Rams 2012 Free Agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

steferfootball

Starter
libertadrocks said:
Why hasnt there been much interest in Mike Wallace?

Citing a league source, the Sacramento Bee reports that restricted free agent Mike Wallace is searching for a long-term contract in excess of the eight-year, $120 million deal signed by Larry Fitzgerald last August.

The Bee's Matt Barrows has been tracking the situation because the team he covers -- the 49ers -- made an inquiry about signing Wallace to an offer sheet. It's not happening if he insists on becoming one of the top three highest paid receivers in football. (Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald are Nos. 1 and 2.) Wallace may still leave Pittsburgh if his asking price comes down, but the Steelers couldn't lock him up long term, either, on that lofty of a demand.

So some team would have to give up their first round pick AND overpay the guy. He's a number 1 WR but not an elite WR IMO. He isnt worth anywhere close to what he is asking for
Yeah, that is bad. Can't fork up that much for a guy who isn't top 5 at his position. Really you'd have to be Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald to consider doing that for.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
steferfootball said:
libertadrocks said:
Why hasnt there been much interest in Mike Wallace?

Citing a league source, the Sacramento Bee reports that restricted free agent Mike Wallace is searching for a long-term contract in excess of the eight-year, $120 million deal signed by Larry Fitzgerald last August.

The Bee's Matt Barrows has been tracking the situation because the team he covers -- the 49ers -- made an inquiry about signing Wallace to an offer sheet. It's not happening if he insists on becoming one of the top three highest paid receivers in football. (Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald are Nos. 1 and 2.) Wallace may still leave Pittsburgh if his asking price comes down, but the Steelers couldn't lock him up long term, either, on that lofty of a demand.

So some team would have to give up their first round pick AND overpay the guy. He's a number 1 WR but not an elite WR IMO. He isnt worth anywhere close to what he is asking for
Yeah, that is bad. Can't fork up that much for a guy who isn't top 5 at his position. Really you'd have to be Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald to consider doing that for.

I can't see how THIS team could fork over that kind of money on any one player PERIOD. Especially someone that may very well enjoy success as a result of the players around him not the other way around as in a Fitzgerald.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
According to JT Chilo Rachal is in for a visit today. Started for the 49ers prior to last year and looked very promising. Still young. Would be a nice signing to fill the hole at LG IMO

Edit: Wanted to add this: Rachal was Pro Football Focus' top run-blocking guard in 2010

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
According to JT Chilo Rachal is in for a visit today. Started for the 49ers prior to last year and looked very promising. Still young. Would be a nice signing to fill the hole at LG IMO

Edit: Wanted to add this: Rachal was Pro Football Focus' top run-blocking guard in 2010

Sounds like he could be had for a favorable price. What happened to him last year?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:

Sounds like he could be had for a favorable price. What happened to him last year?

"Benched for poor play". He had an awful first half against the Bengals last year. He gave up a couple sacks and committed a couple penalties.

His knock has always been in pass protection. Im not going to sugar coat it... he's not good. However he is dominant in the run game. He still played in the 49ers heavy sets after he was benched.

Worst case scenario he is a guy we can plug into our heavy sets. He should be relatively cheap. Best case he becomes competent in pass pro, he's still 26, and we have one heck of a OG. Signing him would also give us some freedom. We are kinda backed into a corner now because we have no one to play LG.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We gave up on Bell? Isn't he still on roster?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
JT:
"Second wave" of free agency well underway at Rams Park. Jets OG Robert Turner and Colts OT Quinn Ojinnaka also visiting team.

Quinn Ojinnaka was with us last year early.

While Turner is not a regular starter, his injury leaves a substantial hole in the Jets’ offensive line, which was under scrutiny after the Texans recorded seven sacks Monday. Turner started at center Monday in place of Nick Mangold (who did not make the trip after suffering a stinger), but Turner’s ability to move around is among his most valuable attributes; he has been used at guard and, occasionally, on defense and special teams, too.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
We signed Quinn Ojinnaka. Pretty quick considering our interest in him was only acknowledged 5 minutes ago

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good. I liked Quinn Ojinn last year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
We signed Quinn Ojinnaka. Pretty quick considering our interest in him was only acknowledged 5 minutes ago

OK, there's a piece.

Now, let's go get the best OLB available. Who is that?

Jo Lonn Dunbar?

Erin Henderson?

Someone else?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:

I was shocked when he was cut over others....

I saw him play on a Monday night game last year and he played RT, he was outstanding that night under heavy fire.

Quinn is very versatile, probably not signed as a starter, but I could be wrong (rarely happens, LOL). Rams threw him in at center in a preseason game and he had never played there, he did well. He's not overpowering, but he's smart, and quick, and pretty athletic. I like the signing, I think he will be on the active roster, our last years Goldberg if you will.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:

I was shocked when he was cut over others....

I saw him play on a Monday night game last year and he played RT, he was outstanding that night under heavy fire.

Quinn is very versatile, probably not signed as a starter, but I could be wrong (rarely happens, LOL). Rams threw him in at center in a preseason game and he had never played there, he did well. He's not overpowering, but he's smart, and quick, and pretty athletic. I like the signing, I think he will be on the active roster, our last years Goldberg if you will.
My sentiments exactly. I sure as hell didn't see him as a liability the few times I saw him play.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Rams have reportedly shown interest in a semi-big name. Marion Barber. Would be the back up RB of course. Not real thrilled about the potential of bringing him in. He doesnt bring anything to the table that we dont already have in SJ.

Roto:
Bears RB Marion Barber, expected to be released, is reportedly drawing interest from the Rams and Eagles.

Barber would be purely a backup for either team, replacing Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown respectively. He won't be guaranteed to make a roster this summer after averaging a paltry 3.5 yards per carry over the past two seasons.

Would rather see us grab a scat back. FA market is pretty thin in that area tho(Except T. Choice who I dont care much for). Kevin Smith may be a nice flyer. Heck Id rather see us sign a LT, who is at least a nice 3rd down back.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I guess Marion Barber has decided to retire rather than test FA after his impending release became certain. So scratch what I said earlier today

steferfootball

Starter
Barber is probably making the right decision. Though only 28, he is past his prime. Quit while your ahead, and look forward to a life without degenerative bone/joint problems. If he manages his money well, he probably has enough to live well.

steferfootball

Starter
Quinn (I'm not even gonna bother with his last name) can play in the league. He has played in 56 games and started 15. I thought he was a young undrafted FA, so that was shocking to me. I hope he contributes. I'd kinda like an upgrade from Smith.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
JT:
Fullback Brit Miller re-signs with Rams

Colts announce they have agreed to terms with former Rams wide receiver _ and 2nd-round pick _ free agent Donnie Avery.

The #Saints and WLB Chris Chamberlain agreed to a three-year deal, a source confirmed

Rams still talking to Saints free-agent LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar, who visited Rams earlier this week. Dunbar is more of a strongside/middle LB.

Would have like to keep Chambo but I always had a feeling he'd follow Spags. Good to see Miller back and that we are still talking to Dunbar.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes! Chubby domination ftw! I like me some Brit Miller. :twisted:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I would say I really want Dunbar signed but I said that about Jones and Winston and Manningham so..... I'll refrain.