Ram Games - Could-Win vs. Should-Win

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FLramFAN

Rookie
I've gone in to this season thinking only the AZ game was a "should-win" game to this point.

ATL was a game I thought they "could" win. The fact is that they really could have if they'd played even 40 minutes of solid football instead of only 30.

Dallas is a game I thought they "could" win and actually thought they "would" win but it wasn't in my "should-win" category.

If the game tomorrow against the 9ers were on the road, I'd give the Rams no chance, after last weeks dismal performance and the 1/2-game played against the Falcons. But, at home, this falls in to my "could-win" category.

What's interesting to me is that at the start of this season, I thought there were far more "should-wins" than I now believe there really are. But... I've always said that the team has to come out 2-2 from the first 4 games to have a realistic chance to compete for a wildcard spot.

I think a win against the 9ers tomorrow could be a huge boost to the confidence of this team. But I think that's only true if they prove they can play a physical brand of football on BOTH sides of the line.

While I'm not sold on the Rams this year as a play-off team, and I wasn't before the season started, a win tomorrow could help to build the moral, nearly eliminate the 9ers from any possible play-off contention and send the team on a positive path this year and hopefully as a legit contender next year.

That said, I think next year's additions need to be established veterans. I'd still trade a first round pick for guy like Vincent Jackson or Trent Richardson. Being the youngest team over and over is not going to result in much more than giving us fans a reason for them to fail year after year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So you're giving us a definite possibility of a firm maybe?

I'll take it I guess.

FLramFAN

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thordaddy said:
Well!
That was uplifting

I've never understood a reply like this, in any forum.

One would assume you have an issue with the post and your reference to my post being "uplifting" reflects a level of sarcasm.

Other than the fact that this is pretty much an open forum, where any person, regardless of intelligence level which, includes myself, can respond to a post: Why would you even waste a minute of your time replying in a manner that brings nothing to the table?

If you don't like something I, or someone else has posted, why not have the courage to challenge the post with some form of intellect in your response? Or... just ignore it and move on if you can't add to it in one way or another.

FLramFAN

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand the comments suggesting my OP was wishy-washy. In a certain sense, it's what's I wanted. It's really how I think of this team, this year.

The point I guess I was trying to make is that I, personally didn't know what to expect going in to this season after the improvement of last season, but once again being the youngest team in the NFL this season.

I love the fact that I'm seeing most games this year as "could-wins" because it's been so long that I've thought this way.

However, I was hoping that there would be a feeling at game 3 that there would be more "should-wins" the rest of this season. But the day before game #4, there's not that feeling.

However, a nice win tomorrow, against a hated rival that was in last season's Super Bowl, could be a huge confidence booster to the team and fans alike

I hope this better states my point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
FLramFAN said:
I understand the comments suggesting my OP was wishy-washy. In a certain sense, it's what's I wanted. It's really how I think of this team, this year.

The point I guess I was trying to make is that I, personally didn't know what to expect going in to this season after the improvement of last season, but once again being the youngest team in the NFL this season.

I love the fact that I'm seeing most games this year as "could-wins" because it's been so long that I've thought this way.

However, I was hoping that there would be a feeling at game 3 that there would be more "should-wins" the rest of this season. But the day before game #4, there's not that feeling.

However, a nice win tomorrow, against a hated rival that was in last season's Super Bowl, could be a huge confidence booster to the team and fans alike

I hope this better states my point.
Well obviously momentum through the first three games would dictate how people would feel about the fourth, but I don't think anyone thought we would (realistically) be 3-0 before facing the niners. I do have a good feeling about this one though. Fisher has been known to have full metal jacket meltdowns with his entire team after poor outings, and we're catching the niners at a really bad time (for them) with so many injuries and what would presumably be pretty shaky confidence after all that's transpired.

When I looked at the schedule before the season, I thought AZ was a win, ATL was a loss, and I wasn't real confident about facing Dallas who always plays us well. That was a toss-up for me. I did have the Rams winning at home against SF and JAX, so I'm gonna stay with that feeling because nothing has happened that would make me feel otherwise. Not even what happened last week. I feel better about crunching that tape as much as I did because I saw things that can easily be corrected if the players take it upon themselves to honestly look at their mistakes and take full ownership of them. This team has resolve, so I'm not worried about it.

How's that?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
FLramFAN said:
Thordaddy said:
Well!
That was uplifting

I've never understood a reply like this, in any forum.

One would assume you have an issue with the post and your reference to my post being "uplifting" reflects a level of sarcasm.

Other than the fact that this is pretty much an open forum, where any person, regardless of intelligence level which, includes myself, can respond to a post: Why would you even waste a minute of your time replying in a manner that brings nothing to the table?

If you don't like something I, or someone else has posted, why not have the courage to challenge the post with some form of intellect in your response? Or... just ignore it and move on if you can't add to it in one way or another.
OK FL lemme just say this,it was an effort to inject some levity into a dark thread, we kinda do that stuff round here,if you "don't understand" that sort of post maybe my explanation helps.
I also don't understand WHY some people insist upon negativity ,DO I have misgivings about this season ?certainly ,but the insistence upon hammering the forum with them is something I've never seen a purpose for.

Somehow statements like this

"If the game tomorrow against the 9ers were on the road, I'd give the Rams no chance"

and this

" Being the youngest team over and over is not going to result in much more than giving us fans a reason for them to fail year after year"

just seem intent upon inflicting misery, starting threads to do it seem more so.

Your displeasure is noted but I do object with your statement that my post
" brings nothing to the table?"

If someone got a laugh from it that was feeling down after your post,I think it brought a lot"to the table".
BTW if you look at the thread about phrases we hate,that's one I really hate .

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Well, Thor, that response brought a lot to the table! Blue font needed.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
rhinobean said:
Well, Thor, that response brought a lot to the table! Blue font needed.
It's what I bring,what did you ?

It's really easy to do the blue font BTW all ya do is hi-lite the text and click on the color palate to the right

X has some other posting tips here :http://ramsondemand.com/viewforum.php?f=35

If there's anything else I can help ya with ,lemme know :cool: