Ram Bytes: Awful secondary must be fixed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_5b35dce8-0d86-56fd-9ff6-c785e9ae9bad.html

A quick hit on the Rams:

Looking ahead to next season: This year isn't over, but that's beside the point. I'm always looking at the current roster for weak areas that must be addressed when the Rams get into the offseason.

The team's most obvious need is cornerback. The Rams have simply been awful in the secondary in 2013. They've allowed a 67.2 percent completion rate, which ranks 31st among the 32 teams. They rank 30th in giving up 8.35 average yards per passing attempt. They are 25th in allowing an opponent passer rating of 95.5.

Cortland Finnegan was having a brutal season (in coverage) before his season-ending eye injury. Janoris Jenkins has regressed in his second season. The other second-year corner, Trumaine Johnson, has actually played pretty well overall. Rookie Brandon McGee is raw and ineffective. (Too soon to know if he can be a player.)

And don't even get us going on the safeties; there simply isn't much there, though rookie T.J. McDonald has a chance to develop into a good one.

The scary thing: this group has been shredded despite the presence of a rollicking pass rush generated by Robert Quinn, Chris Long and others. A great pass rush usually provides an immense boost to a defensive back, but the Rams' corners and safeties have been exploited anyway. To stop the bleeding, the Rams have to add at least two corners, maybe more, in time for 2014.

Related note: The Rams will have two first-round picks in the 2014 NFL Draft. The good news is that Washington continues to lose. Of course the Rams own Washington's first-rounder for 2014, as part of the Robert Griffin III deal. As of now, the Redskins' place among the 32 NFL teams translates into the fifth overall pick for St. Louis. (The Rams' own first-round pick is right around the middle, at No. 15.)

The Rams need the Redskins to keep losing. Here is Washington's remaining schedule:

Kansas City, home

Atlanta, road

Dallas, home

New York Giants, road

Thanks for reading …

Bernie

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Have to agree! More than 1 db is needed to get the defense to the level of the front 7. JMO!

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since I wrote about this a couple of months ago I obviously agree with you. I didn't say that in my post because I would have had to agree with Bernie and I've already done that once this year.:wow:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I refuse to take any article that uses the word "rollicking" ... seriously.

Sorry, Bernie.

Alan

Legend
It's hard to go wrong when you don't take Bernie seriously.:lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How you makin' out there, Albe? This getting a little easier for you yet?

Alan

Legend
The basics are there. I just have no clue what all the rest of the stuff does or is on this site. Sounds like lots of good stuff but I think I'll stick to the basics anyway.

Except maybe I'll try the pickem again next year. I'll try and last the whole year next time. :D

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Jenkins was dubbed as the best player on the team by a few during training camp but this season if his receiver so much as farts, he's been biting on it and going for the big play that doesn't exist. This was a criticism of him last season as well but it hasn't gone away. He's not going to be a number 1 CB for long in the NFL if he doesn't improve.

Johnson looks good to me plus he's got the size to stick it with the bigger guys he's marking. However, not convinced he's going to be a number 1 long term, just a good no.2 but that's by no means a bad thing and I'm happy to have him around for a long time. We're desperate for DB's and I trust Snisher to go out and get the right people in the draft.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The basics are there. I just have no clue what all the rest of the stuff does or is on this site. Sounds like lots of good stuff but I think I'll stick to the basics anyway.

Except maybe I'll try the pickem again next year. I'll try and last the whole year next time. :D

Try the ALERTS thing. I like it. It really helps get you to the good stuff.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
USC_logo.gif
Dion Bailey*, S/OLB, USC
Height: 6-0. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

11/9/13: Bailey has remained a play-maker despite moving back to safety. He's recorded three interceptions with 40 tackles, 2.5 tackles for a loss and five passes broken up in 2013.

8/18/13: The speedy and instinctive Bailey is a very good pass-defender. He was a good Will linebacker in Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 at USC in 2012, totaling 80 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, four interceptions and five passes broken up. Bailey had 81 tackles, two interceptions and two sacks as a freshman in 2011. He has ballhawk ability and is back to playing safety in 2013. If that doesn't go well, Bailey could add weight to play outside linebacker in the NFL. He is competing for a starting position.

Personal: Policy, planning and development major.

Louisville_logo.gif
Calvin Pryor*, S, Louisville
Height: 6-2. Weight: 208.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

11/9/13: Pryor has been a play-maker for Louisville this season. He has been a hard-hitting safety. The junior has 47 tackles, three interceptions, three passes broken up and two forced fumbles so far in 2013.

Pryor notched 100 tackles and five forced fumbles last year. He was a Second-Team All-Big East selection for that performance. Pryor broke into the lineup as a freshman in 2011 with 43 tackles, two forced fumbles and two interceptions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Fisher did fix this secondary.. Fisher put so much serious Ram capital and Ram resources into this secondary. Fisher's actions were .... (1)-New hire of DC Walton with major secondary back ground, (2)- One vet CB.. @ high cost 50 million UFA signing, (3)-Fisher has used four 2012/2013 draft picks THREE second day draft selections (1-2nd & 2-3rd rounders) plus ONE 5th rounder. (4)-Signed two vets former starting safeties in Stewart & Giordano. (5)- Signed 4 UDFA DB's in Daniels-Davis-Pointer & McLeod.

So after two years of Fisher's fixes how do we stand as far as on field performances????

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So after two years of Fisher's fixes how do we stand as far as on field performances????

Ready to continue building the team???? To say that it is fixed and leave it as is would not be what any team does. Some of those signings were obviously done with what was available both money and talent. With an understanding that there wold need to be additional changes in the coming off season.

Alan

Legend
max trying to lend a helping hand:
Try the ALERTS thing. I like it. It really helps get you to the good stuff.
I've looked at it several times but the font is to small for me to read and even when I use my magnifying glass and read one of them then what? I don't see the purpose of it. If there isn't a little blue ball next to a thread I'm going to read all the new stuff on it anyway.

BonifayRam with the $64,000 question:
Thus my complaints about Snisher's ability to judge talent.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Were playing a lot of freshmen and sophomores guys just sayin,experience is what's lacking not talent,JMO

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy boiling it down:
Were playing a lot of freshmen and sophomores guys just sayin,experience is what's lacking not talent,JMO
That's part of it for sure. Experience can't overcome a lack of talent though. We'll see what the future brings but I'm not as confident as you are that some of them will get much better.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I would have no issues skipping Gator's Louchiez Purifoy until round 3. He could have just looked bad due to the ongoing circus in Gainesville but I just do not think he is that good. No where close to being what Jenkins was when he was @ UFA.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would have no issues skipping Gator's Louchiez Purifoy until round 3. He could have just looked bad due to the ongoing circus in Gainesville but I just do not think he is that good. No where close to being what Jenkins was when he was @ UFA.
Seems like 6 or 7 possible CB in the first couple of rounds Walter has him listed as 4 right now. I like the size and speed not so sure on the character.