Rams 2001 Offensive Playbook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Todd59

Rookie
Not sure if anyone is a playbook junkie like me, but I found this to be super interesting, and I don't recall seeing anything posted about this before. It's the Rams playbook from the "Greatest Show on Turf" era, and its 414 pages of Mike Martz's genius. It gives a good insight into how much information players have to absorb, a short amount of time no less, to play even a single season in the NFL. Hope anyone cares to take a look.

http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/pro-offense/2001-St-Louis-Rams-Mike-Martz-Offense.pdf

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You can find the '99 one on the Internet here:

https://www.2000footballplaybooks.com/offense/1/pro/22/1999-st-louis-rams-offense-131-pages/1831/

Only 131 pages, still a lot of plays in there and things to learn in there.

This is Exhibit A as to why I don't think changing an offense necessarily has to mean multiple seasons. Martz came in, and in one offseason, installed that offense which was new to everyone running it (save for Trent Green, and we know what happened to him). And yet, almost from the get-go, the Rams were able to run it an an exceptionally high level. Having the athletic talent helped for sure, but these guys first had to learn it.

The upshot is, if you have a guy who knows hot to teach it and how to make it easier to learn, it can be done.

Todd59

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a big fan of the Air Coryell-type offenses. It prides itself on taking shots down the field first and foremost, and isn't nearly as complicated as it may seem. Having a coach like Martz on the staff would do wonders for our QBs. I just don't know if Boras or Weinke have the experience to develop a quarterback. It's why I didn't like they trade up to #1 in the first place.

Considering the versatility of both Austin and Gurley, it would be interesting to see what ol' Mad Mike Martz could cook up for those guys.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Not sure if anyone is a playbook junkie like me, but I found this to be super interesting, and I don't recall seeing anything posted about this before. It's the Rams playbook from the "Greatest Show on Turf" era, and its 414 pages of Mike Martz's genius. It gives a good insight into how much information players have to absorb, a short amount of time no less, to play even a single season in the NFL. Hope anyone cares to take a look.

http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/pro-offense/2001-St-Louis-Rams-Mike-Martz-Offense.pdf

Very cool.
Thanks!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm a big fan of the Air Coryell-type offenses. It prides itself on taking shots down the field first and foremost, and isn't nearly as complicated as it may seem. Having a coach like Martz on the staff would do wonders for our QBs. I just don't know if Boras or Weinke have the experience to develop a quarterback. It's why I didn't like they trade up to #1 in the first place.

Considering the versatility of both Austin and Gurley, it would be interesting to see what ol' Mad Mike Martz could cook up for those guys.

Yes.......thank you!............
giphy.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
So kind of the Patriot's to help Fisher out like this by releasing their copy.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It's also really interesting to look at the defensive playbooks for Greg Williams. I have downloaded some from his time with the Bills and most of it is a stroke of brilliance.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

It boggles the mind to think of what he could cook up for Tavon. With the GSOT, he had a guy in Az Hakim he did a lot with. Az was a great athlete too ... and yet, Austin is (despite his short stature) head and shoulders about Hakim in the athleticism department - not to mention more versatile.

I'll just say this ... nobody ... NOBODY would question the value of Tavon's contract in a Mike Martz coordinated offense. At his current rate, people would be saying he's a bargain.