Rams 2011 draft class(a look back)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its been 3 years in the pro's for these guys. Here's a look back at the top half of our draft and a microcosm sample of of their pre-draft analysis.
---------------------------------------------
PROSPECT

2495485.jpg

Robert Quinn (DE)
  • Height:
    6'4"
  • Weight:
    265 lbs.
  • Arm Length:
    34 in.
  • Hand Size:
    10 1/8 in.
  • College:
    North Carolina
  • Conference:
    ACC

Selected by: St. Louis Rams
Round: 1
Pick (Overall): 14 (14)

text-combine-stats.png

• 40 Yard Dash4.7 sec
  • Bench Press22.0 reps
  • Vertical Jump34.0 inch
  • Broad Jump116.0 inch
  • 3 Cone Drill7.13 sec
  • 20 Yard Shuttle4.4 sec
  • 60 Yard Shuttle- -

STRENGTHS
Quinn has a large frame and a muscular build. Explodes off the ball, shows good bend to get around the edge and has the closing burst to get after the quarterback. Plays with good balance and has a strong initial punch. Extremely fluid athlete that can make plays from the backside and flashes the ability to drop in coverage.
WEAKNESSES
Does not have the bulk to anchor against the run and will get pushed around in phone booth situations. A bit late finding the ball and does not always feel the down block. Lacks a repertoire of pass rushing moves. Struggles to break down ball carriers in space. Missed his entire junior season.
GRADE
--------------------------------------------
PROSPECT
2495187.jpg

Lance Kendricks (TE)
  • Height:
    6'3"
  • Weight:
    243 lbs.
  • Arm Length:
    32 in.
  • Hand Size:
    9 5/8 in.
  • College:
    Wisconsin
  • Conference:
    Big Ten

Round: 2
Pick (Overall): 15 (47)

text-combine-stats.png

• 40 Yard Dash4.75 sec
  • Vertical Jump34.5 inch
  • 3 Cone Drill6.94 sec
  • 60 Yard Shuttle11.9 sec

STRENGTHS
Kendricks is quick of the ball and gets a good outside release. He is athletic enough to separate from linebackers on underneath routes and has the top end speed to stretch the field down the seam. Runs good routes and finds soft spots in zone coverage. Fluid and slippery runner after the catch. Willing run blocker.
WEAKNESSES
Lacks prototypical size and bulk and rarely sustains blocks. Struggles to release off the line when engaged with a linebacker. Has inconsistent hands and drops too many catchable balls. Does not consistently secure the ball and at times will have alligator arms on crossing routes. Upright runner who will not break any tackles at the next level.
GRADE

--------------------------------------------
PROSPECT

2495212.jpg

Austin Pettis (WR)
  • Height:
    6'3"
  • Weight:
    209 lbs.
  • Arm Length:
    31 3/4 in.
  • Hand Size:
    9 3/4 in.
  • College:
    Boise St.
  • Conference:
    Mountain West

Round: 3
Pick (Overall): 14 (78)

text-combine-stats.png

• 40 Yard Dash4.61 sec
  • Bench Press14.0 reps
  • Vertical Jump33.5 inch
  • Broad Jump120.0 inch
  • 3 Cone Drill6.68 sec
  • 60 Yard Shuttle11.14 sec
STRENGTHS
Pettis has good size and strength for the receiver position. Displays the ability to sit in soft spots of zone coverage. Catches the ball away from his frame and shows the body control necessary to bring in the poorly thrown pass. Will make tough catches in traffic and win jump balls. Flashes the ability to be a mean run blocker.

WEAKNESSES
May have difficulty separating from tight man coverage at the next level. Not overly explosive off the line, builds speed with his long strides, and does not possess the speed to get vertical in the NFL. Won't turn too many short passes into long gains or make defenders miss.
GRADE
--------------------------------------
PROSPECT
2495223.jpg

Greg Salas (WR)
  • Height:
    6'1"
  • Weight:
    210 lbs.
  • Arm Length:
    32 in.
  • Hand Size:
    9 1/4 in.
  • College:
    Hawaii
  • Conference:
    Mountain West

Round: 4
Pick (Overall): 15 (112)

text-combine-stats.png

• 40 Yard Dash4.56 sec
  • Bench Press15.0 reps
  • Vertical Jump37.0 inch
  • Broad Jump120.0 inch
  • 3 Cone Drill6.65 sec
  • 20 Yard Shuttle4.1 sec
  • 60 Yard Shuttle11.21 sec

STRENGTHS
Salas is a highly-productive player. Can work himself open against zone coverage. Puts his frame in between the ball and the defender. Has reliable hands and can adjust to the back shoulder throw. Is a speed-builder who can get vertical with a free release off the line. Willing to catch the ball in traffic.
WEAKNESSES
Needs to polish up his route running for a prospect without elite quickness. May have difficulty consistently gaining separation at the next level. Is vulnerable against physical corners lined up in press-man coverage. Not going to take the short pass for a long gainer.
GRADE
-------------------------------------
PROSPECT
2495166.jpg

Jermale Hines (DB)
  • Height:
    6'1"
  • Weight:
    219 lbs.
  • Arm Length:
    32 1/4 in.
  • Hand Size:
    9 3/4 in.
  • College:
    Ohio St.
  • Conference:
    Big Ten

Round: 5
Pick (Overall): 27 (158)

text-combine-stats.png

• 40 Yard Dash4.68 sec
  • Bench Press19.0 reps
  • Vertical Jump31.0 inch
  • Broad Jump- -
  • 3 Cone Drill6.9 sec
  • 20 Yard Shuttle4.21 sec
  • 60 Yard Shuttle

STRENGTHS
Hines is a tall defensive back with a thick muscular build. Fluid athlete that can stick with tight ends in man coverage. Possesses very good hands and has the ball skills to make acrobatic interceptions. Has the strength to take on blocks in run support and is a sound tackler.
WEAKNESSES
Does not have the deep speed to be a true center fielder. Slow to read the flow of the play. Struggles to consistently recognize routes and sloppy footwork limits his effectiveness in coverage. Over-aggressive at times and will bite on play action. Will take poor angles in run support and miss the ball carrier.
GRADE
----------------------------------------

Alan

Legend
Good shit Mojo! (y)

It's going to take me forever to read all that. Thanks! :LOL:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good crap Mojo! (y)

It's going to take me forever to read all that. Thanks! :LOL:
Thanks Alan. I figure its the offseason and the biggest news we got is signing a LB to play special teams (y)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Man. I remember being in the chat room on here when the Kendricks pick came in. THAT was not pretty! I like the guy but how true is the part about the drops. He seems to be past a good part of that but at the time, I don't know of a single person that either liked the pick or saw it coming.

Alan

Legend
I hated it. But compared to many other picks the Rams made that I didn't like, this one didn't turn out as bad. He's done some good work for us along with some drops.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Not bad, really. I rate it a... B-

Quinn alone with nobody else gives it a C

My gosh... no late round gems? NONE?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Man. I remember being in the chat room on here when the Kendricks pick came in. THAT was not pretty! I like the guy but how true is the part about the drops. He seems to be past a good part of that but at the time, I don't know of a single person that either liked the pick or saw it coming.

Damn it was the same in the tailgate at RRF.. We were all like WTF??? Then it went all to HE double hockey sticks..

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah i was like who the fuck? Why?
He's found a nice role here as an H-back/TE/utility guy, but in hindsight certainly not worth a 2nd rd pick(47th overall).

The Austin Pettis analysis seems pretty dead on too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not bad, really. I rate it a... B-

Quinn alone with nobody else gives it a C

My gosh... no late round gems? NONE?
Mikail Baker-DB 7th rd
Jabara Williams-OLB 7th rd
Jonathan Nelson-DB 7th rd

fearsomefour

Legend
I always forget Pettis is 6' 3".
I was stoked when they drafted him. Thought he would be more of a contributor.

bluecoconuts

Legend
First 3 rounds were good, the rest..... Not so much. Pettis isn't great but he's become reliable which I like. Good complimentary piece, same with Kendricks.

I thought Greg Salas had something more than we got out of him, at least he's still in the league.

Was watching the Saints game again on Sunday and Kendricks and Pettis both made amazing catches, would like to see more of them.

Nothing to say about Quinn that hasn't been said 1m times before.

C+ I'd give it just due to Quinn.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I thought Greg Salas had something more than we got out of him, at least he's still in the league.

Was watching the Saints game again on Sunday and Kendricks and Pettis both made amazing catches, would like to see more of them.

Nothing to say about Quinn that hasn't been said 1m times before.

C+ I'd give it just due to Quinn.
I think this deserves at least a B. Obviously Quinn is looking like an all pro, but Kendricks (who I was very skeptical about) has been a willing blocker and makes some big catches. Pettis, I think, is a very good possession WR, though he'll never really be a #1 or a #2.

I also had high hopes for Salas. He just looked like a football player when he was out there. He was willing to go over the middle, he made tough catches, seemed to find ways to get open. He looked a lot like a young Ricky Proehl.

I think this deserves at least a B. Obviously Quinn is looking like an all pro, but Kendricks (who I was very skeptical about) has been a willing blocker and makes some big catches. Pettis, I think, is a very good possession WR, though he'll never really be a #1 or a #2.

I also had high hopes for Salas. He just looked like a football player when he was out there. He was willing to go over the middle, he made tough catches, seemed to find ways to get open. He looked a lot like a young Ricky Proehl.

On average a draft should find a Pro Bowler (Quinn) and 1 other starter, do you see either Pettis or Kendricks as starters?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
On average a draft should find a Pro Bowler (Quinn) and 1 other starter, do you see either Pettis or Kendricks as starters?
An average draft should find a pro bowler? That seems a bit steep. I agree that there should be at least two starters. Kendricks may not be a great starter, but he is a starter.

An average draft should find a pro bowler? That seems a bit steep. I agree that there should be at least two starters. Kendricks may not be a great starter, but he is a starter.

I did the math a couple of years ago, and that's what I came up with (it may have been 0.9 or so). I'll look at it again if I get a chance but I'm 95% certain that that's the case.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
3 guys have started Quinn, Kendricks and Pettis I go C+ - B- an all pro and 2 3 year contributors and occasional starters.
If we get 3 starters this year, which we better get that's a pretty good draft.
Yes I want more than 3 this year, we will see.

FRO

Legend
This wasn't our worst draft, but outside of Quinn it really isn't something to be too excited about. I was shocked Quinn was still there when we picked. He was the guy I was screaming at the TV to get.

Passing up Torrey Smith when we had a clear need at WR hurts. That's not Monday morning QBing, that was something many fans complained about on draft day. I think they gave too much power to McDaniels on selecting guys that fit his system instead of getting the best players and building the system around them. Now had Kendricks been able to play at his 2011 preseason level we would have no complaints. He is a decent player, but not really anything more than a rotational TE.

As far as Pettis, he is a number 4 WR. Great hands, long arms, but can't get open. He seems to be a smart guy and good teammate. I think had Salas not broke his leg he would have been a good player for us.

Hard to complain about 5-7 round picks busting, although you would like to see them make the team following camp and preseason.