Raheem Morris on David Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Apparently, Morris is happy with the progress David Long is making. That is indeed good news as it will make this secondary 4 maybe 5 deep at CB (depending upon how Tyler Hall looks). It's becoming more and more likely IMO that Darious Williams isn't expected to stay a Ram next year. I think Rochell moves into his spot. Rochell paired with Ramsey will be awesome. That said David Long's role will also be important so his development is important as he is signed through 2022.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sure would be nice if this is the year the light goes on for Long. For some players, if they're gonna step up and be a legit player year 3 is when it happens. Consequently, if it doesn't happen by then its likely the player will be nothing more than a JAG.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently, Morris is happy with the progress David Long is making. That is indeed good news as it will make this secondary 4 maybe 5 deep at CB (depending upon how Tyler Hall looks). It's becoming more and more likely IMO that Darious Williams isn't expected to stay a Ram next year. I think Rochell moves into his spot. Rochell paired with Ramsey will be awesome. That said David Long's role will also be important so his development is important as he is signed through 2022.

Ramsey, Williams, Long, Orr, Rochel so Hall would make 6 deep.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thankfully Morris is the true judge of Longs progress. Hopefully it’s not smoke and mirrors.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DC Morris depending & expecting David Long to play an important role in this secondary?:sur::not:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Long kicking ass in scrimmage would be nice to see. I don't trust the coachspeak here.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DC Morris depending & expecting David Long to play an important role in this secondary?:sur::not:

If Long can be counted on to provide good coverage regardless of the scheme then it frees up for Morris to play Ramsey much the same way as Staley did, i.e. match him up against the offense's primary WR. A lot of offenses move their #1 WR into the slot to create a mismatch. Having Ramsey take away their #1 WR is a huge advantage if your other CBs can lock down the remaining WRs.

Burgess is primarily a FS with sideline to sideline speed. Can he slide down? Yes, but that wouldn't be the norm IMO. He can take a handoff from a SS over the deep middle. If Morris plays 4 safeties then that would leave Scott to flow to the biggest threat. It is my hope that Morris plays his zone aggressively as did Staley, i.e. drop, read, cover (man) as he's got the secondary to do it.

It's rare for a team to have that kind of depth at safety. Add in the speed at CB and it's an OC nightmare to try to design a play to counter. This team can be truly special on both sides of the ball and yes Long would have an important role.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Ramsey, Williams, Long, Orr, Rochel so Hall would make 6 deep.
They keep that many CBs, then they go light at S? Or OLB? Or maybe ILB? Maybe no #3 QB?

They will be cutting some good young players regardless, but I don't see 6 CBs, considering Burgess can play CB as well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They keep that many CBs, then they go light at S? Or OLB? Or maybe ILB? Maybe no #3 QB?

They will be cutting some good young players regardless, but I don't see 6 CBs, considering Burgess can play CB as well.
I’d wager five with a sixth on the practice squad.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree 5 looks likely with this group. But teams may change that, not sure how each of those guys on the bottom of the roster have looked on the coverage teams and whatnot.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have always been impressed with Long's ability to mirror in man coverage, hopefully he puts it all together this year

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yep the anti-Hopkins group.

I don’t know. Went to camp which doesn’t mean much. The Rams kept bringing in CB’s. I got on David Long to get more physical.Ifnhe does that I think he will be alright.He is always right there in coverage.

What about DD #21. I’m a week behind so this week I should have a better idea again on the roster. Talking 90 plus players that have been shoveling around training camp.

Malibu

Pro Bowler

I hope Rams prioritize DWill. Too good to let go imo. Top 10 2nd CBs don't exist hardly.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Hopefully he can hold off Rochelle who seems to be coming for his job like a freight train and is more athletic. Its a good problem to have though. If D Will has another big season maybe we decide to let him walk and move one of these two to the outside to fill in. Doubt we give D Will a big contract with the youngins behind him and Ramseys big contract.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it's been the Ram's intention to allow Williams to walk. I expect them to make an offer but if he has another big season there is no way they can match. Remember almost the entire OL will be FA next year so they need to sign them first. I believe Rochell has been William's replacement since he was drafted.

Long has this year and next under contract so that will give them depth at CB. Also, Williams could bring a high comp pick so I'm sure that plays into the equation as well. The way Snead drafts who knows who they will find next year. That said it's going to be hard to match this year's draft. Starters this year and future starters and key rotational players within 3 years with every pick.

Even Chris Garrett has flashed this year despite coming in a clear developmental prospect. Garrett dropped in the draft because he lacks long speed. But as a DE he doesn't need long speed. Having an explosive first step, playing with power and short area quickness are more important. He flashed that against the Chargers. Garrett reminds me of Morgan Fox in his potential developmental curve. If he can accelerate that he can be a decent depth talent. Foremost he must hit the weight room hard and build himself up to NFL standards. Like Fox, Chris lacks long speed but Fox showed that can be compensated by improving his first step and his strength. Of the draft class he's the only one that looks like a PS candidate which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's next year when he will contend for a roster spot after basically taking a red-shirt year on the PS.

TexasRam

Legend
Long kicking ass in scrimmage would be nice to see. I don't trust the coachspeak here.
I don’t either. I have zero faith in long but hope I am totally wrong. I don’t mind the coach talking up long. It’s the classy thing to do and has a valuable purpose.