Rams #1 in pass defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yeah, it's funny how stats work. If you take away the long completions and only count the shorter ones then the YPA comes down.

That's part of all team's stats. If you take away the long completions from any defense and their YPA will improve.

Let's try to stay focused on what really happened.

You're not getting what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that besides one long completion, we've been spot on. Dez Bryant's one long touchdown was an outlier. The longest pass we've given up besides that one has been 29 yards. One play, the 68 yarder, makes up 11.3% of our yards which skews the yards/attempt because we don't have enough attempts. Statistics suggest that if we play about the same for the rest of the year, that the overall yards/attempt will go down as the attempts go up because the stats will be closer to the "real average" rather than the skewed results. We aren't going to give up huge long TDs to Dez Bryant every week.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wasn't it last year we ranked high against the run and really low against the pass?

jap

Legend
Whoever thought that missing Chris "Clark Kent/Superman" Long would have such an effect on our pass rush efforts? :sneaky:

…..

Legend
Some interesting points being made about this subject, which has troubled me to the point extreme frustration because net/net we have been dissapointing.

Having said all that, and knowing that I am not a person to make excuses, allow stats to mitigate the obvious, there are still some key points affecting the defensive rankings.

1. We knew going in that our secondary was a concern, which was compounded by the willingness of the team to push forward with a severe lack of experience at the corner positions.
2. Teams are clearly game planning to reduce the effectiveness of our one true strength on the defensive line and pressure on the passing game.
3. I dont know how different our scheme is from last two years, but I do know Gregg Williams is throwing in wrinklles that take time to master based on assignments being executed.

I really hate the NFL collective bargaining agreement

We cannot practice like we did ten years ago. I think the team has used extensive time working on its percieved weakness, the DB's, which is tangible because you can see the results.

I think Gregg Williams will start to focus energy elsewhere now that the youth in the secondary is less of a concern and little by little the defense will come together. Fact of the matter is, we have been killed by long runs/broken assignments/missed tackles. The run defense without these factors has actually been pretty good in my opinion. We help AP to respectable yardage and had DeMarco Murray held to under a hundred before he broke that 29 yarder in the 4th quarter.

All in all I think its a concern and a fail up to this, but I also think we arent that far off and most of our issues, even without Chris Long, are easily correctable.

Once we find a way to lead a game and force teams to pass, then we can get away from the 3 step drops and let our rush have an impact.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most people on this forum entering the season expecting and predicting a top defense.

This defense is not good. Nowhere close to elite, or really even average so far. One of the worst against the run, last in sacks, one of the worst in giving up points, bottom ten is completion percentage, passer rating, and yards per attempt.

I applaud your attempts to find something to be positive about with this massively underachieving defense.

To me this has been a massive disappointment.

Your post after this one kinda negates this point. All stats are skewed. You have to to take rush D stats with a grain (or more of salt). All things are factored in from designed rushes, QB scrambles, end arounds, etc.

For the most part, the team hasn't allowed the top backs in the league to break out. Bobby Rainey is the only one that did.

DeMarco Murray got 100 yards, like he often does.

The COMBO of LeSean McCoy and Darren Sproles got well over 100. Individually, tho, they weren't much of a factor. It's unrealsitc to expect any defense to negate both RBs of their caliber.

Adrian Peterson was a non factor. Funny, his last game ever will just be 75 yards.

And only 1 TD. That's impressive, considering the quality of the backs.

But we're getting on a tangent, b/c this is about pass D. Unlike rush D, you can't really have multiple parts it in it that add to passing totals. It's either yards or not. Look at it another way, last season the Ram CBs were getting burned week in and out. Now, this year with only 1 returning starting CB that is playing, they are 1st. IMO that is impressive, especially considering this was the supposed weak point. If the secondary was bad as we thought it would be, QBs would be picking them apart. But, they are not.

AZRamsFan93

Your post after this one kinda negates this point. All stats are skewed. You have to to take rush D stats with a grain (or more of salt). All things are factored in from designed rushes, QB scrambles, end arounds, etc.

For the most part, the team hasn't allowed the top backs in the league to break out. Bobby Rainey is the only one that did.

The COMBO of LeSean McCoy and Darren Sproles got well over 100. Individually, tho, they weren't much of a factor. It's unrealsitc to expect any defense to negate both RBs of their caliber.

Adrian Peterson was a non factor. Funny, his last game ever will just be 75 yards.

But we're getting on a tangent, b/c this is about pass D. Unlike rush D, you can't really have multiple parts it in it that add to passing totals. It's either yards or not. Look at it another way, last season the Ram CBs were getting burned week in and out. Now, this year with only 1 returning starting CB that is playing, they are 1st. IMO that is impressive, especially considering this was the supposed weak point. If the secondary was bad as we thought it would be, QBs would be picking them apart. But, they are not.

The 49ers have played a similar set of running backs and are shutting them down (sans Murray). Bottom line is that our defense has been a disappointment. Personally, I refuse to try and see potential "positives" from the mess I have seen on the field.

This team will deserve the benefit of the doubt when they earn it on the field. Maybe that starts on Monday night.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The 49ers have played a similar set of running backs and are shutting them down (sans Murray). Bottom line is that our defense has been a disappointment. Personally, I refuse to try and see potential "positives" from the mess I have seen on the field.

This team will deserve the benefit of the doubt when they earn it on the field. Maybe that starts on Monday night.

Not only does the single 68 yard play skew the stats, it shouldnt have even been a play. Our D rusher was dragged to the ground right in front of the QB. It's simply not representative of what the Rams are actually doing.

Angry Ram

And so are the Rams. The biggest issue is points, and so far the Rams have done a good job in that department. Again, not any better or any worse than any other given team.

V3

Hall of Fame
The run defense has actually been pretty damn good until a runner hits the second level. Tree and Laurinaitis need to step it up. If it weren't for LB play, the whole defense would be solid.

That's not the main reason the Rams are #1. Rams are #1 because they are forcing the short throws and defending well. Yes, it helps that teams are running, but you don't get the #1 pass defense by default.
I have to throw in the DT's not named Donald into that group being called out, as well. I have been very disappointed in their play in both pass rushing and run blocking.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
misleading stat to say the least because teams can run at will against them.

Rams are:
30th in completion% against (70.8%)
25 th in QB ratings against (98.5)
Yeah I read they were completing 75% against our defense....So 70% makes me feel a lil better...7-8 yards per attempt....some crazy stuff....play the db's closer...if they can't do it, get some that can. This defense has been ridiculous...I don't care what the stats say...I can see...

AZRamsFan93

And so are the Rams. The biggest issue is points, and so far the Rams have done a good job in that department. Again, not any better or any worse than any other given team.
I am not sure what you just said???

AZRamsFan93

The only stat that really matters is points. The Rams, as a team, give up over 29 a game. They will not win many games if that continues.

You can pick out stats that say they are playing really well. 1-3 and in last place does not seem real good to me.

Angry Ram

The only stat that really matters is points. The Rams, as a team, give up over 29 a game. They will not win many games if that continues.

You can pick out stats that say they are playing really well. 1-3 and in last place does not seem real good to me.

Yeah, except I'm talking defensively. Not collectively as a team. All things considered, every situation, field position etc, again, for the 3rd time, isn't any better or worse than any other team.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
It is a bit misleading because the Rams have face the fewest pass attempts in the NFL (106) by quite a bit. But it's not like it's a total mirage either. The secondary has been playing very well... only 8 completions of 20+ yards in four games, and Dez Bryant's bomb was the only 40+ yard completion all year. Rams also rank 17th in picks despite seeing the fewest attempts.

Yes, teams aren't throwing the ball because the run D is bad. BUT, they also aren't throwing because the pass D is good. It's a little of both.

AZRamsFan93

Yeah, except I'm talking defensively. Not collectively as a team. All things considered, every situation, field position etc, again, for the 3rd time, isn't any better or worse than any other team.
What does that mean? We aren't any worse than any other team? We aren't any better? This makes no sense at all. Sorry.

Angry Ram

What does that mean? We aren't any worse than any other team? We aren't any better? This makes no sense at all. Sorry.

It means the Rams have made plays and given up plays on defense. Just like every other team. Not that difficult a concept to understand.

AZRamsFan93

It means the Rams have made plays and given up plays on defense. Just like every other team. Not that difficult a concept to understand.
I understand.

The sun comes up and the sun sets today, just like every other day.

What's the point of your post? That the Rams are a football team?

Angry Ram

I understand.

The sun comes up and the sun sets today, just like every other day.

What's the point of your post? That the Rams are a football team?

Good grief man, it's like...

Talking-to-Brick-Wall.jpg

Again, the point is...the Rams, (you still with me?), defensively (the side of the ball that's supposed to stop the opponent), all things considered (meaning, the caliber of players they've gone up against), haven't been as terrible as the stats indicate when it comes to run defense.

Again, 1 TD against the best backs in the league. The stats are skewed b/c of QB runs, multiple backs, and jet sweeps by Cordarrelle Patterson.

And again, that wasn't the topic of my OP anyway. It was pass defense. And a couple days ago, it was #1. Unlike run D, yards on a pass play are what they are. They can't be skewed. IMO, that is pretty impressive. Especially we got 2 rookie CBs, a nobody at one of the safety spots, and only 1 healthy returning starter.

I'm not saying the Rams defensively are good right now. I'm just saying they aren't that bad. That's it.

Still too difficult a concept to grasp?