Ram Bytes: The Gregg Williams defense is rolling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ram Bytes: The Gregg Williams defense is rolling
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_956e67f5-5675-51ae-9ef2-11c1f90a6f16.html

Good afternoon.

Here are some notes on my Rams' flip card:

1. Over their last five games, the Rams defense has played at the level we envisioned when coach Jeff Fisher hired Gregg Williams to as the defensive coordinator. It took the players a while to adjust to the Williams system, but it looks like the fellows have gotten comfortable.

Here's a list of where the Rams rank among NFL defenses in some key categories since Nov. 2 (five games):

- No. 1 in most takeaways, 13.

- No. 2 in sacks, 22.

- Tied for No. 2 in fewest touchdowns allowed from scrimmage, with six.

- No. 2 in rushing defense, 65 yards per game.

- No. 3 in allowing opponents a third-down conversion rate of 30.4 pct.

- No. 5 in average yards per rushing attempt, 3.39.

The Rams defense still has some problems in pass coverage. The most glaring example of that was San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers, who made it look easy in picking apart the Rams soft coverage from late in the second quarter through the rest of the game.

Because of Rivers' easy carving, I was disappointed by the play of the defense in that 27-24 loss to the Chargers. (And the Chargers also averaged 5.8 yards per rush in that one.) But looking at it in retrospect, the Rams limited the San Diego to two touchdowns from scrimmage. And the Rams' defense scored a TD on the pick-six INT by Janoris Jenkins. So the actual damage wasn't as bad as the numbers on the stat sheet.

Moreover, the Rams' average yield of 6.98 yards per passing attempt ranks 14th in the NFL since Nov. 2. So we're still talking about a slightly above-average rate there. Moreover, the Rams' harassment of quarterbacks -- exemplified by those 22 sacks -- is a factor in their total of seven interceptions over the last five games. Only four teams have more INTs over that time.

Here's the bottom line: the Rams have allowed an average of only 10.8 points from scrimmage over the past five games. And while it's always possible to improve, you can't ask for much more than that.

After a 1-4 start the Rams have gone 4-3, and the defensive turnaround is a prime factor in the better results.

After a slow start to the season, the Rams' defense is aggressive, disruptive and a pain in the neck, back and arse to face. And that's exactly what we anticipated with Williams in charge.

2. The reemergence of defensive end Robert Quinn has been a significant development for the defense. I don't pay attention to the pass-rush stats that come from the Rams' offices; I believe they're inflated. So I turn to Pro Football Focus for a more objective measure. And according to PFF, Quinn has nine sacks, five QB hits, and 17 QB hurries over his last seven games. That's 31 total pressures for Quinn in those seven contests.

3. We've talked about rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald a lot in this corner, and excuse me while I do it again. Donald is now 12 games into his first NFL seasons, and right now Pro Football Focus has him rated No. 1 among all NFL defensive tackles. Donald is ranked No. 2 in run stops, has six sacks and 28 QB pressures, and grades out better overall than Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy or any DT that you'd care to mention. And this young tiger is still learning the league ... imagine how Donald will play after he gains more experience. GM Les Snead and Coach Fisher hit it big when choosing Donald 13th overall in May's draft.

4. It's time to talk about (again) another of our favorite players on the 2014 Rams. That would be rookie cornerback E.J. Gaines, from Mizzou. And yes, we'd like Gaines, anyway -- just because of the Mizzou connection. But his performance has gone way beyond the scope of the obligatory local rooting interest. Gaines is getting better ... and better ... and better. According to Pro Football Focus, when opposing teams have targeted Gaines this season they have a passer rating of 77.6. And the quarterbacks have averaged 6.7 yards per passing attempt when going after Gaines. He's been beaten for one TD pass, and has two INTs. Based on the PFF rankings of pass coverage, Gaines is No. 20 among NFL cornerbacks. And check this out: PFF rates Gaines at No. 8 among NFL corners in run stops.

5. Look, I'm not suggesting that E.J. Gaines is the next Roger Wehrli, a great CB at Mizzou who was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame after a fabulous career with the NFL team in St. Louis. But what Gaines is doing here is awfully impressive. And we'd say that if Gaines was the 18th overall pick in the draft. But he was the 188th overall selection, chosen in the 6th round. And that only adds to the admiration we have for Gaines -- the player and the person.

6. The Rams apparently have found their slot receiver in Stedman Bailey. This is a small sample from PFF, but when Bailey runs a route from the slot, he's been targeted 10 times, and he's caught all 10 passes for 117 yards and a touchdown. That means the Rams' QB has a passer rating of 148.7 when they go to Bailey as a slot receiver. Overall, Bailey has been targeted 28 times this season and has 20 receptions. That 71.4 percent catch rate is very good.

7. A couple of weeks ago, we talked about the breakaway capability of rookie Rams running back Tre Mason. And after Mason's big game in the 52-0 win over Oakland, I can update update a statistic from Pro Football Focus. Mason has 569 yards rushing so far, and 257 of the 569 have come on runs that have gained 15+ yards. Among NFL backs that have played at least 25 percent of the snaps this season, Mason's breakaway percentage of 45.2 percent is the best in the league.

(Explanation: 45.2 percent of Mason's total yards have been accumulated on 15+ runs. That 89-yarder against Oakland certainly inflated Mason's percentage ... but even before that Mason had one of the top breakaway percentages in the NFL.)

8. I guess it's fair to say that the Rams won the RG III trade. We may write more on this later in the week; obviously the Rams have benefited from the draft-pick bonanza they received in exchange for the rights to select QB Robert Griffin III. Injuries have badly diminished the benched Griffin, who is 4-14 as a starter since the start of the 2013 season. But one aspect of the trade I didn't expect: neither Washington or St. Louis has an established franchise quarterback in place.

9. The Rams' offense scored six touchdowns from scrimmage in the win over the Raiders. Until then, the Rams' offense hadn't scored more than four TDs from scrimmage in a game since Fisher became coach in 2012.

10. In other words, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was rocking the house like Mad Mike Martz on Sunday.

Thanks for reading ...

-Bernie

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Sorry I know these posts usually contain a no-Bernie-bashing rule, but ... just when an opinion of Bernie couldn't get any lower he's now using PFF as his "facts".

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Gaines was just a flat out steal and will soften the blow if we lose Tru or JJ in a couple years.Mason has heart and runs with authority he will be a fixture here for years.This team is loaded with talent and will dominate the league for years.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I have to admit after my worryings earlier this season about Williams turning out to be the McDaniels of defense, that defense is looking GOOOOOOOD right now.

I will happily be wrong on that one.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
When he's not being a drama queen and bagging on the team, he is actually pretty good at digging up stats. Nice article. (I know you read our forum big B)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice note on Mason. As I've said at least once, I guarantee right now the Skins' defensive meetings have the F focused out of him. Mason is a game changer, a guy who can single handedly break a game open, and that is huge from the RB position.

This game alone we should see that effect, and hopefully Schotty is anticipating that, and planning to use it to his benefit.

Even better is the impact of Studman. Tavon is finally not going to be primarily focused all the time, he should be able to start consistently breaking a big play or two per game. Britt and Cook too, for that matter.

If Hill keeps the low mistake rate going, Rams should stomp all over the Skins because the Rams' defense can be counted on now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But we took a step back against the Chargers, now we're rolling? :confused:

Yeah no doubt. Sometimes we forget that it can also be other teams making plays. Chargers are a quality playoff-level team, I don't fault the Rams for not having a dominant outing against that offense statistically, it's gonna happen here and there. GW may be guilty of overlooking the return of their RB, not sure, but whatever.

As long as the overall week to week effort shows me the defense can be counted on, I'm good. And I'm confident now, finally, with this defense.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
For all the talk about SD and failing to stop a playoff team, we came within 1 bad OC call and a poor QB decision of beating them. They were very very lucky Schotty helped them so much on the last couple of plays.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, it took GW longer than we all expected, but we now have a top 5-10 D, don't we?

And what a huge assist to the O that now is. More TOP, better field position, more possessions due to defensive turnovers, etc.

Now, if can just get our O clicking at a similar level...

I suspect that our O will get the lion's share of offseason attention. I also suspect that the '15 version of the Rams will be a force to be reckoned with.

tonyl711

Starter
the defense is pretty much set, need a LB and a Safety IMO, get those and we should do nothing but get better.
the Offense needs a QB, OG and OC and they should be pretty good themselves, these young WRs seem to be finally playing up to their potential and that's playing with a back up QB, IMO we would be at least 7 to 10 points a game better with a healthy Bradford in there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Say what you will about Bernie
can-of-worms.jpg

Alan

Legend
Shoot! I forgot about the possible repercussions of saying that. Let's see if I can delete it.