Rams: 10 Greatest Undrafted Free Agents in Team History

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams: 10 Greatest Undrafted Free Agents in Team History
by Patrick Karraker

http://archauthority.com/2015/05/19/st-louis-rams-10-greatest-undrafted-free-agents-in-team-history/

While converting on early draft picks is a major key to success in the NFL, it’s equally important to be able to stock the bottom of the roster with able undrafted free agents who can fill needs. Sometimes, teams get lucky and these undrafted players actually end up being successful long-term contributors.

Perhaps there should be a growing sense of optimism surrounding the Rams, because after a period in the mid-to-late 2000s in which instances of undrafted free agents making the Rams’ 53-man roster were few and far between, these occurrences have become much more common as the Jeff Fisher/Les Snead administration has gotten settled in. Four undrafted rookies—tight end Alex Bayer, running back Trey Watts, defensive end Ethan Westbrooks, and cornerback Marcus Roberson—made the Rams’ opening roster this past season, though it was at the expense of the last five draft picks failing to make the team. It’s the most the Rams have utilized undrafted rookies since the late 1990s, when the Rams successfully found several diamonds in the rough on the way to a Super Bowl victory and a string of playoff appearances.

With the Rams’ history of having success with undrafted free agents, we thought it might be fun to rank the 10 best since the Rams have been in St. Louis. Here are the rules in picking players for this exercise: the player must have been originally signed by the Rams or brought in following an unsuccessful offseason attempt with another team. Thus, undrafted guys who had nice careers with the Rams after being poached from other teams’ practice squads, such as Mike Gruttadauria, Daniel Fells, and Danny Amendola, are ineligible.

Here are the 10 best undrafted free agents to play for the Rams since the team arrived in St. Louis.

10. Danario Alexander
9. Darian Stewart
8.Dane Looker
7. James Hodgins
6. Rodney McLeod
5. Billy Jenkins Jr.
4. Tony Horne
3. Johnny Hekker
2. London Fletcher
1. Kurt Warner

Read Details About Each Player

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice of him to set the criteria so that Warner qualifies. We all know Kurt wasn't a Ram UDFA, we signed him 4 years after the Packers signed him. And though he was signed in LA DeMarco Farr had a darn good career in St Louis.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think Harkey, Cunningham, and even McQuaide should get honorable mentions too and in time one or more could end up in the top 10.

D'Marco Farr was picked up in 94 just before the team moved to St Louis so he misses out based on the criteria set forth but I would still have put him 3rd on the list since he played 6 of his 7 year career in St Louis.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Harkey, Cunningham, and even McQuaide should get honorable mentions too and in time one or more could end up in the top 10.

D'Marco Farr was picked up in 94 just before the team moved to St Louis so he misses out based on the criteria set forth but I would still have put him 3rd on the list since he played 6 of his 7 year career in St Louis.

D'Marco was the same draft as Warner and had a longer career with the Rams than Warner.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gee I wonder who was responsible for 1, 2, 4 & 5? Look to your left Gentlemen, your military left!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Night Train Lane not being number one on the list makes it irrelevant for me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Memphis Ram

Legend
Exactly. I saw Warner and automatically assumed Gruttadauria should be counted, too. But, I didn't read the story. Just the list.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
1 (Warner) and 2 (Fletcher) are future hall of Famers.
As Den mention we definitely should give kudos to Vermeil's regime for bringing in 4 of the top 5 on that list.