Raiderettes get paid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiderettes-get-1-25-mil-in-settlement-11136363.php

Raiderettes get $1.25 mil in settlement
By Vic Tafur

920x920.jpg

Oakland Raiderette Lacy T. is a plaintiff in a lawsuit accusing the Oakland Raiders of violating wage laws in paying their cheerleaders, photographed at her lawyers office in Oakland, CA
Photo: Michael Short, The Chronicle

The Raiderettes had reason to cheer Wednesday, as the the proceeds from a $1.25 million settlement was distributed to nearly 100 women who worked as cheerleaders for the Oakland Raiders

The lawsuit, the first filed on behalf of cheerleaders in the NFL, claimed the Raiders failed to pay their cheerleading squad minimum wage for the hours they worked, failed to pay overtime, and failed to reimburse thousands of dollars of incurred expenses from 2010-14.

1024x1024.jpg

Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle

“Our clients have now been paid the equivalent of minimum wage for all of the hours they worked and have been reimbursed for their out-of-pocket expenses,” attorney Sharon Vinick said in a statement from Levy Vinick Burrell Hyams LLP, the attorneys for the class members. “It is important to note that paying these women minimum wage doesn’t represent the value that these hard-working women bring to the Game Day Experience,”

Women who danced as Raiderettes for multiple seasons will receive over $20,000.

1024x1024.jpg

Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle

The class action suit was brought by Raiderettes Lacy T. and Sarah G., whose identities are protected. There were then similar lawsuits filed by members of other NFL dance squads, and teams have adjusted their pay practices.

“I never dreamed that my decision to find a lawyer and file a lawsuit would lead to the kind of sweeping changes we have seen for the women of the NFL,” Lacy T. said in the statement from her lawyers. “It’s pretty breathtaking. But as a mom, it makes me proud to know I’ve stood up for myself, other women, and my daughters.”

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
It's fucking ridiculous that in 2017 we need lawsuits to ensure people are paid appropriately.

Now all y'all have to do is pay servers properly and not leave it to the customer to tip them and you're back with the 21st century.

rdw

Pro Bowler
epzlamW.gif

Nah just kidding.. congrats ladies. That's like $12,500 a piece. I'm sure lawyers and taxes turn that into $12.50..

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's freaking ridiculous that in 2017 we need lawsuits to ensure people are paid appropriately.

Now all y'all have to do is pay servers properly and not leave it to the customer to tip them and you're back with the 21st century.

A sweaty dishing out advice on money, who'd have thought it?!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
It really is a shame they don't get paid more, but it's a lot harder to demand high wages if you are a non competitive athlete.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's freaking ridiculous that in 2017 we need lawsuits to ensure people are paid appropriately.

Yeah.
Most people don't want to pay $20 for an omelette plate.
A server can make almost nothing working at a slow bad restaurant or can make good money (a friend of my sons works as a waiter at a nice steak house and takes home about $7 K a month, has vacation time, benefits ect) working at an upscale place.
Like almost every line of work it all varies. Get a good set of skills and work at a good place.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think the pay scale is meant to discourage ladies from getting into this profession....
A server can make almost nothing working at a slow bad restaurant or can make good money (a friend of my sons works as a waiter at a nice steak house and takes home about $7 K a month, has vacation time, benefits ect) working at an upscale place.
Dayum!!!