allowed in 2011, and during ex-coach Steve Spagnuolo's three-year tenure only two teams served up more.

Sam Bradford took 36 sacks in ten 2011 starts and was pressured on 35% of his drop backs, according to Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. In new coach Jeff Fisher's 16 seasons as Titans/Oilers head coach, his teams had the NFL's third-lowest sack rate. After Fisher spoke at his introductory press conference of emphasizing pass protection, we're led to believe the Rams will focus on offensive linemen early in free agency and/or the draft.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
Oxnard said:

Sanu in the second would be nice. Its not often that 4 WRs are taken in the first round either so maybe Wright or Jeffery falls to us. Dwight Jones is another guy some scout are high on that could be a possibility.

Roto posted this comment earlier today:
The Rams led the NFL in sacks allowed in 2011, and during ex-coach Steve Spagnuolo's three-year tenure only two teams served up more.

Sam Bradford took 36 sacks in ten 2011 starts and was pressured on 35% of his drop backs, according to Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. In new coach Jeff Fisher's 16 seasons as Titans/Oilers head coach, his teams had the NFL's third-lowest sack rate. After Fisher spoke at his introductory press conference of emphasizing pass protection, we're led to believe the Rams will focus on offensive linemen early in free agency and/or the draft.

I've wanted Blackmon from the start but once the Fisher hire took place, I believed that Kalil would be the pick because of one, the statements above, and two, Fisher being a USC guy. This complicates the trade down scenario because the Rams may be afraid the Vikings may take Kalil instead of Blackmon or Claiborne. Then again, there's the fact that Fisher led teams are not known for drafting the OL early in a draft and with the proper trade for the #2 overall pick, the Rams may feel they can still get an upgrade on the OL with a later second 1st round pick.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I like that approach as well. If a trade down with the Browns in fact happens I would say its Blackmon and ***Decastro at #21** I bet he's gone just like when SF took Willis and we got Carriker... Or maybe at #4 who knows and Kendall Wright is sitting there at 21. Ahhhhh something about Rams draft talk is like therapy from the concrete jungle in fact this entire site and contributors.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Wes Bunting's, from National Football Post, top 10 offensive prospects at the senior bowl:

With the NFP’s return from the East-West Shrine game Friday, we now turn our attention to the Senior Bowl and rank the top 10 prospects on the offensive side of the ball.

1. WR Kendall Wright: Baylor (5-10, 190)
In the same mold as a number of Pittsburgh Steelers receivers (Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders) and can be effective both inside and out making plays down the field at the next level.

2. OT Mike Adams: Ohio State (6-8, 320)
He's a talented kid with a big frame, long arms and natural movement skills. He can bend and if he can put it all together and continue to improve his footwork he could certainly mature into a starting caliber left tackle in the NFL.

3. OL Kelechi Osemele: Iowa State (6-6, 347)
A big, thick kid with natural strength, athleticism and flexibility. Has improved his technique and overall range off the edge, but is better suited to play inside or on the right side at the next level.

4. WR Dwight Jones: North Carolina (6-4, 225)
Really came into his own during the second half of the year in 2010 and has simply gotten better ever since. Runs well and can accelerate quickly for a big receiver, exhibiting natural fluidity to his game in the process. Needs to improve as a route runner, but talent is there for this guy to be a play making starting wide out in the NFL.

5. RB Doug Martin: Boise State (5-9, 215)
Martin isn't a dynamic size/speed back, but there aren't many negatives to his game as a back. He plays fast, runs low, is natural through the line of scrimmage and has a skill set somewhat similar to former Alabama RB Mark Ingram last year. He might fall a bit because he doesn't run overly well, but he has the skill set to start in the league.

6. QB Nick Foles: Arizona (6-5, 240)
A big, strong-armed passer who has the tools physically. Made some real strides as a quarterback as a senior without much talent around him. Is going to take some time, but is an potential starting caliber pocket passer.

7. OG Cordy Glenn: Georgia (6-5, 348)
A massive guard prospect who struggles with leverage in the run game. But can keep the pocket clean inside in pass protection because of his size/strength and natural athleticism. Moves well for his size and looks like a starter inside or at right tackle for a team who values bigger linemen.

8. QB Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 218)
His age will likely keep him from going as early in the draft as his talents deserve. But there isn't a throw this guy can't make and he has the skill set and mental make-up to mature into a potential starter with some time.

9. RB Chris Polk: Washington (5-11, 222)
Is a big kid with a good feel inside, runs hard and will break some tackles. However, pad level, initial burst and lack of great change of direction skills make me think he's an average NFL starter only.

10. OT Zebrie Sanders: Florida State (6-6, 307)
A natural athlete who can bend, is coordinated and patient into contact. Possesses a good amount of upside as well and looks like a starter on either side of the O-line.

It's the Browns that play the key in my scenario....

If we can get their 2 #1 picks...
I'd do this:

#4 - RB Trent Richardson
#22 - WR Kendall Wright or Sanu
then,
Round 2 -DT or OLB
Round 3 - OG/OT
Round 4 -DT
Round 6 - OC

I'm not as high on Khalil as most draftniks.
I think he's NOT a Pace, Jones and more a Joe Staley...who is slightly above avg. imo

Our OL has talent but needs some coaching.
In Bradford's rookie year with the same OL the Rams did much better w/protections. imo
And I think with a FA signing here or there, Smith/Brown restructuring, etc they could be decent again.

A FA DT would be a huge boost also (JasonJones?).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Wes Bunting's, from National Football Post, top 10 offensive prospects at the senior bowl:

With the NFP’s return from the East-West Shrine game Friday, we now turn our attention to the Senior Bowl and rank the top 10 prospects on the offensive side of the ball.

1. WR Kendall Wright: Baylor (5-10, 190)
In the same mold as a number of Pittsburgh Steelers receivers (Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders) and can be effective both inside and out making plays down the field at the next level.

2. OT Mike Adams: Ohio State (6-8, 320)
He's a talented kid with a big frame, long arms and natural movement skills. He can bend and if he can put it all together and continue to improve his footwork he could certainly mature into a starting caliber left tackle in the NFL.

3. OL Kelechi Osemele: Iowa State (6-6, 347)
A big, thick kid with natural strength, athleticism and flexibility. Has improved his technique and overall range off the edge, but is better suited to play inside or on the right side at the next level.

4. WR Dwight Jones: North Carolina (6-4, 225)
Really came into his own during the second half of the year in 2010 and has simply gotten better ever since. Runs well and can accelerate quickly for a big receiver, exhibiting natural fluidity to his game in the process. Needs to improve as a route runner, but talent is there for this guy to be a play making starting wide out in the NFL.

5. RB Doug Martin: Boise State (5-9, 215)
Martin isn't a dynamic size/speed back, but there aren't many negatives to his game as a back. He plays fast, runs low, is natural through the line of scrimmage and has a skill set somewhat similar to former Alabama RB Mark Ingram last year. He might fall a bit because he doesn't run overly well, but he has the skill set to start in the league.

6. QB Nick Foles: Arizona (6-5, 240)
A big, strong-armed passer who has the tools physically. Made some real strides as a quarterback as a senior without much talent around him. Is going to take some time, but is an potential starting caliber pocket passer.

7. OG Cordy Glenn: Georgia (6-5, 348)
A massive guard prospect who struggles with leverage in the run game. But can keep the pocket clean inside in pass protection because of his size/strength and natural athleticism. Moves well for his size and looks like a starter inside or at right tackle for a team who values bigger linemen.

8. QB Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 218)
His age will likely keep him from going as early in the draft as his talents deserve. But there isn't a throw this guy can't make and he has the skill set and mental make-up to mature into a potential starter with some time.

9. RB Chris Polk: Washington (5-11, 222)
Is a big kid with a good feel inside, runs hard and will break some tackles. However, pad level, initial burst and lack of great change of direction skills make me think he's an average NFL starter only.

10. OT Zebrie Sanders: Florida State (6-6, 307)
A natural athlete who can bend, is coordinated and patient into contact. Possesses a good amount of upside as well and looks like a starter on either side of the O-line.
Looking forward to seeing all of these offensive lineman. I've seen lots of Polk and Foles already...good players. I really want to see Kendall Wright out of that bubble screen offense. He is super fast and quick, some have him rated higher than Blackmon.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Dolphin's hired the Packers OC Philbin as their next HC.

Some talking heads believes this move hurts us. They believe that Matt Flynn is likely going to sign there this off-season, thus there is one less potential suitor for our first round pick. Pretty much narrowing it down to 2. Washington and Cleveland.

I think this helps tho. I think the real threat to finding a trade partner was Matt Flynn signing in Cleveland or Washington. I never really viewed the Dolphins as serious bidders to move up to #2.

What do yall think?

bluecoconuts

Legend
libertadrocks said:

Some talking heads believes this move hurts us. They believe that Matt Flynn is likely going to sign there this off-season, thus there is one less potential suitor for our first round pick. Pretty much narrowing it down to 2. Washington and Cleveland.

I think this helps tho. I think the real threat to finding a trade partner was Matt Flynn signing in Cleveland or Washington. I never really viewed the Dolphins as serious bidders to move up to #2.

What do yall think?

Personally I think the Phins are a little too far low for my taste anyway. I'm hoping for the Browns.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:

What do yall think?

This move hurts the FA QB market. If Philbin doesnt accept a HC job elsewhere then QB needy teams could look at it as an even playing field for Flynn. Now the Dolphins are clearly the favorites to land him. You could say that this makes the Browns and Redskins even more desperate for a franchise QB in the draft.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Mayocks Top 5 By Position(Defense):

DTs
1) Devon Still
2) Jerel Worthy
3) Michael Brockers
4) Brandon Thompson
5(tie) Fletcher Cox & Dontari Poe.

DE
1) Quinton Coples
2) Melvin Ingram