Ram Plan For Big Impact Falls Short

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
View attachment 12790

Sorry, pictures speak...well, you know.

But seriously, What has happened so far in the offseason may disappoint some. No "big impact". But I see it this way:
  • The LA Rams are a team in transition. Logistically, there will be distractions with the move, getting to know the new LA media, uncertainty with practice, and workout facilities.
  • Holding the roster as stable as possible is the best course. Few key signings of mature, stable players, with big upside. (Coples, Sensabaugh)
  • Letting some pieces go that might not be part of the plan. (Long, Laurinitis, Cooked)
  • Having a financial eye to the future. Sign Johnson, Hayes, Barron, even Barnes, but have a ceiling for others, (Jenkins, McLeod) Key pieces will need to be signed soon, (Brockers, Donald, Ogletree) and Hair N Stache are too wise to get caught with no cash.
  • Another wave of Free Agency is coming. This period serves to bring down the costs of free agents for teams, but be sure we will have a couple more key pieces coming. (Some internal: hopefully Bennie, GZ) and maybe a seasoned WR (Not a Sims-Walker type disaster) TE or linebacker.
  • The draft: Four weeks away people. The Rams need: WR (2), QB, TE, LB, FS, CB? RB? but not all front line players. I believe, and maybe so do Ram officials, that there will be answers from within the current roster at: Safety, Linebacker, Cornerback, Tight End and even Quarterback. With Picks 15, 43 and 45, the Rams may pick up 3 quality starters-contributors.
I believe the Rams are primed for a breakout-finally. I believe this offseason period, though not exciting, still has a lot of hope. The last few holes will be filled.

And the impact on the NFL will be a far greater head-butt than the current love-tap appears.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good post, RS.

The LA Rams are a team in transition. Logistically, there will be distractions with the move, getting to know the new LA media, uncertainty with practice, and workout facilities.

I don't think this impacted the offseason personnel strategy, if you are suggesting that.

Having a financial eye to the future. Sign Johnson, Hayes, Barron, even Barnes, but have a ceiling for others, (Jenkins, McLeod) Key pieces will need to be signed soon, (Brockers, Donald, Ogletree) and Hair N Stache are too wise to get caught with no cash.

If we were a part of the discussions between Fisher/Snead in year one, I am sure this was the place they wanted to get our roster in a few years. They got us to that point, thankfully.

Another wave of Free Agency is coming.

Good point. The Rams have left some space to participate here. I doubt it's a "wave" but there are more pieces coming outside of the draft.

The draft: Four weeks away people. The Rams need: WR (2), QB, TE, LB, FS, CB? RB?

This is what concerns me. Particularly as it pertains to trading up for a QB. As much as I want to trade up (and I would) there are some holes that will be difficult to close if we do.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams only have 6 picks, trading away one or two of them for a QB in this years draft, who in any other past draft, would not go in the top ten and then sit on the bench for a year is not a good thing. those first three picks should bring rams some playmakers, WR, TE.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The future ain't what it used to be. Free agency doesn't seem to be as big a splash is it used to be. You have to overpay if you want the best available. Players who aren't even good enough to be a pro bowler are the top guys. Seems like teams aren't letting their key guys get away.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The future ain't what it used to be. Free agency doesn't seem to be as big a splash is it used to be. You have to overpay if you want the best available. Players who aren't even good enough to be a pro bowler are the top guys. Seems like teams aren't letting their key guys get away.
And most of these top guy/big splash free agents don't even play for that club through their whole contract. They get cut half way through or traded away. Free agency is clearly not the way to build a consistent winner. You have to be able to draft well, resign your own and make small signings to fill in the blanks.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
And most of these top guy/big splash free agents don't even play for that club through their whole contract. They get cut half way through or traded away. Free agency is clearly not the way to build a consistent winner. You have to be able to draft well, resign your own and make small signings to fill in the blanks.

Yeah, some people point to the Broncos and their high profile signings. But Von Miller was the key to that defense and he was always a Bronco. And some other key players like Jackson, Wolfe and Trevathon were home grown Broncos.

So it really wasn't so much they loaded up in free agency. The complimented what they already had in free agency. And it all came together nicely for them. For the most part teams who make the biggest splashes in free agency are not the teams still playing in the post season.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All good points. I think the key here is that the Rams are embracing the right formula.

I honestly think we match the Bronco roster in nearly every position. We had a LOT of key injuries and bad early QB play and bad overall receiver play, and a few missed key kicks.

Tweaks. Not an overhaul scenario.

:flanders: "Make that 'key' tweaks, and I'll sign off on this Roman."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm excited, and looking for "Snisher" to work their usual "Draft Magic!!:D

17zw35.jpg

I'm Betting on it! All in, as usual!

Bet It all.jpg

They are going to ..

do it!.gif
:snicker::shades::cheers:

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Rams only have 6 picks, trading away one or two of them for a QB in this years draft, who in any other past draft, would not go in the top ten and then sit on the bench for a year is not a good thing. those first three picks should bring rams some playmakers, WR, TE.
Amen to that

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Few key signings of mature, stable players, with big upside. (Coples, Sensabaugh)
I like the overall theme but one minor point is I think you kind of merged these two guys to fit one description. Coples has the great boom or bust upside chance but can't really label him mature or stable, while Sensabaugh is the more mature, stable guy but without the upside since it's pretty known what he is by now. This isn't surprising that they'd sign guys with complete opposite makeups; it's often really hard to generalize the Rams into a label. When it comes down to it they often are very contradictory. Like Fisher is the most conservative coach ever, but then he'll fake punt from his own 20. It's why it's just so unknown what they will do in the draft, they preach being happy winning with mediocre QB play but we know Snead loves to deal in the first round, so who knows?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe the Rams are primed for a breakout-finally. I believe this offseason period, though not exciting, still has a lot of hope. The last few holes will be filled.

I think this year is another 7-9 or worse year with the move and the China game. Even if they draft a better QB they may not be ready to lead the team to victory in their first year. Athletes are creatures of habit. Routine rules their lives. It will be disrupted this season.

The game in China alone could have a negative affect on the team for more than a week afterwards

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this year is another 7-9 or worse year with the move and the China game. Even if they draft a better QB they may not be ready to lead the team to victory in their first year. Athletes are creatures of habit. Routine rules their lives. It will be disrupted this season.

The game in China alone could have a negative affect on the team for more than a week afterwards

If I understand correctly China is in 2018. Though your point is still valid in that we travel to London.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
trading away one or two of them for a QB in this years draft, who in any other past draft, would not go in the top ten

100.gif

I don't believe that is even close to accurate. Goff and Wentz go top 10 any year.

I hate to trade away picks, but you need a QB to win in this league.

I'll be rooting for Keenum. But, I'll feel a lot better with a top talent waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I would agree except I think that Wentz is that special. I actually think on this team he could be as special as Luck if not more so.

jap

Legend
I would agree except I think that Wentz is that special. I actually think on this team he could be as special as Luck if not more so.

The NFL has screwed up so much with respect to drafting QB's I wouldn't worry too much about media buffs have to say about this QB class. The Steelers cut Johnny Unitas before he went on to become arguably the best in the game in Baltimore. Our own Kurt Warner went undrafted. The man named Brady was a 6th round selection. If the Horns and their resident (& non-resident) QB gurus feel a guy has special promise, let them go for it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, my feeling is based on my observations, analysis and projections of skills to the NFL.

I'm on record as being on the verge of going crazy because I'm so rudderless regarding this FOs direction with this draft.

I just happen to think that a) Carson Wentz is going to be a special QB even as a rookie and b) Wentz would be extra special as a Ram.

I don't even know if the Rams draft a QB in any round let alone the first, so my take is mine alone.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
When Fisher and Sneed took over they thought they had a franchise QB and built the team accordingly. But they realized a little late they didn't.
So now they have to scramble to find one or accept lower expectations of play.Meanwhile all the good draft picks hit FA year by year, and since they can't keep them all so they have to draft even better to maintain the status quo as they try to obtain that one guy that can be the QB,
5 year rule. Hard to be a really good team over 5 years without a reboot at the end. Unless you have that franchise guy to carry you through it.