Raiders release QB Matt Schaub

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/16/raiders-release-qb-matt-schaub/

Raiders release QB Matt Schaub
Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 16, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptqyodiwnwm2yzzkownmn2ixnjc5m2nhnzk2ogqwotjm.jpeg
AP

As expected, the Raiders have removed a familiar name from the depth chart at quarterback.

Oakland has cut veteran Matt Schaub, the team announced Monday afternoon.

With Derek Carr set as the Raiders’ starting quarterback and Christian Ponder added as a backup, the 33-year-old Schaub’s roster spot was tenuous. He was set to make $5.5 million in salary this season, per NFLPA figures.

The Raiders traded a sixth-round selection to Houston last March for Schaub, who had previously been the Texans’ starter. While Schaub was the Raiders’ No. 1 quarterback in the exhibition slate, he struggled in the preseason, opening the door for Carr to take the job.

The question now is whether Schaub will land elsewhere. He has struggled to take care of the ball in recent seasons, and his lack of mobility and arm strength can be issues. Nevertheless, he does have seven seasons of starting experience to draw upon, and it’s possible he could be brought in to be a backup.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The guy threw for 4700 yards just 3 years ago and is now on the street. Amazing how this league works.

fancents86

Starter
Really don't understand how the dude tanked so fast. There's gotta be some 2012-2013 Shaub left in the tank.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
The guy threw for 4700 yards just 3 years ago and is now on the street. Amazing how this league works.
That's why they try to get paid as much as they can up front,but yeah this Qb seemed to have his future with the Texans firmly in hand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'm wondering if he is an upgrade over Keenum. There was a time when he was.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really don't understand how the dude tanked so fast. There's gotta be some 2012-2013 Shaub left in the tank.
I think there's plenty of 2013 Schaub left, and that's why he's out of the league...
Josh Freeman is another one. 4,000 yards and 27 Td in 2012 and out of the league a year later

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's amazing what achieving a record of throwing pick 6s in consecutive games does to the perception of said qb around the league.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's amazing what achieving a record of throwing pick 6s in consecutive games does to the perception of said qb around the league.

Yeah man that's what I'm saying. Like I can't believe a QB can go from throwing 20+ touchdowns and 4000 yards in 3 out of 4 seasons and just fall of a cliff. I'll never forget when we played Houston and he got hurt. The whole crowd was fucking cheering and couldn't wait to see Yates come in. Well what do you know the mofo threw a pick six on his first drive.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-tZNtb7fUNs

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah man that's what I'm saying. Like I can't believe a QB can go from throwing 20+ touchdowns and 4000 yards in 3 out of 4 seasons and just fall of a cliff. I'll never forget when we played Houston and he got hurt. The whole crowd was freaking cheering and couldn't wait to see Yates come in. Well what do you know the mofo threw a pick six on his first drive.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-tZNtb7fUNs

Yeah It's hard to explain.

Delholme was another. Randall Cunningham led the vikings to the then single season points scoring record then retired a couple of games into the next season because he had just lost it.

There are probably alot more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yeah It's hard to explain.

Delholme was another. Randall Cunningham led the vikings to the then single season points scoring record then retired a couple of games into the next season because he had just lost it.

There are probably alot more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Yeah, some guys just eventually lose it. Or even the opposite. How many people thought Doug Flutie would ever have success after 9 years away from league? Rich Gannon is another guy who ended his career on a high note after being extremely mediocre.