Raiders are making strides/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Raiders are making strides
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_69138c06-2ead-5321-819e-ecd133afa7c2.html

The Oakland Raiders were in the final minute of their first win of the season when second-year linebacker Sio Moore came up with a third-down sack of Kansas City quarterback Alex Smith.

That launched a much-publicized celebration between Moore and rookie linebacker Khalil Mack that went on and on and on.

But the game wasn’t over.

Veteran defensive end Justin Tuck eventually called timeout, a fourth-down pass from the Chiefs fell incomplete and the Raiders were able to snap a 16-game losing streak.

“It was just a weird play,” said Tuck, in his 10th NFL season. “I think they thought it was fourth-down and the game was over at that point, but it wasn’t. It’s a situation where you’ve got to kind of have cool heads for real. Luckily, I realized that it had just became fourth down and we needed a timeout, just to right the wrong there. Obviously, you like the enthusiasm from the young guys, but next time we just want it to be well placed.”

Tony Sparano, the Raiders interim head coach, agreed: “That’s been talked about, and talked about, and talked about. It should be, there’s no question about it, because it’s two young players and something to learn when you talk about situational football and awareness. Those two players, clearly, they understand, I never want to squash their enthusiasm. ... I want them to be enthusiastic like that and the atmosphere was electric at that point. I think they got caught up in the moment. It just teaches you that our game is a game where you’ve got to play at such a high level and you’ve got to concentrate in those situations, but yet you’re trying to play with a lot of enthusiasm and passion, so it’s a hard game to juggle.”

For the 1-10 Raiders, who take on the Rams (4-7) in a noon game Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome, that one play, at the end of a 24-20 Thursday night victory over the visiting Chiefs on Nov. 20, provides an interesting glimpse into an Oakland squad that relies as heavily on veterans such as Tuck, ageless defensive back Charles Woodson, defensive tackle Antonio Smith and tackles Donald Penn and Kalif Barnes as it does on gifted youngsters like Moore, Mack, guard Gabe Jackson, cornerback D.J. Hayden and rookie quarterback Derek Carr.

Sparano, who opened this season as the offensive line coach and assistant head coach, took over as head when Dennis Allen was fired following an 0-4 start. Since then, the Raiders have clearly made strides in recent competitive losses to San Diego (31-28 and 13-6), Arizona (24-13), Cleveland (23-13) and Seattle (30-24).

“I’ve seen us get better and better each week,” Sparano said. “I think our guys have played really hard.... I don’t ever question our players’ effort. We’re getting better. We’re getting better fundamentally. ...

“It’s never been a tough group to deal with. In fact, (working with this team), it’s probably one of the greatest pleasures I’ve had. These (veteran) guys have been in big games before. ... The biggest compliment I can give those players has been the focus that they’ve had because we haven’t won. It’s really easy sometimes as a veteran player to kind of look down the road a little bit, but our guys have never done that, not one day here. They just look at what’s in front of them and then enjoy competing, so that’s a real positive.’’

For a veteran like Tuck, who spent the first nine NFL seasons with the New York Giants, it’s been an adjustment. But, like Sparano, he’s sees progress.

“You definitely want to bring that winning tradition here,” said Tuck, a two-time All-Pro who helped the Giants to Super Bowl championships following the 2007 and 2011 seasons. “It hasn’t worked out that type of way in our first 11 games, but I think we’re learning. We’ve got a lot of young guys in key roles. ... I think this season has taught us a lot; hopefully it’s something that we can grow on heading into the future.”

Tuck appreciates Sparano’s “no-nonsense” approach.

“He really treats guys like men and he expects you to act like men,” said Tuck, who’s in the first year of a two-year, $11 million deal. “He’s been a game-changer for this team because obviously, we’ve got a lot of young guys on this team and he’s really challenged all of us to grow up.”

The future of the Oakland offense belongs to Carr, who engineered the first game-winning drive of his career against Kansas City as the Raiders moved 80 yards on 17 plays for the go-ahead score on a TD pass to James Jones with 1:42 to play.

Carr, an early second-round draft pick from Fresno State, set an NFL record for rookies with eight TDs in his first five starts. This season, he’s completing 59.1 percent of his passes for 2,249 yards with 14 touchdowns, nine interceptions and a passer rating of 76.7.

“I’ve seen a lot of young quarterbacks come in and kind of wean their way into the position,’’ Sparano said. “This guy started game one against the New York Jets and never really looked back. He’s a great leader by example. Loves football. He’s mature beyond his years (and) I’ve seen him improve in a lot of areas. Numbers are numbers — I get it — but when you’re looking at a young quarterback get through progressions like he does, it’s impressive. He gets the ball out of his hand fast and he can give a clear picture on the sideline; he can tell you exactly what he’s seeing out there. This kid’s ahead of the curve that way.’’

When asked about his team’s young quarterback, Tuck predicted greatness.

“I love Derek. He’s one of the most positive people I’ve ever seen,’’ the veteran defensive end said. “He never gets out of his element. Regardless of the situation, he’s just a cool, calm and collected dude. I definitely think he’s a future star in this league. I love being around him. His attitude about football is contagious and you need that at quarterback as a leader of your football team.’’