Ram Fan Passes On

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackKirby

UDFA
Name
JackKirby
I had a tough day today, my friends. On Sunday night the weekend of the wild-card playoff games, I got a call from Joey. His father Joe passed away. He was only 45-years old.
I met Joe at a sports bar in 1995, the Rams' first year in St. Louis. There was an 18-year difference between us. I was 42 at the time and Joe was a mere babe in the woods, only 24 years of age. But we would go wild and crazy watching our Rams together. A couple of years later my mom who had DirecTV at her Townhouse in Woodland Hills, CA and she agreed to let Joe and I pitch in for the cost of Sunday Ticket--only 40 bucks apiece at the time. Then when my Condo's Homeowners Assoc. permitted satellites up on the roof, I got Sunday Ticket and Joe and I and and Joey who was born in 2000 and Joe's wife Sara and our dads would watch all the games together. My dad had been a Ram fan since--are you ready--since 1949. He bought season tickets in 1951. I was born in 1953 and started going to the games in 1965 (was exclusively a Dodger and baseball fan until then). Of course we kept the season seats until the Rams departed for the Midwest. My dad and Joe were over-the -top Ram fans and we had great fun together watching the games. We were there for our run to the Super Bowl in 1999-2000 and two years later as well.

Another story for another day but Joe met Laurie Shaw, John Shaw's wife, at an In-N-Out Burger in the Valley and they struck up a close friendship. She invited Joe and me to the NFL Championship game in 2002 against the Eagles and a four years ago we also sat in John's suite when the Rams played the Raiders at Oakland.
In the 2000 seat, she gave us 40-yard-line seats at San Francisco and we drove the Niner fans crazy.

Joe and I watched about 80% of Ram games together. Joe contracted Cirrhosis of the LIver (Lived life on the Wild Side--and after a couple years of suffering, he collapsed at home with his son by his side. Joey called 911 but the paramedics couldn't revive him.

Today was the memorial service at his church and my wife Marsha and I attended. Laurie Shaw was also there as well as about 50 others. The casket was open and I had to see Joe one more time. He lay there wearing his Ram cap and Ram Jacket I touched him, put my hand over my heart and told him I loved him. Never saw a dead body before; it was almost as if he was made of clay. I gave his dad a Ram towel and asked that he place it in the coffin.

Aside: Two days after Joe's death came the official announcement that the Rams are moving back to Los Angeles. As Laurie told me: "Brutal."

Love you forever, Joe--and if there is a Paradise--I 'll see you when I get there where you me and my dad can watch Ram games forever.

Steve R

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Now that's a true Rams fan. My condolences to you, Joe's family, and Joe's friends.
May our fellow brother rest in peace.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I had a tough day today, my friends. On Sunday night the weekend of the wild-card playoff games, I got a call from Joey. His father Joe passed away. He was only 45-years old.
I met Joe at a sports bar in 1995, the Rams' first year in St. Louis. There was an 18-year difference between us. I was 42 at the time and Joe was a mere babe in the woods, only 24 years of age. But we would go wild and crazy watching our Rams together. A couple of years later my mom who had DirecTV at her Townhouse in Woodland Hills, CA and she agreed to let Joe and I pitch in for the cost of Sunday Ticket--only 40 bucks apiece at the time. Then when my Condo's Homeowners Assoc. permitted satellites up on the roof, I got Sunday Ticket and Joe and I and and Joey who was born in 2000 and Joe's wife Sara and our dads would watch all the games together. My dad had been a Ram fan since--are you ready--since 1949. He bought season tickets in 1951. I was born in 1953 and started going to the games in 1965 (was exclusively a Dodger and baseball fan until then). Of course we kept the season seats until the Rams departed for the Midwest. My dad and Joe were over-the -top Ram fans and we had great fun together watching the games. We were there for our run to the Super Bowl in 1999-2000 and two years later as well.

Another story for another day but Joe met Laurie Shaw, John Shaw's wife, at an In-N-Out Burger in the Valley and they struck up a close friendship. She invited Joe and me to the NFL Championship game in 2002 against the Eagles and a four years ago we also sat in John's suite when the Rams played the Raiders at Oakland.
In the 2000 seat, she gave us 40-yard-line seats at San Francisco and we drove the Niner fans crazy.

Joe and I watched about 80% of Ram games together. Joe contracted Cirrhosis of the LIver (Lived life on the Wild Side--and after a couple years of suffering, he collapsed at home with his son by his side. Joey called 911 but the paramedics couldn't revive him.

Today was the memorial service at his church and my wife Marsha and I attended. Laurie Shaw was also there as well as about 50 others. The casket was open and I had to see Joe one more time. He lay there wearing his Ram cap and Ram Jacket I touched him, put my hand over my heart and told him I loved him. Never saw a dead body before; it was almost as if he was made of clay. I gave his dad a Ram towel and asked that he place it in the coffin.

Aside: Two days after Joe's death came the official announcement that the Rams are moving back to Los Angeles. As Laurie told me: "Brutal."

Love you forever, Joe--and if there is a Paradise--I 'll see you when I get there where you me and my dad can watch Ram games forever.

Steve R

Sorry about your loss. My prayers for you and his family. Brutal. As you say.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I lost my dad-Rams fan and former LA season ticket holder- in August. He would have been so excited about the move.

But the bigger story is how important it is for us to live for our families. God rest your friend Joe.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Thanks for sharing your story.
I'm sorry for you loss.

JackKirby

UDFA
Name
JackKirby
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry about your loss. My prayers for you and his family. Brutal. As you say.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I lost my dad-Rams fan and former LA season ticket holder- in August. He would have been so excited about the move.

But the bigger story is how important it is for us to live for our families. God rest your friend Joe.

JackKirby

UDFA
Name
JackKirby
Thanks for your condolences everyone. I really appreciate it. In a few weeks I'll send Joe's dad a text and link him to this blog.

Lost my dad in 2009. He was in his mid-eighties, though and lived a full life. He too would have loved to see the Rams back in LA but we still cheered for them in St. Louis.

Joe and I have a million Ram stories: Here's one.

In our first playoff game in 10 years, the Rams hosted the Vikings at the Dome in St. Louis. We were down at halftime--and for me and my dad it was like "here we go again" against our old playoff nemesis. But then to begin the 2nd half, the Vikings kick off and Tony Horne eludes a tackle, shakes off another, finds a seam and off he goes. I was the only one watching. Everyone thought it was still halftime but I remembered halftime had been shortened that year to 12 minutes. I was screaming my head off. "Go Tony, Go" "Fight Back Rams" Joe was on the kitchen-wall phone, dropped it in mid-sentence and runs into the room. My dad was in the front yard and he comes running in the living room and soon all of were yelling like crazy. Lisa, Joe's sister, was in her room and she opens the door and comes running out in her cute little pajamas and yells: "Are you guys having a shouting contest out here?" Joe would tell that story over-and-over-and-over again--ad nauseam.

Remember the old TV Crime Noir Show: "Naked City": To paraphrase: There are a million Rams stories. This has been one of them.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. My thoughts and prayers go out to both your families.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Very moving. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad you got to know Joe and enjoy the Rams together.

The NFL might not be perfect, but really this game is about the connections we make with others.... and that is a beautiful thing and it makes life a little sweeter......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sorry for your loss, Jack. Lots of great memories to get you through this time, and you're right .... you'll meet up again and pick right up where you left off.

Ram65

Legend
Jack, Great Ram memories you and Joe shared together. Sorry for the loss of your friend. Best wishes for all of Joe's family and friends.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Really sorry for your loss Jack. Way too young to lose someone - that's for sure. Best to you and his family.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks for sharing. Peace to you and Joey. Joe will definitely have a front row seat to the Rams next Super Bowl Championship.

JackKirby

UDFA
Name
JackKirby
Again, Thanks all for your heartfelt comments. They really help.

Joe and I came from entirely different backgrounds; he grew up in the shadow of Dodger Stadium in Echo Park. He was a second generation Mexican-American and bi-lingual his entire life (which made for some funny moments which I'll share later). He got involved in gangs early in life and he even was shot in the ankle. He showed me the scar. In high school though he went out for the football team, made the squad as a linebacker and eventually traded the camaraderie of the gang life for that of the gridiron. He had been a Steeler fan until the 1979 season when he started watching all the Ram games on TV and loved it when the Rams made it to their first Super Bowl that season. Joe had a great memory and to his dying day he could recite word-
by-word the entire voice over of the official Super Bowl IV video. ("Waddy was open, Ray.") Me--I grew up in suburbia in North Hollywood (now Valley Village).

While Joe was a devout born-again fundamentalist Christian, I was Jewish, had a Bar-Mitzvah and belonged to a local religiously conservative Temple (as opposed to Reform or Orthodox). Joe's entire family was politically conservative; my family liberal Jews. Heck, my mom and dad both voted for Adlai Stevenson against Eisenhower. And we all voted for George McGovern--the anti Vietnam war candidate. Joe joined the US Air Force and did a tour of duty in the 1st Gulf War. Last season at Dodger Stadium Joe was honored by the team as the veteran of the day. It was a great honor for him and he personally invited me. It was a momentous occasion for all. I grew up on a cul-de-sac in which 90% of the residents were Jews.

Joe's political hero was Ronald Reagan; mine were Norman Thomas and Eugene Debs.

Poles apart--and yet we were best of friends because of the Rams. We loved the team so much that though our backgrounds were entirely different, we loved the Rams--and that's all that mattered.

Love you, forever, Joe and Go Rams!!

JackKirby

UDFA
Name
JackKirby
Again, Thanks all for your heartfelt comments. They really help.

Joe and I came from entirely different backgrounds; he grew up in the shadow of Dodger Stadium in Echo Park. He was a second generation Mexican-American and bi-lingual his entire life (which made for some funny moments which I'll share later). He got involved in gangs early in life and he even was shot in the ankle. He showed me the scar. In high school though he went out for the football team, made the squad as a linebacker and eventually traded the camaraderie of the gang life for that of the gridiron. He had been a Steeler fan until the 1979 season when he started watching all the Ram games on TV and loved it when the Rams made it to their first Super Bowl that season. Joe had a great memory and to his dying day he could recite word-
by-word the entire voice over of the official Super Bowl IV video. ("Waddy was open, Ray.") Me--I grew up in suburbia in North Hollywood (now Valley Village).

While Joe was a devout born-again fundamentalist Christian, I was Jewish, had a Bar-Mitzvah and belonged to a local religiously conservative Temple (as opposed to Reform or Orthodox). Joe's entire family was politically conservative; my family liberal Jews. Heck, my mom and dad both voted for Adlai Stevenson against Eisenhower. And we all voted for George McGovern--the anti Vietnam war candidate. Joe joined the US Air Force and did a tour of duty in the 1st Gulf War. Last season at Dodger Stadium Joe was honored by the team as the veteran of the day. It was a great honor for him and he personally invited me. It was a momentous occasion for all. I grew up on a cul-de-sac in which 90% of the residents were Jews.

Joe's political hero was Ronald Reagan; mine were Norman Thomas and Eugene Debs.

Poles apart--and yet we were best of friends because of the Rams. We loved the team so much that our backgrounds were entirely different. We loved the Rams--and that's all that mattered.

Love you, forever, Joe and Go Rams!!