Rams 2012 Free Agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:
All the big guys are either signed or resigned (w/ the exception of Peyton Manning and to a lesser extent Flynn).

The rest of these guys are just good players that have their options open...

Winston, Livings, Wharton, Jones, Smith, etc. Not exactly "must have at all costs!!" type guys. I do want Winston the most tho. If he signs, I bet things don't look to good for Jason Smith.

I wonder what the FO and coaching staff has planned for Jason Smith.

You'd think if they were going to release him they would have already done so out of courtesy. Of course maybe they're holding back tho because there are already 2 holes along the OL and they dont want to be brash and create a 3rd.

They could have also decided to keep him and move him to OG.

I love the way the FO is handling the search for new OLinemen. They arent going after the big name/high priced guys like the previous FO did. Instead theyre seeking out proven/solid pieces.

I would think they are waiting to see who they can sign then tell Smith he will have to rework his cotract to become a G or Utility guy on the line or hit the road.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
bluecoconuts said:
We need to start getting some ink on paper with these guys visiting, I like who I see for most of them, now we just need to sign them.

I feel ya. This period of inactivity in signing anybody is driving me crazy. I know it is only day 4 of FA but I fear losing Jason Jones and Eric Winston as well as Wells to other teams. I'm really not excited about anyone else.

What's the deal with the DT from Miami, Langford I think is his name. Is he a run stuffer?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ramhusker said:
bluecoconuts said:
We need to start getting some ink on paper with these guys visiting, I like who I see for most of them, now we just need to sign them.

I feel ya. This period of inactivity in signing anybody is driving me crazy. I know it is only day 4 of FA but I fear losing Jason Jones and Eric Winston as well as Wells to other teams. I'm really not excited about anyone else.

What's the deal with the DT from Miami, Langford I think is his name. Is he a run stuffer?

Langford's one of the best 3-4 ends in the NFL. Every team that runs that system would love to have him. I don't think he's a fit for the 4-3, though. Of course, I was wrong about guys like Dumervil, Hali, Mario Williams, and Richard Seymour, so I might be wrong about Langford as well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Kamerion Wimbley just got cut from Oakland. Solid OLB, and the Rams are OLB needy. He's already going to get paid $6.5M from Oakland, even though he was cut, so it probably wouldn't break the bank to sign him up. 16 sacks in two seasons. Big hitter, classy guy.

Thoughts?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
Kamerion Wimbley just got cut from Oakland. Solid OLB, and the Rams are OLB needy. He's already going to get paid $6.5M from Oakland, even though he was cut, so it probably wouldn't break the bank to sign him up. 16 sacks in two seasons. Big hitter, classy guy.

Thoughts?

I'm all in! 6.5Mil? WOW! Why did they cut him then? Isn't that going against their cap?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
X said:

Thoughts?

I'm all in! 6.5Mil? WOW! Why did they cut him then? Isn't that going against their cap?
He signed a five-year, $48 million contract in August 2011, and was scheduled to make a base salary of $11M this year. They cut him loose and saved $4.5M against the cap, even though they're paying him $6.5M in guaranteed $$$.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:
All the big guys are either signed or resigned (w/ the exception of Peyton Manning and to a lesser extent Flynn).

The rest of these guys are just good players that have their options open...

Winston, Livings, Wharton, Jones, Smith, etc. Not exactly "must have at all costs!!" type guys. I do want Winston the most tho. If he signs, I bet things don't look to good for Jason Smith.

I wonder what the FO and coaching staff has planned for Jason Smith.

You'd think if they were going to release him they would have already done so out of courtesy. Of course maybe they're holding back tho because there are already 2 holes along the OL and they dont want to be brash and create a 3rd.

They could have also decided to keep him and move him to OG.

I love the way the FO is handling the search for new OLinemen. They arent going after the big name/high priced guys like the previous FO did. Instead theyre seeking out proven/solid pieces.

Yeah, they probably are gonna give him a shot in camp. Same w/ Bradley Fletcher. He must be on course otherwise would've been long gone.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Correction.

Joel Corry ‏ @corryjoel
@caplannfl Wimbley release saves Raiders $8.45 mil on the cap. He counts at $3.4 mil due to signing bonus proration accelerating into '12.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:

Thoughts?

Isnt he mostly just a pass rusher?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... ee-agency/

« Free Agency Day 4: 5 Questions, 5 Analysts (03/17/12)
Observations from Week 1 of Free Agency
March 17th, 2012 | Author: Sam Monson
Some teams really don’t get how free agency works. In theory, free agency can be an invaluable opportunity to improve your roster with a careful selection of the right players at the right price in March. Unfortunately, it can also be the perfect way to cripple your franchise by throwing wasted money at players that will never justify the contract.

Teams always like to try and build through the draft (with a couple of notable exceptions), but the real differentiator in the NFL is how badly teams can manage to screw up in free agency.

With that in mind, here are some thoughts from this first week of the madness.

1) The Redskins are taking baby steps.

I can’t say I’m wild on most of the moves that Washington has made, and as you would expect, they have overspent with reckless abandon, but I can at least see what they’re trying to do this season. This time the Redskins at least seem to have some kind of game plan, rather than just a shopping list for Daniel Snyder’s real-life game of fantasy football. That is progress.

They’ve made a point to target younger players that they think can help them going forward. Having just orchestrated a blockbuster trade to snag Robert Griffin III in the draft, they’re going to try and surround him with young talent and build a team that can compete long-term. That’s an attitude to admire; the only problem is the players they’re actually targeting. Pierre Garcon has talent, but he’s never really looked like a player that’s waiting to break out in the right opportunity, and that is an awful lot of money to commit to him. On the other side of the ball, Brandon Meriweather has always been more underachiever than production, and I can’t really see that move working out either.

The important thing though is not that they’re overspending for questionable talent, it’s the fact that for the first time in a while they’re working from a coherent, and frankly, sensible plan of attack. That bodes well long-term for Redskins fans.

2) A.J. Smith and Norv Turner really are quite competent.

It seems an almost annual witch-hunt to rid the Chargers of Smith and Turner, and while both guys are flawed, they really are both extremely competent at what they do. Smith can be an amazingly stubborn force that occasionally comes back around to bite the chargers, and Norv has his issues on game day, but the pair combines to maintain the Chargers roster at an extremely high level of talent and their performance year on year pretty good.

This season they went into free agency prepared to lose Vincent Jackson, arguably their biggest weapon over the past few seasons, but they also recognized that the biggest problem facing them was the O-line, not Jackson’s potential loss. Last season the injury to Marcus McNeal was a disaster for Philip Rivers and the Chargers, but the serendipitous signing of Jared Gaither revived the season. The Chargers locked Gaither down to a long-term deal and secured center Nick Hardwick as well, ensuring that Rivers can at least relax a little in the pocket, rather than mentally counting the seconds to the impending blind side shot coming at him when he drops back to pass.

Adding Robert Meachem at a reasonable price to add to their receiving corps was another fine move and Atari Bigby is a guy who can give them some stable play next to Eric Weddle in the secondary. He essentially replaces Bob Sanders, who was brought in last off-season but rather predictably shattered into small pieces a short while into the season. Bigby doesn’t have the talent of Sanders, but he should prove far less brittle.

3) The schematic balance in the NFL continues to shift.

One of the dynamics that is always interesting to watch in free agency is where teams assign their money – a reflection of what positions they deem to be the most valuable.

This off-season cornerbacks are raking in big money, but the shift in value seems to have come at the cost of linebackers, who are once again experiencing a slow market. Last off-season several high profile and talented players saw a complete lack of interest and ended up signing on for cheap, short contracts in the hope that they could try again down the road. At the time some of this was put down to the chaotic and truncated nature of post-lockout free agency, but now it looks more like the league has begun to value smaller defensive backs who can play the pass over linebackers, many of whom are now rendered two-down players by the ever expanding passing game. Nickel corners and two-down linebackers will play a similar number of snaps in today’s NFL, but teams seem to believe they can plug the gap left by a two-down linebacker easier than they can that of a defensive back.

The knock-on effect seems to have hit the entire linebacker market though, with teams waiting for somebody to make the first move to set the market for even accomplished three-down linebackers. The NFL has shifted towards smaller, faster players that can play the pass, and right now everybody is waiting for somebody to reset the market on linebackers.

4) Some teams evidently don’t watch tape

The Vikings signed John Carlson to a healthy contract worth around $5m a season. It’s a five-year contract that can be dumped after two seasons, but regardless, the only way you could decide that is good value is if the last bit of John Carlson tape you watched featured a golden dome and Touchdown Jesus. Carlson has been a poor blocker for as long as he has been a pro, and even when he was racking up catches it was through sheer weight of targets more than impressive play. He has at best been an above average receiver, and only then for a short period of time. This is a move that seems speculative at best, blindfolded dart-throwing at worst.

Minnesota wasn’t the only team making personnel moves by using the force, the Arizona Cardinals re-signed Levi Brown, and added RG Adam Snyder for five years apiece. Levi Brown has been a consistent disaster for as long as he was in Arizona (bar the final seven games of his season in 2011 where he presumably figured a glimpse of legitimate play would be enough to earn him another payday – correctly as it turns out. Snyder has been a poor linemen in multiple positions for the 49ers, and given he came from the same division, you’d think the Cardinals really should have known better. Even a cursory examination of some game tape would tell you that you would struggle to form a poorer right side of an offensive line, but the Cardinals appear to have done it anyway.

Given the millions of dollars at stake teams should be doing better than that.

5) Quarterback Dominos

The NFL is starved for quality quarterback play. The quarterback was already the hardest position in sports to play, and its importance is only increasing. Eli Manning amongst others has proven that there are few issues in a team that great quarterback play cannot overcome. That’s why a full dozen teams reportedly enquired about Peyton Manning after he was released by the Colts.

The Manning sweepstakes is now only down to a couple, but the market for Matt Flynn, another potential answer to a team’s QB issues, is being hampered by the shadow of the Kevin Kolb deal last season. Flynn has shown huge ability in flashes, and teams have thrown big money at those players before, but his current options seem reluctant to pay him for performance that they can’t guarantee he’ll hit. The Cardinals sunk a lot of money into Kevin Kolb on similar potential, and after a stinking first season in the desert, they just had to bite the bullet and pay him another $7m bonus because they have no viable alternative. Nobody wants to repeat that same mistake with Matt Flynn, while the evidence of what it means if you guess wrongly staring them so plainly in the face.

==============================================================================

Interesting take on the CB vs LB.
Should be a decent OLB there for the Rams once the top end of the market gets thinned out.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
@HBalzer721

WR Brandon Lloyd signs with Patriots; 3 years, $12 million. OT Eric Winston, QB Brady Quinn sign with Chiefs; QB Shaun Hill (DET)

steferfootball

Starter
interference said:
@HBalzer721

WR Brandon Lloyd signs with Patriots; 3 years, $12 million. OT Eric Winston, QB Brady Quinn sign with Chiefs; QB Shaun Hill (DET)
another source I just read

Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora
Brandon Lloyd's deal with Pats is 3yrs/$12M #freeagency

steferfootball

Starter
Alex Smith is visiting the Dolphins per michael. L on NFLN.

Apparently San Fran offered him 8 mil/yr for 3 years.

I hope San Fran throws more money at him, though he may come to his senses and realize that that is more than enough and he can't be a game manager outside of San Fran.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
steferfootball said:
Alex Smith is visiting the Dolphins per michael. L on NFLN.

Apparently San Fran offered him 8 mil/yr for 3 years.

I hope San Fran throws more money at him, though he may come to his senses and realize that that is more than enough and he can't be a game manager outside of San Fran.

I guess he is also bothered by the reports about SF and Manning now, and thats why hes doing these visits, their contract offer may have something to do with it as well. This is what Lombardi tweeted about him:

Why is Alex Smith mad at the 49ers? If he had agreed to a deal BEFORE Manning was cut, the 49ers would have never been in the PM sweepstakes.

Its kinda funny because Harbaugh is the only coach that got the most out of him since hes been in the league. You could make the case that Smith was stealing money from them for years lol.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
FA OLBs that might help the Rams

Kamiron Wembley

Erin Henderson

Any thoughts on these guys?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:
FA OLBs that might help the Rams

Kamiron Wembley

Erin Henderson

Any thoughts on these guys?

Wimbley would have to be used in that "joker" type of role in a 4-3 D. He can line up at DE to rush the passer and play at OLB.

Dont know much about Hendersons performance last season. He's EJ Hendersons younger brother. He'll be 26 when the season starts. He replaced Ben Leber for them last year. 70 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 FF, and 2 PD last season.

steferfootball

Starter
I had a dream that we traded Robert Quinn because he didn't fit what Fisher wants to do. However in return, we managed to get Robert Quinn back. We almost managed to get Aldon Smith because Harbaugh changed his mind. There were a bunch of other players that swapped teams, but I don't recall who they were.

Does anyone interpret dreams?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Why hasnt there been much interest in Mike Wallace?

Citing a league source, the Sacramento Bee reports that restricted free agent Mike Wallace is searching for a long-term contract in excess of the eight-year, $120 million deal signed by Larry Fitzgerald last August.

The Bee's Matt Barrows has been tracking the situation because the team he covers -- the 49ers -- made an inquiry about signing Wallace to an offer sheet. It's not happening if he insists on becoming one of the top three highest paid receivers in football. (Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald are Nos. 1 and 2.) Wallace may still leave Pittsburgh if his asking price comes down, but the Steelers couldn't lock him up long term, either, on that lofty of a demand.

So some team would have to give up their first round pick AND overpay the guy. He's a number 1 WR but not an elite WR IMO. He isnt worth anywhere close to what he is asking for