Ram Notes: Rookies Havenstein, Brown Rarin' to Go/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ram notes: Rookies Havenstein, Brown rarin' to go
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e8a1c393-8756-52ea-8ad3-bf27f05a5fd0.html

Jamon Brown is ready to play some football.

“This is what you dream of when you grow up playing ball,’’ Brown, a rookie guard, said following practice Wednesday at Rams Park. “Sunday for me ... I’m beyond grateful. I feel like we’ve done a good body of work to this point, from OTAs, in camp and through the preseason. Going up against our D-line in practice every day has definitely prepared us.

“I can’t wait.’’

The Rams open the season Sunday, hosting two-time defending NFC champion Seattle at noon.

Brown, a third-round draft pick from Louisville, sat out the exhibition finale because of a sprained ankle and is the probable starter at left guard. The starter at right tackle, Rob Havenstein, also is set to make his NFL debut. Havenstein, from Wisconsin, was drafted in the second round.

“I’m very excited and looking forward to getting out there for the first time,’’ Havenstein said. “I just want play with confidence and try to build on the positives so far.

“You’re always going to have things to work on, to clean up, but overall I feel pretty good. At the end of the day, it’s football, only now the guys we’re up against are bigger, stronger and faster than they were in college.’’

Havenstein continued: “I don’t want to say it’s just another game — that doesn’t do the Seahawks justice. But for my purposes, being a rookie, my approach is to try and slow things down and really focus on what I need to do to make each play work.’’

Brown has had to make two key transitions in the NFL — moving from tackle to guard and then from the right to the left.

“You go from playing on an island to a phone booth,’’ he said of the tackle-to-guard move. “Everything happens a little quicker inside, so you just have to be more precise as far as your technique.’’

The challenge of moving from right to left, he said, is more mental than physical.

“You have to find a way to flip things in your head,’’ he said. “You hear a play and your first thought is that you’re on the front side of the play and then you realize that, no, you’re on the backside. Just a matter of making sure you’re focused.’’

SAFFOLD PROGRESSING

After undergoing surgery on his left shoulder in the offseason, right guard Rodger Saffold hurt his right shoulder in the first series of the team’s exhibition opener at Oakland and did not play against Tennessee, Indianapolis and Kansas City.But he says he is “absolutely’’ playing on Sunday.“It felt really good today,’’ he said Wednesday. “It felt good punching. I’m still working on it heavy because I’ve got to make sure I get this thing feeling as comfortable as possible for Sunday.’’

INJURY REPORT

The initial injury report of the season for the Rams includes just three players. Running back Tre Mason (hamstring) and linebacker Daren Bates (knee) did not practice. Running back Todd Gurley (knee) was limited.For the Seahawks, linebacker Mike Morgan (hamstring) has been ruled out, with running back Marshawn Lynch (not injury related), tight end Cooper Helfet (knee) and backup quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (ankle) being limited.And strong safety Kam Chancellor, who remains a holdout, won’t play. Dion Bailey is to start in Chancellor’s absence.

CAPTAINS NAMED

Voted on by the players, the Rams named their captains for the season — quarterback Nick Foles on offense, middle linebacker James Laurinaitis and defensive end Robert Quinn on defense and punter Johnny Hekker and linebacker Daren Bates on special teams.Coach Jeff Fisher said the voting on defense and special teams was tight and that he elected to go for two captains instead going to another vote.It’s the fourth season as captain for Laurinaitis, a seventh-year pro from Ohio State.

RAM-BLINGS

Fisher is considering changing the team’s league-mandatory weekly day off from Tuesday to Thursday this season. But it won’t start until next week.Thursday “we’re going to do some things, but we’re not going to have a full-speed practice,’’ the coach said. “All the research is showing us that it might make more sense to take some time off and rest and recover closer to the game as opposed to Monday (or) Tuesday.’’• Brandon Dixon, a defensive back from Northwest Missouri State, has been signed to Seattle’s practice squad. Originally drafted by the Jets in 2014, Dixon played in 14 games with Tampa Bay last year, finishing with nine tackles, two pass defenses and an interception.

• According to the latest NFL Players Association figures, the Rams have $6.7 million in salary-cap room following the cut to 53 players.

• Former Rams defensive end Gerald Rivers, who played in two games and recorded one tackle here in 2013 and has also been with Jacksonville, Miami and Denver, was signed to the New York Giants practice squad.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I would expect them to be excited, to say all the right things...However, I didn't see much if anything to make me have confidence in this line...I didn't see much effective run blocking or pass protection...Neither was horrible, just not anything to write home about...My biggest hope is that Morpheous gave them all the right pill this week !!!!!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pretty impressive for Foles to be voted captain right out the gate like that. Speaks very well to the effect he has had in the locker room and backs up all the reports of how well he has taken charge of this offensive team.

I probably put more emphasis on the leadership stuff than most fans, so extremely glad to see that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sure hope they stop the Hawks D from killing Foles..thatd be good.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, and away we go...All of us will be holding a breath at times, however, let's hope the offensive line can remain injury free and play many games together. GROB needs to step up and get a clue at times he looks lost out there, in fact, Brown who's a rookie seems more poised and more aware on what's going on around him...No more excuses Gentlemen, go out and win the damn game and blow them off the line of scrimmage!

Athos

Legend
Maybe I'm alone but Brown was my favorite oline pick. I think I may have mocked him a few times in the later rounds.

I think he ends up being a very good OG for us with the shot at some pro bowls down the line in his career.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The only way the line gets better, is to play meaningful games...TOGETHER...Continuity....I believe in Snisher...I gotta remain optimistic...I hear/read about others ready to doubt, but not me....Sunday it begins...I am worried about Saffold's health...his shoulder looked like it just popped out..or something...Why the secrecy? Makes me go hmmm....I have no doubt the rookies are gonna get er done...Especially in the run game...Next, Foles needs our first couple play action passes to hit...No under/over throws...Offense should be fine...It really can't be worse...Seriously.
Havenstein has the toughest job...The defensive end is usually a monster...I'm gonna love to see him go against Frank Clark...Should be a battle...and that loud mouth Bennett....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think our OL might pleasantly surprise this year. Even on opening day vs the Seahawks.

Here's my thinking...

Saffold has been missing in all preseason games, other than 4 plays. I predict that his presence will have a significant positive impact for both Hav and Barnes. Saffold played RG at a very, very high level in '13, if you recall.

Barnes is now the starting C. No more revolving door at that position. Overall play at C should be much improved over what we saw in preseason. Let the gelling begin!

Hav and JB are still rookies and will have their growing pains, but their respective college production should give us optimism for their growth curve. Hell, JB seems to be taking to OG at this level like a duck takes to water.

GRob is still learning, but his ceiling is so high. He has flashes that are jaw dropping. For example, I was re watching the '14 Redskin game last night. I saw GRob give a two handed quick punch that not only stopped the DE, but literally knocked him off his feet. A hand punch pancake block!

So there it is. Saffold is the glue and the key early on. I see a very bright future for this OL. The only real question in my mind is just how soon they gel together and fulfill their promise. C'mon Mr Synergy!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, and away we go...All of us will be holding a breath at times, however, let's hope the offensive line can remain injury free and play many games together. GROB needs to step up and get a clue at times he looks lost out there, in fact, Brown who's a rookie seems more poised and more aware on what's going on around him...No more excuses Gentlemen, go out and win the damn game and blow them off the line of scrimmage!
Nah... my lungs will be fine.

My liver, on the other hand, may be in jeopardy! :ROFLMAO:

Seattle will be a very stout first test of these young boys. As others have said, I hope they don't get Foles killed.
Go Rams!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Louis Riddicks was just bashing the o-line, especially G-Rob on nfl in$ders....Effing hack....wtf, did we cut him when he played? Anybody know how to pull up that piece on nfl.com or youtube?

espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/119755/rams-banking-on-revamped-run-game-to-get-in-the-zone

• i

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After Frank Cignetti took over as the St. Louis Rams new offensive coordinator early this offseason, he promised that there'd be some changes coming.

With former tight ends coach Rob Boras promoted to assistant head coach/offense with a focus on the run game, the Rams offered a clear glimpse at who they are hoping to become offensively. The emphasis and devotion to creating a run game that can move the chains, control the clock and offer quarterback Nick Foles opportunities to make plays down the field became more clear in the NFL draft when the Rams selected running back Todd Gurley No. 10 overall and followed with four offensive linemen.

On Sunday, the Rams will lift the curtain on their new-look offense against the daunting Seattle Seahawks defense after a preseason in which they once again took a vanilla approach to play calling.

“We went into the preseason with thoughts about what we wanted to get done before we even played a game," Cignetti said. "We looked at it and said, ‘Hey we get four preseason games, what do we want to do in each game?’ from a standpoint of a run plan, a protection plan and a pass game plan.”

Benny Cunningham, who rushed for 246 yards and three TDs in 2014, could be the man of the moment for the Rams. Michael Thomas/Getty Images
While Cignetti has installed some tweaks all over the offense, it's the changes made to the run game that will perhaps be the biggest factor in whether the Rams can have more success offensively in the first season with Cignetti at the helm.

"It’s important for everything we do as an offense," rookie guard Jamon Brown said. "Establishing the run early allows us once we get to the pass downs to be able to do what we’re trying to do and that’s convert those pass downs, those third downs. If we have positive yards on first and second down, it makes it easier for us on third downs. So establishing the run early is going to be very important for us and I think we’ve got the guys up front that are ready to get down and get dirty a little bit and open some holes for our backs to do our thing."

To be sure, the Rams aren't completely overhauling the offense or the run game. In addition to some of the power man-blocking concepts they've used in recent years, they intend to add more outside zone plays to the mix.

For the offensive line, outside zone concepts ask them to move laterally and push defenders to the side to open cutback lanes. That means they have to be diligent about moving fast to make things happen, especially as they adjust to lining up in a three-point stance on a consistent basis.

"If you are coming from a team that runs the read option and all those things in a two-point stance, it is a major adjustment," offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said. "That’s a big adjustment for these guys. Even from high school, some of these guys have never put their hand in the dirt."

For the running back, his task is fairly simple on the surface. His job is to find a hole, make one cut and go. It has been a staple of the Seahawks over the past few years and comes with one important prerequisite: patience.

"I feel like with this scheme, it’s more patience," running back Benny Cunningham said. "You have got to be real patient and trust everybody. It’s not a lot of difference but the outside zone we are doing now, I feel like it’s just about being patient."

From the Rams' perspective, the adjustment shouldn't be anything they can't handle though they are also charged with the task of getting off to a fast start despite some moving personnel pieces. With Tre Mason (hamstring) and Gurley (knee) recovering from injuries, the Rams will likely look to Cunningham to jumpstart the offense.

Cunningham said he played in a scheme with a lot of outside zone at Middle Tennessee State and though he had to relearn it this offseason, it has come back fairly easily. According to Cunningham, the mantra for all Rams runners this offseason has been "slow to, fast through" the hole as a way of reminding themselves to be patient.

In two years with the Rams, Cunningham has not started a game and had double-digit carries in a game only once. But if his opportunity arises against a Seattle defense that held the Rams to just 3.13 yards per carry in two meetings last year, Cunningham knows it won't be easy but that he must take advantage of the chance.

"Anytime you get the opportunity to kind of remind the team how valuable you can be, you try to look forward to those opportunities," Cunningham said.

As for the offensive linemen, Rob Havenstein said Wisconsin did a little bit of outside zone when he was in college but the Badgers were more inside zone and power. Those will still be part of the Rams' attack in 2015, but Havenstein said he's adjusted well to new concepts.

Brown said he did a lot of zone in college at Louisville so it hasn't been much of a change.

"It helped me make that transition to this level being able to do that in college and how often we did it helped me," Brown said. "So really, I’m just trying to use the tools I learned in college, maybe tweak them a little bit to make it so I can do it at the NFL level and then go."

If the line and the backs can make it work early, it would go a long way toward helping the Rams' offense become what they envisioned when the offseason began.

Last edited: