Ram Bytes: The Trade Market For No. 2 Overall Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bernie Miklasz
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_996fe7b9-34dc-5b73-97b6-ab010428daa7.html

The Rams hold the No. 2 and No. 13 overall picks in the 2014 NFL Draft.

It's too early to line up the board with a firm listing of where the best prospects will be ranked — or where they are most likely headed.

But if the Rams are looking to trade down from the No. 2 overall spot to pick up an extra draft choice or two, the scenario seems promising.

Here's why: scanning several early accountings of team "needs" for the draft, it appears that several teams will be wanting a pass rusher or quarterback. If that turns out to be true, then there could be a lot of competition to move up into the Rams' No. 2 spot. Or as other teams explore their 'Plan B' options, the Rams' 13th overall selection could have trade-up appeal.

I won't bore you with a bunch of team-needs lists. But for the sake of using one for reference, let's go with the breakdown offered by Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com. He was a former scout that worked for NFL teams including the Baltimore Ravens. I have found Jeremiah to be a sensible guy.

Anyway...

According to Jeremiah's rundown, here are the teams that own the picks behind the Rams' No. 2 that could covet South Carolina edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney — who is probably most talented player in the 2014 draft class.

I list the teams in order of current selection:

* No. 3, Jacksonville. The Jaguars finished tied for 31st for the fewest sacks in the league this season, with 31. They had the third-lowest percentage of pass plays against them that resulted in sacks. But the Jags need help in so many areas I'd doubt that they'd want to sacrifice a pick or picks to move up one spot; if anything this could be a trade-down profile.

* No. 6, Atlanta: The Falcons defense seemed old, tired and worn in 2013. That prompted ATL owner Arthur Blank to go public with the opinion that his team needs to be tougher next season. The Falcons had only 32 sacks in '13, tied for the lowest amount in the league. They also had the eighth-lowest sack rate. The Falcons, who line up in a 4-3, had to rely on the blitz to generate a pass rush. And they did get a good inside push from defensive tackle Justin Babineaux. But among their defensive ends? Goodness. The best of the lot was Osi Umenyiora, who had 23 total QB pressures according to Pro Football Focus. As a group, Falcons defensive ends had only 32 combined QB pressures. For perspective, consider that Rams defensive ends combined for 203 pressures in 2013 (topped by All-Pro Robert Quinn's 91, and Chris Long's 63. And don't forget Williams Hayes' 31 pressures.)

I'm making a big fuss over Atlanta for two reasons: (1) they need a pass rusher in the worst way; (2) Rams GM Les Snead came to St. Louis after a long stint in the Atlanta front office and there's a positive dynamic between the Falcons and Rams' operations. That doesn't mean the Rams and Falcons could easily make a trade, but the relationship seemingly would help.

* No. 7, Tampa Bay: The Bucs were tied for ninth-lowest in sacks with 35. Their sack-percentage rate was also ninth lowest. New head coach Lovie Smith, who has final say in personnel affairs, has to be aching for a pass rusher. He had a good one (Kevin Carter) as defensive coordinator in St. Louis. And in 2010 as head coach of the Chicago Bears, Smith pushed for the Bears to sign free-agent pass rusher Julius Peppers away from Carolina. Which they did. Peppers got a six-year deal worth $91.5 million from Chicago.

* No. 8, Minnesota: The Vikings had 41 sacks, which was roughly middle of the pack. And also a bit misleading; the Vikes were tied for the ninth-lowest sack-percentage total. Not good, because teams in their division like to throw the ball.

* No. 9 Buffalo, and No. 11 Tennessee: Both teams, especially the Titans, could stand to juice up the rush at defensive end. The Bills did get 13 sacks from DE Kyle Williams but don't have much on the other side. I don't know if the Rams would want to go down that far, but it's hardly a stretch with Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher.

Of course, the Rams could decide that they must have Clowney to help intensify their assault on NFL quarterbacks. Defensive end is already established as the Rams' strongest position, but still ... Fisher is a defensive guy and Clowney could be scary good. (He could also be a scary risk.) And maybe the Houston Texans, who have the No. 1 overall choice, will draft Clowney instead of a QB. They did that once before, choosing DE Mario Williams when their fans were pining for QB Vince Young or RB Reggie Bush before the 2006 NFL draft.

What about the teams looking to draft a quarterback?

As of now, there are roughly four first-round candidates:

Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel, Central Florida's Blake Bortles, and Fresno State's Derek Carr. But the QB prospect list is still taking shape, and we've seen teams lose their minds and go ga-ga over quarterbacks based on combine workouts and individual auditions with teams. So it's hard to predict what could develop.

According to Jeremiah, the teams that need a young QB are Jacksonville (No. 3), Cleveland (No. 4), Oakland (No. 5), Minnesota (No. 8), and Tennessee (No. 11).

Again, lots of possibilities there for the Rams provided that they don't keep the No. 2 pick to take Clowney, an offensive tackle, a quarterback or a wide receiver.

I'd have to think that Snead and Fisher will be fielding some some trade calls before the 2014 draft.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie

…..

Legend
Bernie said:
Again, lots of possibilities there for the Rams provided that they don't keep the No. 2 pick to take Clowney, an offensive tackle, a quarterback or a wide receiver.

oh no he didnt....

iced

i pretty much see a trade down as their first options, depending on value of course...2nd would be watkins or clowney.. i think matthews would be a 3rd option, but this is only predicated on fisher's history and preference about o-lineman (never been his first choice).

I say watkins because they know they need help at skill positions and gave up a lot less year to get tavon austin.

clowney because this is fisher, who loves his d-linemen and a pass rush