RamBalls camp report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Well to start, my wife took some video and lots of pictures but I am not able to put them on my computer, vids to large to send and I havent been able to get pictures to show up in my posts.

This is my memories from Aug 6,8 and 9.
Dline seems to be going through the motions in team drills, DBs have good coverage forcing Keenum and Goff to hold the ball too long, most pass plays would have been sacks.

Oline opened up some run lanes, but as mentioned above, did not create a good pocket for any of QBs, I'm hoping it was due to AD the practice wrecker and his buddies and not a sign of the Oline being a weakness.

On Aug 8, Mannion IMO had a better day than either Keenum or Goff, CK and JG did move the ball, but took way too long to get rid of the ball. Mannion got rid of the ball quicker and pushed it down the field more than the other 2.

Higbeast is gonna be the anti-Jared Cook. He has great hands and looks like he may be good after the catch as well, very strong. His blocking has room to improve of course that can be said for any TE that trys to block Quinn or any other DE on the Rams roster.
Kendricks wont have to be the recieving TE, due to Higbeast, but LK will keep the Ds honest, he can block in the run game or get open in the pass game.
Harkey is a big dude and looks good also, like LK he can block and catch.

Spruce has very good hands also, I hope there is a way to keep him on the 53, there are going to be some hard decisions at WR come cut time.
TA is electric, no surprise here but I cant skip him. TA took a short pass in the scrimage and made 2 moves and was gone, there is no angle to counter his speed, appears he has a burst and just plays with the defenders. They think they have the angle and he just blows by them, very fun to watch in person.
Cooper looks like he will be a fan favorite very soon, good hands and looks like a thicker TA, maybe not as fast, but plenty fast enough.
Quick looked good, but inconsistency is still a problem with him as is ball security.
Britt looks good, but had some frustrating drops.
Britt and TA are both always helping the youngsters, giving tips and pumping them up.
Duke Williams reminds me of a poor mans A Boldin, but much faster. He is a large young man. I read mixed reports on him before I got down there, but he seemed to have good hands when I watched him.
Mike Thomas also looked good, the Rams definitely went after guys that can catch this off season.

There is gonna be a tough cut at RB Gurley and Benny are safe but after that it gets interesting Aaron Green and Malcom Brown both look good and Chase Reynolds seems to be made of glue, no matter who the Rams bring in CR seems to stick.
Gurley is damn fast for such a big young man, on many runs it looked like the D would get him in the backfield, then he hit the jets and was turning the corner, and he doesnt need much room in the middle to find a crack and be 10-15 yards downfield before anyone has a chance to try and get him.
Benny looks like he turned some of that baby fat into solid muscle, and has very good feet in traffic, always pumping his legs and fighting for extra yards.
AG is fast and makes people miss, better hands than MB.
MB looked good on runs, but dropped a couple passes. one of which was a great pass on a wheel route from Mannion that would have gone for a TD as MB was behind the entire D.

To steal a line from coach Wauffle, the Dline is going to fuck people up. I am looking forward to seeing them go against the Dallas Oline.

I like Ogletree at MLB, he was getting in on a lot of the runs, seemed to shed blockers better than he did in the past and damn is he fast.

I think the secondary will be fine if not better than last year. A lot of tight coverage forced the QBs to hold the ball, allowing the Dline to do its job.
Tru and TJ McDonald look to be the leaders of this group and are showing the younger guys how DBs should play, very physical, they both want to destroy ball carriers/recievers.
Joyner looks good as the slot cover man, he also likes to hit.
Tru22 by my count led the D in ints, he didnt care who was throwing the ball he picked it.

My overall impression of the team is that Fisher is right anything less than 11 or 12 wins is BULLSHIT! There is a lot of talent on this team at every level on D and at all the skill positions on O. I dont think it would be fair to the Oline to judge them based off of camp, the Dline is dominant and it looked like both lines were trying to keep each other healthy. Did see 1 fight between O and D but couldnt see who it was.

I'm sure more will come to me as I read on, I will add anything that comes to me in whatever thread jogs my memory.

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Well to start, my wife took some video and lots of pictures but I am not able to put them on my computer, vids to large to send and I havent been able to get pictures to show up in my posts.

This is my memories from Aug 6,8 and 9.
Dline seems to be going through the motions in team drills, DBs have good coverage forcing Keenum and Goff to hold the ball too long, most pass plays would have been sacks

Oline opened up some run lanes, but as mentioned above, did not create a good pocket for any of QBs, I'm hoping it was due to AD the practice wrecker and his buddies and not a sign of the Oline being a weakness.

On Aug 8, Mannion IMO had a better day than either Keenum or Goff, CK and JG did move the ball, but took way too long to get rid of the ball. Mannion got rid of the ball quicker and pushed it down the field more than the other 2.

Higbeast is gonna be the anti-Jared Cook. He has great hands and looks like he may be good after the catch as well, very strong. His blocking has room to improve of course that can be said for any TE that trys to block Quinn or any other DE on the Rams roster.
Kendricks wont have to be the recieving TE, due to Higbeast, but LK will keep the Ds honest, he can block in the run game or get open in the pass game.
Harkey is a big dude and looks good also, like LK he can block and catch.

Spruce has very good hands also, I hope there is a way to keep him on the 53, there are going to be some hard decisions at WR come cut time.
TA is electric, no surprise here but I cant skip him. TA took a short pass in the scrimage and made 2 moves and was gone, there is no angle to counter his speed, appears he has a burst and just plays with the defenders. They think they have the angle and he just blows by them, very fun to watch in person.
Cooper looks like he will be a fan favorite very soon, good hands and looks like a thicker TA, maybe not as fast, but plenty fast enough.
Quick looked good, but inconsistency is still a problem with him as is ball security.
Britt looks good, but had some frustrating drops.
Britt and TA are both always helping the youngsters, giving tips and pumping them up.
Duke Williams reminds me of a poor mans A Boldin, but much faster. He is a large young man. I read mixed reports on him before I got down there, but he seemed to have good hands when I watched him.
There is gonna be a tough cut at RB Gurley and Benny are safe but after that it gets interesting Aaron Green and Malcom Brown both look good and Chase Reynolds seems to be made of glue, no matter who the Rams bring in CR seems to stick.
Gurley is damn fast for such a big young man, on many runs it looked like the D would get him in the backfield, then he hit the jets and was turning the corner, and he doesnt need much room in the middle to find a crack and be 10-15 yards downfield before anyone has a chance to try and get him.
Benny looks like he turned some of that baby fat into solid muscle, and has very good feet in traffic, always pumping his legs and fighting for extra yards.
AG is fast and makes people miss, better hands than MB.
MB looked good on runs, but dropped a couple passes. one of which was a great pass on a wheel route from Mannion that would have gone for a TD as MB was behind the entire D.

To steal a line from coach Wauffle, the Dline is going to freak people up. I am looking forward to seeing them go against the Dallas Oline.

I like Ogletree at MLB, he was getting in on a lot of the runs, seemed to shed blockers better than he did in the past and damn is he fast.

I think the secondary will be fine if not better than last year. A lot of tight coverage forced the QBs to hold the ball, allowing the Dline to do its job.
Tru and TJ McDonald look to be the leaders of this group and are showing the younger guys how DBs should play, very physical, they both want to destroy ball carriers/recievers.
Joyner looks good as the slot cover man, he also likes to hit.
Tru22 by my count led the D in ints, he didnt care who was throwing the ball he picked it.

My overall impression of the team is that Fisher is right anything less than 11 or 12 wins is bullcrap! There is a lot of talent on this team at every level on D and at all the skill positions on O. I dont think it would be fair to the Oline to judge them based off of camp, the Dline is dominant and it looked like both lines were trying to keep each other healthy. Did see 1 fight between O and D but couldnt see who it was.

I'm sure more will come to me as I read on, I will add anything that comes to me in whatever thread jogs my memory.

@RamBall fantastic break down and report..... thank you so much...... ;)

Go Rams............. ;)

…..

Legend
I'm excited about the receiver's and there's going to be a broken heart or two at final cuts I am sure. Mixed reviews on Duke have recently turned more to the positive side, so that's good.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Thanks @RamBall
The questions about the strength of the Dline vs the Oline will partially be answered tonight against the Cowlads. If Dallas has its's way with our 1's on D then the Oline may actually be a bit behind or overmatched. If our Dline has its way with the Dallas Oline then we know we are where we should be. There are obviously no fool proof comparisons in camp or pre season so this is much like a glorified practice so the comparison should be fair. The Dallas Oline should and most likely will be their team strength. I am looking forward to the first 2 or 3 series from both teams after that I will be solely looking at depth. Our WR's and Dbacks will be a fun watch.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You're the fucking best dude. I've missed these camp reports and it's really helpful to hear this insight. I can't wait to see Gurley in action this year. Maybe @NateDawg122 wasnt bullshitting about him after all ;)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Good stuff @RamBall any input from on the scene is always appreciated.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
You're the freaking best dude. I've missed these camp reports and it's really helpful to hear this insight. I can't wait to see Gurley in action this year. Maybe @NateDawg122 wasnt bullshitting about him after all ;)

I'm telling y'all, Todd Gurley circa 2014 was a man amongst boys. If he's regained that speed and explosiveness you're going to immediately notice it. TG3 has some wheels.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
the dropped balls concerns me. If Spruce keeps getting open and catching everything thrown his way, he's making the team. Lets see how they do in pre-season games.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm telling y'all, Todd Gurley circa 2014 was a man amongst boys. If he's regained that speed and explosiveness you're going to immediately notice it. TG3 has some wheels.
Sounds like a whole lot of 13-3 Georgia Billcr@p to me!:rockon:

A55VA6

Legend
He looks extra shifty and fast this year. Could be a hell of a season for him!