Raiders OC Bill Musgrave will not return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I just heard on SiriusXM NFL radio. They were the number 6 offense in the league. Makes you wonder what happened. I remember I wanted this offensive coordinator back when Jeff Fisher lost Brian Schottenheimer to Georgia. Your thoughts?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Does he have any health issues?

It used to be coaches died at their desks... not really kidding. Now, that's not seen as such a virtue (and rightly so)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
RotoWorld :

The Raiders are letting OC Bill Musgrave's contract expire.

Musgrave arrived in Oakland with a less-than-stellar offensive reputation, but the Raiders scored the second-most points in the AFC this season. It's a mildly-surprising decision, one NFL.com's Ian Rapoport hints could have been made to retain/promote QBs coach Todd Downing. Downing is just 36 years old. Musgrave will probably have to return to position-coach work.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 10 - 4:22 PM

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'd be interested to know how much of that offense was playcalling and how much was talent? Seemed like he did a great job but maybe most OCs could have succeeded there..

Definitely someone to look at if he meshes with the new HC.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RotoWorld :

The Raiders are letting OC Bill Musgrave's contract expire.

Musgrave arrived in Oakland with a less-than-stellar offensive reputation, but the Raiders scored the second-most points in the AFC this season. It's a mildly-surprising decision, one NFL.com's Ian Rapoport hints could have been made to retain/promote QBs coach Todd Downing. Downing is just 36 years old. Musgrave will probably have to return to position-coach work.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 10 - 4:22 PM
Raiders fans are saying that a lot of their success was because Carr had a lot of responsibility in the offense

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'd be interested to know how much of that offense was playcalling and how much was talent? Seemed like he did a great job but maybe most OCs could have succeeded there..

He must have done something right. Can you imagine Boras there? I'm sure Boras could have driven their offense, even with that talent, into the low 20's, if not the 30's.

If nothing else, Musgrave didn't screw it up - and something like that would be a big step forward for this franchise.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He must have done something right. Can you imagine Boras there? I'm sure Boras could have driven their offense, even with that talent, into the low 20's, if not the 30's.

If nothing else, Musgrave didn't screw it up - and something like that would be a big step forward for this franchise.

Well yeah, that's because Boras is probably the 32nd best OC in the league. Not hard to be better than that.

That's true though. I'm looking for better than "Didn't fuck it up" but he'd definitely be a step up and at the very least can be a stopgap if the new HC can't get his ideal guy immediately, say he has to wait a year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well yeah, that's because Boras is probably the 32nd best OC in the league. Not hard to be better than that.

I'd say 34th, when you add in Greg Olsen and Greg Roman, both of whom were fired during the season. And no, no blue font needed.

That's true though. I'm looking for better than "Didn't freak it up" but he'd definitely be a step up and at the very least can be a stopgap if the new HC can't get his ideal guy immediately, say he has to wait a year.

Yeah, same here, which is one reason why I'm rooting for either Shanahan or that guy in your avatar to be our next HC :)

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze

Good point, the Raiders have REALLY good position coaches and talent at QB, RB, and WR...not sure how much of that is Musgrave...

fearsomefour

Legend
The Raiders QB coach had been contacted by several teams about OC jobs. Musgrave contract was up and Oakland didn't want to lose the QB coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Never was a fan of Musgrave, but IMO, he'll be a QB Coach for somebody next year.