Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
brokeu91 said:
bluecoconuts said:
Dropping in the 10-15 spot shouldn't be hard to do.
But is it the right thing to do?

To me there are six elite-type prospects: Luck, Kalil, RGIII, Richardson, Claiborne, and Blackmon. If the Rams trade down, I'd want them to stay in the top 6 (either Washington or the Browns) and pick-up one of those guys. Other than WR and OT, the other really big needs are DT and OLB. I wouldn't drop down there unless they felt an elite type of DT/OLB was available there.

I agree wholeheartedly. You get the feeling that this team needs to draft an elite player. I fully understand the perception of trading down, gaining more picks, rebuilding this team with a quantity of solid players, but I think you need to get those young elite players as well and they are harder to get down the draft board.

The Rams need to be awful greedy with that 2nd overall pick. I mean getting 3 or 4 additional picks for moving down. I'm not sure the Browns, Redskins, or Dolphins would be willing to give up that much to move up a little but another dance partner deeper in the round may emerge but do you drop down any further and still get an elite guy? I don't think so.

I'm ready for a sexy pick so I don't want to trade down any further than say with the Browns or Redskins.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You know, with the Colts planning on drafting Luck (or so it seems), what's to keep ANY team from believing that the Rams wouldn't be willing to draft RGIII with their pick? Bradford's contract isn't as big as Manning's, and the Colts are willing to tie that much money up at QB. So why not the Rams? That's pretty much all the incentive any team needs to throw out a ridiculous trade offer to the Rams for the #2 pick.

Somebody needs to leak that the Rams are taking a hard look at Griffin - starting right about now.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
You know, with the Colts planning on drafting Luck (or so it seems), what's to keep ANY team from believing that the Rams wouldn't be willing to draft RGIII with their pick? Bradford's contract isn't as big as Manning's, and the Colts are willing to tie that much money up at QB. So why not the Rams? That's pretty much all the incentive any team needs to throw out a ridiculous trade offer to the Rams for the #2 pick.

Somebody needs to leak that the Rams are taking a hard look at Griffin - starting right about now.

I dont even think we have to do that. Teams like the Browns, Redskins, and Dolphins immediately became more desperate for a franchise QB the moment Barkley returned to school, and now Ryan Tannehill is injured and will miss the Senior Bowl and maybe the combine. Its Luck and RG III at the top, and then a big dropoff to the next QBs in the draft. We could float out rumors saying we are in serious trade talks with Dolphins or Redskins, and that could make the Browns freak out lol. Chaos.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:
X said:

I dont even think we have to do that. Teams like the Browns, Redskins, and Dolphins immediately became more desperate for a franchise QB the moment Barkley returned to school, and now Ryan Tannehill is injured and will miss the Senior Bowl and maybe the combine. Its Luck and RG III at the top, and then a big dropoff to the next QBs in the draft. We could float out rumors saying we are in serious trade talks with Dolphins or Redskins, and that could make the Browns freak out lol. Chaos.

Exactly. No one will believe we are considering taking RG3 when we have Bradford, so the next best thing is create a bidding war. The Browns, Redskins, Dolphins, KC, and potentially Jax(Gabert really struggled) all need franchise QBs.

The Browns will undoubtedly take him if he makes it to 4 and the Colts are locked in on Luck with the number 1 overall. That leaves us and the Vikings as potential trade partners. The Vikings need Kalil so they will be hesitant to move down, and know theres a chance Kalil wont reach them if we dont trade out of the #2 slot. So thats 5 or 6 potential suitors for our pick. There has never been a more opportune time to trade picks.

First pick of day 2 will likely be coveted too.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:
X said:

Exactly. No one will believe we are considering taking RG3 when we have Bradford, so the next best thing is create a bidding war. The Browns, Redskins, Dolphins, KC, and potentially Jax(Gabert really struggled) all need franchise QBs.

The Browns will undoubtedly take him if he makes it to 4 and the Colts are locked in on Luck with the number 1 overall. That leaves us and the Vikings as potential trade partners. The Vikings need Kalil so they will be hesitant to move down, and know theres a chance Kalil wont reach them if we dont trade out of the #2 slot. So thats 5 or 6 potential suitors for our pick. There has never been a more opportune time to trade picks.

Absolutely, the first pick of day 2 is another opportunity to garner more picks. How may extra picks would the Rams get if trading both of their first two picks? 5, 6, more? This is going to be interesting!

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:
X said:

And those teams that need a QB are gonna look at us as the best trade partners. They arent worried about us or the vikings strongly considering RG III. Its about getting a jump on the other teams with the same need. They all are gonna love RG III when the combine rolls around.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Here's to RG3 having an amazing combine and to the Rams calling him in for a workout. :ww: :ww:

paceram

Pro Bowler
Even if teams know the Rams and Vikings aren't interested in drafting a QB (RGIII) I would think a team would be very cautious about trading with another team picking lower with the possibility another team could end up trading up with the Rams or Vikings and then they just got burned in their trade. I would think it would make more sense to trade with the Rams so they know they can get the player they are after! I think it is all going to depend on how bad teams want Griffin (hopefully, a lot!)!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
paceram said:
Even if teams know the Rams and Vikings aren't interested in drafting a QB (RGIII) I would think a team would be very cautious about trading with another team picking lower with the possibility another team could end up trading up with the Rams or Vikings and then they just got burned in their trade. I would think it would make more sense to trade with the Rams so they know they can get the player they are after! I think it is all going to depend on how bad teams want Griffin (hopefully, a lot!)!

Agreed, a strong possibility teams like Browns or Redskins could get antsy and pull the trigger on a trade with Rams to beat other teams to the punch. I think once the Colts indeed take Luck, the Rams' phone will start ringing off the hook.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:

I don't even think that we need to do that. The Vikings probably won't take him either, unless they totally hate Ponder, which I hear they don't, in fact he played well at times, before struggling with injuries, and they have Joe Webb--RGIII light.

My point is that at #4 the Browns are said to be a lock to draft RGIII, now I don't know if that's true, but I do know that at least 4 other teams may be willing to go for RGIII. So, why would they just negotiate with the Vikes, when their competitors could negotiate with the team above them on the draft board. The Rams are the best team to negotiate with, because they DON'T want RGIII.

That's how I see it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
X said:

I don't even think that we need to do that. The Vikings probably won't take him either, unless they totally hate Ponder, which I hear they don't, in fact he played well at times, before struggling with injuries, and they have Joe Webb--RGIII light.

My point is that at #4 the Browns are said to be a lock to draft RGIII, now I don't know if that's true, but I do know that at least 4 other teams may be willing to go for RGIII. So, why would they just negotiate with the Vikes, when their competitors could negotiate with the team above them on the draft board. The Rams are the best team to negotiate with, because they DON'T want RGIII.

That's how I see it.

True. This thing could play out several different ways. The Rams need to hire a really savvy GM because there may be many offers at the last minute in this draft in both the 1st and 2nd rounds for the Rams. Good thing is if the Rams miss the boat on a good trade, they still pick studs with the original picks.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
DR RAM said:
X said:

That's how I see it.
That makes perfect sense to me, too. That was the reason Devaney didn't trade the #1 with Holmgren in 2010 because he wanted Bradford. You think teams would have much luck trying to trade with Holmgren if he wants RG3 as much as Devaney wanted Bradford?

In fact, I don't think it really matters who we want, just what the trade partners want. It'll be a seller's market so long as RG3 does as good at the combine as draftniks think he will.

For the moment, the Rams' choices are wide open, which means teams that want to leap over Cleveland don't have to talk us out of Kalil, Blackmon or whoever might be our pick at #2.

Anonymous

libertadrocks said:

It's just really very simple. All teams have to believe is that the Rams will trade the pick.

If teams believe the Rams will trade the #2, then, they have to worry about other teams outbidding them.

Plus. In order to believe the Rams will trade the #2 all they have know is that the Rams are not in desperate need of any player likely to go in the top 5.

And that's true. The Rams AREN'T in desperate need of any player likely to go in the top 5.

Blackmon and Kalil are neither so compelling that they trump the value of extra picks.

This isn't Pace or Calvin Johnson we're talking about.

Heck for that matter if it were me I would KEEP trading down.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
zn said:
libertadrocks said:

It's just really very simple. All teams have to believe is that the Rams will trade the pick.

If teams believe the Rams will trade the #2, then, they have to worry about other teams outbidding them.

Plus. In order to believe the Rams will trade the #2 all they have know is that the Rams are not in desperate need of any player likely to go in the top 5.

And that's true. The Rams AREN'T in desperate need of any player likely to go in the top 5.

Blackmon and Kalil are neither so compelling that they trump the value of extra picks.

While Kalil is no Pace, he certainly isnt far off. IMO probably the second best OT prospect, after Joe Thomas, since Pace. We have to show strong interest in Kalil to beef up our leverage in a trade.

Blackmon isnt in the same league as Megatron. Not AJ Green's and Julio Jones' league either.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:
zn said:
libertadrocks said:

While Kalil is no Pace, he certainly isnt far off. IMO probably the second best OT prospect, after Joe Thomas, since Pace. We have to show strong interest in Kalil to beef up our leverage in a trade.

Blackmon isnt in the same league as Megatron. Not AJ Green's and Julio Jones' league either.

Agreed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
libertadrocks said:

I thought I made that clear, maybe not.

Nobody needs to know that. Why would they care? They are going after something that they can't live without, they can't risk losing it. That would be Kalil, or RG3, and nobody else in this draft, if Luck is already gone.

Yes, Kalil is that good, and he is head and shoulders above Reiff. As far as Blackmon is concerned, nobody knows what kind of player he will be, but he has excelled at every opportunity given to him. I think he will be a very good receiver, and right away.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It is my believe (for whatever that's worth) that the Brownies will not attempt to move. The Vikes have already made it abundantly clear that Ponder is their guy, and will accept either Blackmon or Kalil gladly. That puts the onus on Miami or Washington.

I can even envision a world where IF someone takes our #2 Minnesota snags Kalil and the Browns happily take Blackmon. They're still rebuilding and WR is just as big of a need for them as anything else. They could sit back and take Tannehill later in the draft and watch to see how Colt plays while the other guy mends.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You guys read that Dre Kirkpatrick got busted for pot? Maybe this will cause him to "fall" and could be a real trade down pick.